Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Double rifles with shotgun barrels

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Double rifles with shotgun barrels
      #252245 - 16/08/14 06:48 PM

Looking for people's experience with using a set of shotgun barrels on their double rifles.

Actual experience of use, not theory.

Say what your DR is and what are your shotgun barrels. Also if the DR is set up for open sights or a scope. As also the butt stock/comb of the stock, is it set up for open sights or a scope.

How does the gun handle as a shotgun?

Probably has been asked before, but interested in the discussion anew. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwanabobftw
.375 member

Reged: 29/12/04
Loc: Texas
Re: Double rifles with shotgun barrels [Re: NitroX]
      #252311 - 18/08/14 11:23 AM

I have 2 round action Chapuis with extra 28 gauge BBLs. One in 30/30 and the other in 7X57R , they both have scopes . I shoot the 28 gauges a lot (300 to 400 rounds a month on clays). and the 30/30 is my go to gun at our ranch. Never had any trouble with the combination. I would be hard pressed to have a better setup.
Robert

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Double rifles with shotgun barrels [Re: bwanabobftw]
      #252316 - 18/08/14 02:48 PM

John my Mahillon 16 bore rifle is a two barrel set, with 12 bore gun barrels.

Open sights, straight grip, hammers (remember it's a pinfire double rifle), same forend for both sets of tubes.

Handles beautifully, fast and sweet.
I love that rifle - handles really nicely as a gun too.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Double rifles with shotgun barrels [Re: tinker]
      #252329 - 18/08/14 09:59 PM

My Kreighoff O/U .458 double rifle has 20 gauge 3" Magnum shot barrels, choked modified and full. I used them to good effect on ducks and sand grouse in Kenya. Of course the balance is different, but shooting with them at clays certainly improved my comfort level and familiarity with the double triggers. All my other O/U's (Perazzi, Beretta, Browning) have single triggers.

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Re: Double rifles with shotgun barrels [Re: xausa]
      #252356 - 19/08/14 09:06 AM

Great point Xausa makes. Shooting lots of clays with the same gun you might have to stop a charge with is an added bonus !!!!!!! A lot easier to shoot 100 rounds of shotshells than a hundred rounds of .470 (and cheaper).
Robert

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#252369 - 19/08/14 06:08 PM

Some really good points and comments.

I have heard negative comments in the past and also take them on board. Such as the stocking not being good for shotgun use. Perhaps the comb being setup too high for "open sights" or the bead on a shotgun. Not being properly balanced for the shotgun barrels.

All valid points, or can be depending on the situation. I picked up one of my shotguns yesterday, my most pretty shotgun, but it is not the best shooter, and seems to be stocked for trap shooting, shooting high, even though a side by side field shotgun.

Shotgun barrels on a double rifle are definitely a compromise. The question is whether they are a worthwhile one or not. I think it depends on the individual gun/rifle.

xausa, I like the point about using the DR with shotgun barrels on clay target shooting. Even if the balance is different a great way to shoot off hundreds or thousands of rounds in practice.

All of my double rifles and shotguns have two triggers except for one! The one I will talk about below. I do have a two trigger setup for it, which needs a gunsmith to replace the existing single trigger. Then it will be usuable! For a two trigger guy.

tinker, interesting to have 12 bore shotgun barrels with 16 bore rifle barrels. Which were actually first? I guess the 16 bore with more common 12 bore shotgun barrels added.

Bwana, 28 gauge barrels - did you choose that bore, or was it to match the lighter barrels of .30 and 7mm?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#252370 - 19/08/14 06:40 PM

I am really a dummkopf. After posting the question I remembered I have one myself.

Probably did not consider it as it is an U/O and not a good one. I was thinking side by sides. Also a different future gun completely.

My double rifle with shotgun barrels, actually also has a second set of DR barrels and two combination sets. I bought the gun with 9.3x74R dr barrels and the shotgun barrels. Then later added the other three sets, a .30-06 dr set, which may get converted to .30 Super one day, just because. And combination sets in 12 gauge and .223 and 7x65R.

The gun is a Tikka 512 SD, the DR open sights on the U/O 9.3x74R are aweful and next to useless. I would like to find something to replace them with. So it wears a scope in Valmet QD mounts. The but stock seems OK with a scope. The dr is a real compromise and not very good but usable. It is actually very accurate. The barrels are self adjustable. I have had a problem with its regulation "changing" in the past, during a hunt, so had to use it as a single shot, with a second barrel for close shots as needed.

It is setup with a single seectable trigger. I have purchased a replacement two trigger setup but it needs to be fitted. The single trigger is quite good. I hope the two trigger setup will not be lesser.

The shotgun barrelled setup is more than fine and it shoots well. U/O configuration. Removable chokes which is versatile and my only shotgun with changeable chokes. The stocking is fine for shotgunning. I dislike the forend, its catch is not good enough, I have had the forend come off while shooting it more than two times.

