Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A bit of crop protection

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
A bit of crop protection
      #251381 - 01/08/14 06:49 AM

Some crop protection. Rabbits cause a lot of damage to my oaten hay crop, so need some thinning out.

Blitzen guarding the rabbits. He thinks they are his, but I think otherwise. I used my Mauser M03 in .222 Remington. Shots varied from 50 metres to about a 150 metres.

Three nice full sized rabbits, all head shot or upper neck shot. Perfect for the pot, or so I thought. Blitzen thought differently.

Arriving home I left the rabbits hanging in the backyard and commanded Blitzen to "guard" them while I went in for a drink, get a knife and chopping board and then out to get them for dressing. However Blitzen had other ideas, and by the time I got out, all three were buried somewhere in the backyard ... found two of them the next day. He had buried and hid them well. So they were "dressed" for Blitzen's table instead ....

No matter as there are plenty more in the paddocks and vineyards.

I'll be going out to shoot as many as possible in the next few weeks. Perhaps needing to resort to some more drastic measures, such as warren gassing. I prefer to hunt and shoot them instead of course. As I shoot more and more of them, they will become more nocturnal so I will need to get out a hand held spotlight.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: NitroX]
      #251496 - 03/08/14 02:09 PM

Thanks for the write up John! Keep this thread updated? Love seeing pics. Mix up the rifles a bit perhaps?

Cheers, sir!

--------------------

KingBaboon
.224 member

Reged: 25/01/03
Loc: France
Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: Ash]
      #251521 - 04/08/14 04:16 AM

Seeing your bunnies brings back memories of my grandmother's fabulous rabbit stew (best in the world and forever unsurpassed, of course). And, as every time I remember it, my mouth goes watering...

Well done !

Why not tracking them down with a shotgun and the help of your beautiful pointing dog ? That's fun hunting !

--------------------

KBab

KingBaboon
.224 member

Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: KingBaboon]
      #251529 - 04/08/14 07:29 AM

By the way, which species are they ? Looks like european rabbit, Oryctolagus cuniculus .

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#251546 - 05/08/14 01:35 AM

Yes the rabbits would be the same species as in Europe. They were introduced into Australia by the colonialists and proved more than successful with huge plagues of them. After the introduction of myxomatosis and later calici virus they are more controlled. I will have lots of them until it warms up with some humidity when the mosquitoes and calici virus will take a toll of them.

I would love to see the recipe of your grandmothers rabbit stew.

I use a shotgun as well. But when hunting for the pot, I prefer a rifle with less meat damage and no pellets. On the crop the distance is too far for a shotgun. But in the grassy areas a shotgun is perfect. Only one rabbit was shot in the vineyard neighbouring the crop. Shot under the vines several rows in, with only its head poking out around a post.

Have been out on them a couple more times since.

Ash,

I think my .22 Magnum needs re-sighting in. Then it too will get a good workout.

BTW one of the rabbits I shot in the head at about a hundred metres. It flung itself into the air at least a metre. I thought it might be nose shot. When I walked up to it, its head was 75% destroyed. Shows what their nerve reactions and muscle memory can do. Using a .22 RF I know I loose a fair number down burrows just like that. A forked stick put down the hole and twisted will get some of them back out.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #251548 - 05/08/14 02:28 AM

Quote:

Ash,

I think my .22 Magnum needs re-sighting in. Then it too will get a good workout.

BTW one of the rabbits I shot in the head at about a hundred metres. It flung itself into the air at least a metre. I thought it might be nose shot. When I walked up to it, its head was 75% destroyed. Shows what their nerve reactions and muscle memory can do. Using a .22 RF I know I loose a fair number down burrows just like that. A forked stick put down the hole and twisted will get some of them back out.

The .22 Mag is a great little gun..use it a LOT here in Montana..all the way up to coyotes if they are close---100yds or less..kills them..

As to getting the rabbits out of the hole, have you tried twisting a length of barbed wire down the hole??.. we used to pull out wounded fox that way back home...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

KingBaboon
.224 member

#251564 - 05/08/14 07:10 AM

Quote:

I would love to see the recipe of your grandmothers rabbit stew.

OK, here goes le civet de lapin de ma grand-mère :

Ingredients :

- 1 wild rabbit, skinned and gutted (save the liver and, if you can, the blood ; otherwise, pig blood works fine - if no blood available, use dark chocolate - see below)
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 1 big onion
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 100 g bacon in small bits (lardons)
- butter
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 10 cl vinegar
- 10 cl olive oil
- thyme
- laurel
- parsley
- 3 cloves
- salt, pepper, Cayenne hot pepper, nutmeg
- 2 spoons of flour
- brandy, whisky, or any other firewater according to taste.

Chop the rodent into big pieces (hind and forelegs, back, ribcage) and dip it, except the liver, into a marinade composed of the following : wine + vinegar + olive oil + peeled and sliced carrots + sliced onion + garlic + clove + thyme + laurel + parsley + pepper + nutmeg + Cayenne pepper. No salt. Let it soak in the fridge for 2 days.

