Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BSA 1900 No 1 Sporter q's

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Euan
.224 member

Reged: 18/02/13
Loc: Central Otago, New Zealand.
Re: BSA 1900 No 1 Sporter q's [Re: eljefedouble]
      #252424 - 20/08/14 06:54 PM

That I know eljefe.
I have had a lee speed on my mind for a long time. When I was 17 years young i had the chance to shoot a lovely wee lee speed carbine. I took the chance and shot it. I shot 3 deer with it and have wanted to own one ever since. It has taken a long time to finally get around to getting the carbine done. am very happy with how it has come along. Mr Gruff has a great eye for these classic rifles.
Cheers Euan.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: BSA 1900 No 1 Sporter q's [Re: Euan]
      #252597 - 24/08/14 02:08 PM

It is time to call these two rifles done. I have been out playng with mine this morning but am only fireforming brass till our WDIL group buy mould gets here soI can do any load development. Euan will pick his up next weekend when the oil has hardened off a little although it really needs a month or two to really come good. That is why the modern finishes are preferred by most as they are a quick turn around item.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Edited by VonGruff (24/08/14 02:12 PM)

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: BSA 1900 No 1 Sporter q's [Re: VonGruff]
      #252598 - 24/08/14 02:11 PM

The two different sighting systems

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #252600 - 24/08/14 04:12 PM

Very good looking rifles. Do they have any kind of checkerings ?

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: BSA 1900 No 1 Sporter q's [Re: Igorrock]
      #252612 - 25/08/14 10:35 AM

No, checkering is something I haven't tried as yet.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #252620 - 25/08/14 02:51 PM

Quote:

No, checkering is something I haven't tried as yet.

Seems that you now have a good reason to try...

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Jorge_in_Oz
.224 member

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #255669 - 24/10/14 03:56 PM

Nice work!!

--------------------
“The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
      #256663 - 13/11/14 10:16 AM

With respect to the inference that set was roughly machined, I am at a complete, profound and utter loss. Have you blokes compared these to other sets of any style that are/were on the market?

The last one of these I fitted up took me a little over 5 hrs and was machined very slightly tighter than the set you worked. I am certainly not the quickest around. That time also included a bit of outside work matching the outside to the socket. Some go easier than others. The first one I did took me longer, naturally.

Tolerances of outside dimensions on actions and barrels vary quite a bit (in stock making terms). The sets are machined so that metalwork at the minimum end of the scale of things will likely still be able to be fitted with no gaps - or at least a minimum. I have nil interest in turning out "easy fit" sets because when folk see the result, it is the bloke who machined the set who cops the "tut tut tut's".

A good stockmaker will take the excess wood out with a minimum of fuss. There are a few tricks to inletting these, and the first few will take a fair bit longer than the job would take an experienced stocker. There is no substitute for patience and time stocking these things, they are one of the more time consuming magazine rifles. Unless by pure arse, if they were skinned out much further I'd have some folk whingeing about gaps.

The forend from memory is a copy of a genuine sporter owner by engraver Ron Croxon, cut a little shorter. It had a slightly longer and fuller forend, but was the most evenly profiled forend of the handful I have. I do have the shorter pattern forends. I especially like to machine the barrel channels a little tight because the axis of the action threads on these actions points all over the show, giving the impression the forend has warped. Too, not many of these barrels are actually straight. I also take into account that the profiles vary somewhat. A little extra wood is a good idea both on the inside and out.

I really think for a decent stocker, fitting these sets is a doddle. Compared to making the stock from the blank they are a joy to fit. Or at least should be.

All things considered I think it best for me to withdraw these sets from general sale, and supply them only to folk I know are accomplished, and avoid potential hassles.

Euan, if you are not happy, please email me and we will sort it out, no fuss from my end.

VonGruff
.400 member

Re: BSA 1900 No 1 Sporter q's [Re: Juglansregia]
      #256664 - 13/11/14 10:46 AM

Now that is an assumption that is a bit negative. I never said the set was roughly machined and if you read through carefully you will see that I am only a rank amature so that is where the extra time came into this project. There was never an implied or an intended criticism of your stock set and I am a bit puzzled that you would take the tone you have.

Obviously, from your comments, I am not a decent stocker so I apologise for any depreciative intent you have taken from anything I have said. I guess I should not post anything else I muddle my way through to save the sensativities of the experts.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Juglansregia
.275 member

Reged: 20/04/08
Loc: Tasmania
      #256668 - 13/11/14 01:41 PM

Respectfully, I considered your statement to the effect of the set being 90% machined as being a "misnomer", and given the literal meaning of the word I think I have very fair grounds for my reaction. I considered those few words very carefully, and I tried hard to make no hasty assumptions. My interpretation of those words and what seemed to be the context of their use, was that you were not happy with the quality of the machining job, because they took you so long to fit - and therefore that my work was responsible for that. Those words made me feel as though you thought the set had been mis-represented, which I do take personally. Hence my use of the term "rough" machining as by labelling it a misnomer, you clearly didn't think the job a clean one.

I have no problems with you stating your viewpoint, or posting it. My other comments were made to state my viewpoint, and to attempt to qualify it. Perhaps you could qualify your opinion about the inletting/machining "misnomer" - as it is the sole basis for my original post?

I had and have no wish to make a direct, or subversive, attempt at denigration of the quality of your own work - but rather make statements based on my own experiences. I would not ever have the desire to spoil someones enjoyment of this work. However in reflection I can see how you may have taken my comments personally, especially considering "assumptions and sensibilities". My use of the term "decent stocker" was admittedly not the best choice of words, and would have been much better written as "professional stocker" or "accomplished stocker" to best put my words into perspective and avoid unintentional offense. Other than that I think the statement is a fair point, made in a democratic forum.

My only intention was to state my objection about the "misnomer", which remains, as does my explanation of it. Perhaps my willingness to state things from my perspective could be regarded as a positive rather than a negative? There are two sides to a coin.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19798

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com