The other barrel sets are gathering dust. Need some minor fitting. I purchased them to ensure they were in hand. Need a good gunsmith closer to home than interstate. Will check out one SA guy who is said to be good. Usually gunsmiths have long lead times and this gun/rifle is used quite a lot. Have to just bite the bullet and send them off for ## months or # years!

Put together a long list last night of gunsmithing needs and this thread has added two! The double trigger, dr barrel sights and forend catch.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#252371 - 19/08/14 06:43 PM

I asked this question due to a future project. A side by side DR with a .375 flanged barrels or .450/400 set, plus maybe shotgun barrels. Maybe 20 gauge barrels would be the "right fit"?

Any thoughts?

Keep posting thoughts on shotgun barrels in general, use of them etc. Interesting comments so far.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #252386 - 20/08/14 12:39 AM

Quote:

tinker, interesting to have 12 bore shotgun barrels with 16 bore rifle barrels. Which were actually first? I guess the 16 bore with more common 12 bore shotgun barrels added.

John it's a super high grade set, oak/leather two-tier case with tools and kit.
There's over 20 animals in the engraving with both deer and bird hunting scenes. Definitely built as a two barrel set.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

jaz
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: Northeast US
      #252402 - 20/08/14 09:34 AM

I have a Westley Droplock in 470 which is getting fitted for 375 Flanged magnum and 20 bore barrels.
I like your thinking...

bwanabobftw
.375 member

Re: Double rifles with shotgun barrels [Re: jaz]
      #252405 - 20/08/14 10:42 AM

John
Chapuis offers the "round action" with a choice of a number of rifle bbls. and only the 28 gauge in shotgun chambering. I love the 28 gauge it "hits" like a 20 and carries like a .410 !!!!
Robert

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #252411 - 20/08/14 12:52 PM

jaz, how about some photos of that gun when you get it back. WR droplocks are one of my favorite guns.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#252421 - 20/08/14 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

John it's a super high grade set, oak/leather two-tier case with tools and kit.
There's over 20 animals in the engraving with both deer and bird hunting scenes. Definitely built as a two barrel set.

Cheers
Tinker

Have you put photos up on NE already on this? Is so, thanks I will look for it, otherwise please do. Would be great to see good photos of the engraving. If you do, please put it on a new thread in the archive forum. Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double rifles with shotgun barrels [Re: jaz]
      #252422 - 20/08/14 06:39 PM

Quote:

I have a Westley Droplock in 470 which is getting fitted for 375 Flanged magnum and 20 bore barrels.
I like your thinking...

Can't wait to see it when it is all finished. If you are getting any progress photos sent by Westley Richards, please share them here on NE if you are willing. The gunmakers rarely have a problem with the free advertising.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #252491 - 21/08/14 03:30 PM

Actually, TIKKA 512 isnīt any double rifle with shotgun barrels but shotgun with double rifle barrels. Itīs a quite difference...

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

granhaven
.224 member

Reged: 30/12/08
Loc: Denmark
      #255178 - 14/10/14 10:08 PM

Traveling with you gun means trouble with permits, safety regulations, public transport, storage during hunting trips etc. Traveling with two guns, both a rifle and a shotgun, means more trouble, so a single gun with two or more barrel sets makes life easier on the administrative level.

I am aware that my Merkel O/U Double rifles do not really count as doubles in world of NitroX but I shoot them with much joy anyway ;-). I find that my old Merkel 201e 16/70,16/70 with an added 7x65R,7x65R barrel set handles absolutely perfect as a skeet gun and for shooting running boar.

The gun maker building the added double rifle set, has positioned the barrels so that there is no real difference when shooting with open sights.
The difference comes when shooting with the scope mounted in the SEM (Suhler Einhack Montage if I remember correctly), unfortunately age does not really help on a driven hunt in poor light conditions, so I started to use the scope on driven hunts.

I would conclude that the scope represents the compromise, not the second set of barrels.
Regards, Granhaven

Eck
.275 member

Reged: 10/09/06
Loc: Burke, VA
Re: Double rifles with shotgun barrels [Re: granhaven]
      #255196 - 15/10/14 07:52 AM

I've been thinking along the same lines. My Chapuis UGEX is stocked so close to my "fitted" measurements that I think some smoothbore barrels would be a nice addition. 16 Gauge would be my first choice, but I don't think the action size would quite allow that one.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Double rifles with shotgun barrels [Re: granhaven]
      #255290 - 16/10/14 11:39 PM

Quote:

I am aware that my Merkel O/U Double rifles do not really count as doubles in world of NitroX but I shoot them with much joy anyway ;-).

Hopefully you mean "NitroExpress.com" not me!

And I think the comment was aimed at my Tikka not U/Oers in general. A lot of users of U/O drs here on NE.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6078

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com