Take the meat out of the marinade, filter the marinade to separate the liquids from the vegetables.
In a pot, melt the butter and fry the bacon. Once the bacon is fried, take it out and put it aside. fry the meat on all sides, and take it out too. Then fry the vegetables from the marinade. Once the vegetables have been browned, put back the meat and bacon. Pour the flour. Do not stop moving it with a wooden spoon otherwise it will stick and burn. Pour the booze and flame it. Then it's time to add the liquids from the marinade and let it cook gently for a couple of hours. Add salt and rectify the seasoning if needed. 10 minutes before serving, add the liver, and off the fire and at the last moment because it mustn't cook, the blood ; if no blood available, 2 squares of dark chocolate melted in the sauce will give an interesting flavor and unctuosity. Serve with boiled potatoes or fresh pasta.

--------------------

KBab

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #251592 - 06/08/14 12:59 AM

Quote:

BTW one of the rabbits I shot in the head at about a hundred metres. It flung itself into the air at least a metre. I thought it might be nose shot. When I walked up to it, its head was 75% destroyed. Shows what their nerve reactions and muscle memory can do.

John - I used to shoot the European Hares back in South Western Ontario, Canada as a kid. The jumping into the air, as many as 3 times was common for head shots there too. HUGE bunny's that were usually fed to my Belgium Sheepdog, King.
Later, after trying them myself, back-straps and hind legs, they went into stew pot.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#251655 - 07/08/14 01:41 AM

KBab

I will give your grandmother's recipe a try.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: DarylS]
      #251656 - 07/08/14 01:44 AM

Daryl

Normally the dog gets the big ones. I usually like the three-quarters grown ones. But this time was going to use the adult ones.

The next day only shot one small rabbit, maybe one-third size. The dog got that one too.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#277350 - 30/01/16 04:45 PM

I'll have to post a photo of the same spots in Summer after the Rabbit hordes have been there for months. Will see about some photos for this this week. Pity I used the front end loader yesterday to destroy all the entrances to their warrens moving several tonnes of earth and sand but no doubt they have reopened them since.

They have eaten all the leaves off low hanging vine rods for maybe 100 metres down the rows, of course cropped the grass, they are useful for that, plus flattened all the grass in the hay paddock next door. But the coarser grasses on the creek banks are still knee high? Guess they are not preferred grasses, though my cattle when I had them loved it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #277352 - 30/01/16 05:50 PM

I love shooting rabbits. Miss them as many places here the calici and myxo have been too effective.

But a friend has a problem with them, and goats and a few pigs. Time to give the double a work out. It is 5hrs drive however.

Thanks for the photos. We had a GSP that would take bones, meat and catch the occasional possum and bury them. Then dig them up and cover the deck in dirt!

Your vineyard looks lovely. And the whole area is beautiful.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: Rockdoc]
      #277364 - 31/01/16 06:20 AM

Sweet and Sour bunny stew is a good use for bunnies. Long cooking and slowly, then the pineapple, vinegar, sugar to taste - cooked over low heat in a large cauldron - YUMMY!
Bubble, bubble, Toil and Trouble.
"Ah - What trouble?" (Robert Redford to Will Grear in Jeramiah, Johnson, high up on the mountain side by the fire - scrawny snowshoe hare/rabbit (domestic?) on the spit over the open fire)

--------------------
Daryl

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #277370 - 31/01/16 09:40 AM

John,
lamping rabbits, foxes etc. is not possible at nights? Its great fun. I think a 17 hmr would be perfect for rabbits at longer ranges than 22lr.

Maybe you shall renamed your place to "the bunny ranch"

Hasenpfeffer is very good dish to make on rabbit.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: Yochanan]
      #277400 - 01/02/16 06:32 AM

We use our HMR's with mil dot scopes for shooting our Columbia ground Squirrels out to 200yards. The first year using them, we went all the way to 240yards, but had to many crawl-offs. Every year though, if and when I'm using my Martini .17 HMR, I manage a rat at 281/2/3yard mound of holes - 4th mil dot on my scope. At that range, the Marlin HMR will put the bullets all around that rat with him looking at each bullet splash, but the Martini is one shot, one rat.

At 200yards, you can consistently get head and high chest hits. The chest is about 1 1/4" wide, 1 3/4" if looking sideways. Wait, wait, wait, POW/SPUK!

--------------------
Daryl

sbs470
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Loc: Sheffield Tasmania
      #277617 - 06/02/16 09:58 AM

I walked out this morning and counted 2 dozen all within easy range.I must get of my arse and clean then out, there are just to many at the moment.there must be at least 6 black ones running about.I might downsize to a .22 short as they are so close.Damn things barely get out of my way either on the tractor or quad bike
I might get the Powell out and roll a few over with some Grand Prix paper cartridges.any way you look at it those rabbits are going.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: sbs470]
      #277620 - 06/02/16 10:26 AM

That would be fun with a semi-22LR handgun, like - Ruger, Browning, Colt or Harrington&Richardson match pistols!

