Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil
      #251121 - 27/07/14 02:19 PM

Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil

Fiona Keating
By Fiona Keating
July 26, 2014 12:16 BST

Farmers hunting in the northern Brazil were attacked and killed by giant anteaters in two separate incidents.

"Both were farmers, were hunting and attacked by wounded or cornered animals," lead author Vidal Haddad of the Botucatu School of Medicine at Sao Paulo State University told AFP.

In one incident, a 47-year-old man was out hunting with his two sons and dogs when they cornered a giant anteater in northern Brazil. The man didn't shoot the mammal, which is closely related to the sloth, but came towards it with his knife drawn.

The anteater stood on its hind legs ‒ an adult can reach a height of nearly 6ft ‒ and grabbed the man with its forelimbs. Its claws caused deep puncture wounds in his thighs and upper arms.

The hunter bled to death at the scene, according to the report, which stated that the encounter happened on 1 August 2012. However, the attack was not recounted in scientific literature until recently.

The case studies of two fatal maulings by giant anteaters were released in the journal Wilderness and Environmental Medicine, which has an online edition this month, ahead of its December print issue.

In 2010, at a separate incident, a 75-year-old man was killed when an anteater used its long front claws – normally used to help dig into anthills ‒ punctured his femoral arteries, located in the groin and thigh.

"These injuries are very serious and we have no way of knowing whether it is a defence behaviour acquired by the animals," said Haddad.

Wildlife researchers are concerned that the attacks happened because of the loss of the animals' habitat, which may cause them to defend themselves.

The mammals are not usually aggressive toward people, as their diet consists of ants and termites. When a territorial dispute occurs, they vocalise, swat, and can sometimes sit on or even ride the back of their opponents

They are considered a vulnerable species by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN), because of deforestation and human settlements that are making inroads on their territory.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/two-hunters-attacked-killed-by-giant-anteaters-brazil-1458436

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil [Re: lancaster]
      #251124 - 27/07/14 03:04 PM

Quote:

Wildlife researchers are concerned that the attacks happened because of the loss of the animals' habitat, which may cause them to defend themselves.

I don't so at all, other than increased human wildlife interaction. The animals aren't acting differently. Except maybe more human interaction and more media attention.

Just shows any capable wildlife will defend itself when needed. From sable antelope and wildebeest, to cattle. Anteaters are a new one however.

Thanks Lancaster, I had a tab open on that very story. Now I don't have to post it myself!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil [Re: NitroX]
      #251130 - 27/07/14 05:26 PM

my first thought on the headline was how a andeater can kill you, dont think about the long claws

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil [Re: lancaster]
      #251340 - 31/07/14 01:24 PM

"Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil"

Attacked! What!?!?

Reads more like dumb ass gets too close to Giant Anteater and pays the ultimate price.

Here's another: "Man is attacked and torn to shreds while trying to ride tiger".

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil [Re: Buchsemann]
      #251376 - 01/08/14 01:39 AM

or: "Man loses hand trying to feed a tiger in the zoo."

or - Jasper National Park News:

"Luckily, Park Rangers today stopped a man who was walking towards a bear with his child at arms length. The tourist said he wanted to get a picture of the baby on the nice grizzly bear's back."

Too much Disney?

Yes it happened as noted - 1986 or 87 - only the 'headline' is phony. We - my wife and I, were driving past on MC and saw this happen- could not believe ANYONE could be so stupid. I will not divulge the State listed on the licence plate - well, OK - California.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil [Re: DarylS]
      #251386 - 01/08/14 08:08 AM

Anteaters obviously have a clear understanding of human anatomy and target the femoral artery area.

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
Re: Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil [Re: Claydog]
      #252366 - 19/08/14 03:54 PM

I think this proves that the animals DO really get together to laugh, play, and talk (in English) as Disney has been telling us for decades in their animated documentaries. Obviously, now things have taken a turn what with the Great Apes conspiring, banding together and revolting against man, and the Brazilian anteaters studying human anatomy.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Two Hunters Attacked and Killed by Giant Anteaters in Brazil [Re: A10ACN]
      #252368 - 19/08/14 05:48 PM

Quote:

... and the Brazilian anteaters studying human anatomy.

AC10, Just in case you are mistaken and not doubly sarcastic(?), and in case you speak a foreign language, like German or American , our friend Claydog's use of the word "obviously" indicates a clear use of sarcasm.

Just explaining just in case, and teasing above.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (19/08/14 06:45 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2589

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com