Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Turkish Mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
John303
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/06
Loc: Canada
Turkish Mauser
      #250969 - 24/07/14 09:18 AM

Convinced myself I needed a large ring small thread 98 Mauser, decided to try for a
Turk. Knew nothing else about them, you know workmanship, finish any other differences etc.
Any way I put an add in the EE section of Canadian Gunnutz for a receiver / action.
The end result was the purchase of a barreled receiver and a mismatched bolt. The first thing
I noticed was the metal was quite well done as in smooth, the 29" barrel which is just like new, the pear shaped bolt handle, the extension on the ejector that is part of the high stripper clip guides and of course the front ring extension.
All in all I,m pleased with it all. Date of refurb by the Turks was 1935. I would suppose any 98
bottom metal will fit and I have several candidates.
Anybody out there have one sporterized etc. Any comments will be appreciated. --- John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rgg_7
.275 member

Reged: 22/10/07
Re: Turkish Mauser [Re: John303]
      #250970 - 24/07/14 09:46 AM

Turk Mauser is an intermediate Mauser action so it's limited to the spacing of these action...1909 Peruvian, 1935 Argentine, commercial Oberndorf and customs such as those by Duane Weibe. The extension in part is a lip to support the rear handguard. This feature is generally machine off for a sporter action. It will leave a receiver that is longer than a large ring Mauser. Since these are small ring thread I believe they can be turned down to "early Rigby" profile. Anybody done this? The high clip bridge is another great feature...short be able to rework to just about any caliber you want for stripper clip feed. Workmanship is excellent....make a great retro sporter. Ron

Edited by rgg_7 (25/07/14 06:05 AM)

redoak
.224 member

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: Michigan
Re: Turkish Mauser *DELETED* [Re: rgg_7]
      #250976 - 24/07/14 01:07 PM

Post deleted by redoak

wjw
.275 member

Reged: 05/06/10
Loc: b.c.
Re: Turkish Mauser [Re: redoak]
      #250978 - 24/07/14 03:33 PM

Guard screw spacing is that of a standard Mauser. Bolt is intermediate length. Receiver ring is longer than the standard and this may become an issue if you intend to restock the rifle.

Bill

rgg_7
.275 member

Reged: 22/10/07
Re: Turkish Mauser [Re: wjw]
      #250994 - 25/07/14 05:52 AM

I'll look at mine. There's lots of weird things with the Turk Mauser. Spec sheet states mounting spacing 7.835".Mag box however much shorter than lg ring 3.115" versus 3.315". Bottom metal won't be easy to deal with...I had hope to modify a slant box Siamese to my Turk however just could not make it work dimensionally. Ron

Edited by rgg_7 (25/07/14 06:08 AM)

Tentman
.300 member

Reged: 13/06/10
Loc: Southland, New Zealand
Re: Turkish Mauser [Re: rgg_7]
      #251000 - 25/07/14 09:25 AM

Hello Folks

I have an intermediate, large ring, small shank commercial mauser sporter action dated 1910 that I was saving for a special project (as I understand it, this wash the action Rigby used for their original "275 Rigby" rifles) but as noted above the mag box is "different" which poses a few challenges. The original stock on my rifle is well beyond repair, bubba has sanded it so the mag box stands out 1/4" - enough to make one cry.

I have just talked with a stock duplicator here in NZ, and he is prepared to "marry" the inlet of my rifle with the profile of a modern stock, either a Ruger 77, or maybe a "modern rigby" pattern that I have.

Is anyone interested in a joint project on this, I would envisage producing a pattern stock that I can send on to your locations to be reproduced in your wood.

Foster

--------------------
Southland, New Zealand

Edited by Tentman (25/07/14 09:27 AM)

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: Turkish Mauser [Re: Tentman]
      #251004 - 25/07/14 11:47 AM

You could always get a stock made in the preferred style as a one off. Not too hard to do.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

BwanaBob
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
Re: Turkish Mauser [Re: John303]
      #252722 - 26/08/14 05:34 PM

One other issue, that you need to be aware of with the 1903 Turkish, is that while it is a large ring action, externally, it uses a small ring barrel shank.

This means that while you can rebarrel a Turkish to any of the standard calibres, such as those based on the .30/06 or 8x57 cartridges, you probably shouldn't use any of the magnum cartridges in this action. I have one in .35 Whelan and it works fine but I wouldn't like to put a fatter cartridge case into one!

--------------------
"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Turkish Mauser [Re: BwanaBob]
      #252740 - 26/08/14 08:08 PM

Winchester Model 70's have a smaller ring than the large ring Mauser and the barrel thread is 1" x 16 tpi. They never have any problems with magnum cartridges with a 0.532" head diameter. They also have no C-Ring and the bolt raceway is broached right through the action and threads, therefore they are missing a substantial amount of thread. They never have any problems though with high pressure ammunition.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3424

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com