--------------------
Daryl

sbs470
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Loc: Sheffield Tasmania
      #277624 - 06/02/16 11:55 AM

Daryl
I couldn't hit the ground with a pistol unless I threw it.Thats why I load my Lancaster pistol with 410 shot shells to give me half a chance.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: sbs470]
      #277626 - 06/02/16 01:05 PM

LOL

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: Rockdoc]
      #277659 - 07/02/16 08:33 PM

Quote:

I love shooting rabbits. Miss them as many places here the calici and myxo have been too effective.

But a friend has a problem with them, and goats and a few pigs. Time to give the double a work out. It is 5hrs drive however.

Thanks for the photos. We had a GSP that would take bones, meat and catch the occasional possum and bury them. Then dig them up and cover the deck in dirt!

Your vineyard looks lovely. And the whole area is beautiful.

If you are ever in this area, give me a call (before hand preferably) and drop by.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#277660 - 07/02/16 08:39 PM

Quote:

Sweet and Sour bunny stew is a good use for bunnies. Long cooking and slowly, then the pineapple, vinegar, sugar to taste - cooked over low heat in a large cauldron - YUMMY!
Bubble, bubble, Toil and Trouble.
"Ah - What trouble?" (Robert Redford to Will Grear in Jeramiah, Johnson, high up on the mountain side by the fire - scrawny snowshoe hare/rabbit (domestic?) on the spit over the open fire)

Never thought of sweet and sour rabbit. Something to try too. Rabbit not being a lot different to chicken in some respects such as texture, but different flavour, sweet and sour should work fine. Good idea.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: Yochanan]
      #277661 - 07/02/16 08:47 PM

Quote:

John,
lamping rabbits, foxes etc. is not possible at nights? Its great fun. I think a 17 hmr would be perfect for rabbits at longer ranges than 22lr.

Maybe you shall renamed your place to "the bunny ranch"

Johan,

Most Aussies do most of their "hunting" of rabbits and foxes and sometimes "everything else" with a spotlight.

Very possible for me to spotlight rabbits if I wanted. I could probably shoot a few dozen on my place by spotlight if I wanted and could be bothered. If I wanted to seriously shoot them down in numbers this is the way. Vine rows do make it harder, need to use a centrefire as the range can be further out and easy for a bunny t swap rows.

I just prefer to hunt by day and on foot.

I have a .22 Mag and numerous .222's and a .223 combination so don't need a .17 HMR. Telling myself that anyway. Lots of new ammo to try in the .22 Mag first.

Quote:

Can you point me to a recipe for this? A peppery rabbit dish from the sounds of it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#277662 - 07/02/16 08:52 PM

Five more bunnies in the freezer. Fleas are starting to get active. Dog brought me the first one with myxo or calici I have seen so far this year.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #277667 - 08/02/16 01:03 AM

When I was a boy, a friend and I would walk the rail road tracks out of town shooting rabbits. We would shoot as many as we could carry and then head back. He was a couple years older than I was and when he got old enough to drive, he bought and old pickup truck. We would take turns driving and the other guy would walk slightly ahead of the truck and off to one side and head shoot the rabbits with a .22 long rifle shell. We did this at dusk and only hunted them after the first snow or real cold snap, as that would kill off the sick ones.

We did this out in the country along the many dirt roads we had around here back then. Usually we would wait till the snow plows had pushed though the roads and pushed up large snow banks on either side of the road. It was best to pick an East/West road, if possible, because our prevailing winds usually comes out of the North in the winter. The Rabbits would burrow down into the snow banks on the North side to get out of the wind and we could shoot them there at very close range. Head shots only!

We did this at dusk and only hunted them after the first snow or real cold snap as that would kill off the sick ones. His Dad was laid off one winter and they didn't have much to live on. He and I filled their freezer with Rabbits, Quail, Pheasants, Squirrels, and Deer, they didn't eat too bad that winter! We would shoot rabbits till dark or till we got as many as we wanted to clean that night. His Mom would have a good hot supper ready for us, and after supper we would clean rabbits till almost bedtime. If I had any homework to do that night it meant a real late bedtime for me.

One of the things I loved to make was rabbit sausage, we would bone out several rabbits and cut up a bunch of pork fat into cubes, then run the whole thing though a grinder. We would buy packets of sausage seasoning at a locale store and would mix in about three teaspoons of that for each pound of ground meat. It was wonderful stuff to eat on a cold morning along with your eggs and homemade toast!
Bob

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A bit of crop protection [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #277738 - 09/02/16 11:09 PM

Rabbit sausage is a new idea.

Very different where you are to here, here usually bunny hunting is done in hot and dusty places.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13853

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com