Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Frighttening Experience

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Metswedi
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/05
Loc: Yorks. England
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: BigRx]
      #25240 - 27/01/05 09:42 AM

Best wishes for a speedy recovery mate.

Had a 9mm from a Sterling SMG come back at me in my army days on the 25m range. Only noticed it when I heard a clang from the hand rail behind my firing point.

The backstop was made of old railway sleeper type material and I'd hit an old steel bolt in the wood.( which should have been removed Mr Range Safety Officer!!! ) Just goes to show it can happen to anybody anywhere. No telling what will happen once the bullet has left the muzzle.

Chin up and get well soon!!!

--------------------
Perfer et obdura!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Karl
.275 member

Reged: 28/05/03
Loc: South Pacific
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: Metswedi]
      #25251 - 27/01/05 06:20 PM

Not that I'm telling poor old Vlad anything new but if its hardened metal it certainly can bounce the bullets back at you, and in a disturbingly straight line too.

You either get the bullet right through it.

The bullet splashes to oblivion.

Or you have a potential situation.

I've had soft stuff like 22's, buckshot pellets, and 12 ga slugs come back at me from penetration tests.Hit once by the buckshot, not hard though. 12ga slug missed by a few inches-I heard it buzz past.

Karl.

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: vladimir]
      #25283 - 28/01/05 09:54 AM

Vlad:

Many good thoughts heading your way. Make sure you take all the time YOU need to get better.

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #25501 - 01/02/05 07:15 AM

Vlad

I hope all is well and that you can stop eating jello as soon as possible.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #25519 - 01/02/05 03:01 PM

Vladimir,

Thank you for posting this information. We all need to be mindful of gun safety, particularly when our activity is not obviously unsafe.

Like everyone else, I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

It is interesting to hear other people relate their experiences with surprise ricochets. I too have an experience to pass on. Fortunately, nobody got hurt.

DoubleD's story is closest to mine.

Many years ago (about 1970) when I was in high school I spent summer afternoons shooting a Model 19 Smith & Wesson .357 Mag. I had no money for ammo, so I cast bullets from a Lyman mould. 158 gr. Keith style semi-wadcutters cast from wheel weights. I loaded light loads - 5.0 gr. Unique.

My friend and I were hunting groundhogs one afternoon. We came upon a discarded Coca-Cola bottle in the pasture near a fence line. I picked it up and placed it on top of a fence post. From about 25 yards I shot it with my .357 Mag. On the report of the gun the bottle shattered, and my friend, standing beside me, stepped back in pain. The bullet had rebounded from its impact with the bottle, and hit him in the neck.

Fortunately, there was no injury. He said it felt like somebody poked him in the neck with a fist. In fact, from the corner of his eye he saw the bullet fall to the ground. We quickly found it in the grass. I still have it somewhere.

My friend always has joked about the day I shot him with my .357! I'll bet he's glad it wasn't a .458.

Best wishes,
CptCurl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #25525 - 01/02/05 06:25 PM

Vladimir

I am sorry to hear about your accident and I wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks also for the warning.

I used to shoot a .22 in a quarry at paper targets (sighting in etc) but discontinued that location when I heard a .22 bullet come whizzing back passed my ear after a ricochet off a rock. The local police used to use the same quarry on my land to practice with shotguns and their .357 wadcutters and I always wondered about how many ricochets they were getting. You would find occasional expended wadcutters in all sorts of places.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Brian
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: NY (Delaware County)
Re: Frighttening Experience [Re: Metswedi]
      #25580 - 03/02/05 02:34 AM

I have shot quite a bit on steel targets with rifles and handguns. I am currently deployed in Iraq, and immediately prior to this deployment I attended a course where in we shot over 3000 rds of 9mm and 5.56 and 7.62 per person in a weeks time. From as close as 10 meters out to 100 meters. No accidents, no injuries. The ammunition was almost all FMJ, some of it M855 ball. No problems at all.

I think the issue is whether or not the target is rigid (as mentioned by a previous poster) All of the steel I have shot has been either hanging, pivoting, or swinging. All had the ability to move when struck by a bullet.Commonly referred to as reactive targets. The use of steel targets for tactical training is the norm. Spalling was observable but what we saw was a radial dispersion of fragments upon the bullet striking the target surface. From 10 meters away, you would see bullets spall up and drop to the ground, occasionally see a piece of spall loop up in the air and come back towards the firing line but in a manner similar to if you picked a piece off the gournd and lobbed it underhand towards the target.

Rifles were limited to a minimum distance of 25 meters. You could observe rounds hit and really smalck the targets but they all disintegrated. The targets would really get hammered, swing wildly on thier chains. We also used what are called pepper Poppers which pivot at the base. Same results.

I would surmise that firing a round at an extremely rigid steel target that would not have any give to it would cause that to happen, just like shooting a BB at plywood. Yes, they richochet badly. Same principle.
Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Brian

LTC, IN
Back from Afghanistan
Life Member A.H. Fox Gun Collectors Assoc.
Endowment Member NRA
Delaware County, NY

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7300

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com