Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Do you ever think you have too many rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
Do you ever think you have too many rifles
      #250768 - 20/07/14 07:19 PM

Im beginning to think I have too many rifles. I know that might sound ridicules, (It sure would have sounded that way to me a few years ago). Looking in my vault, I realized I never hunted with more than a few rifles, that I just "had to have". Some werent expensive (Baikals), and a couple were just "So right" that I "knew" Id use them for a hunt; but I always took something different.

The REAL solution is MORE HUNTING; but thats proving harder than I had hoped. Worse, I keep seeing new guns and new calibers I want. Id be happy if I could just take them on hikes; but hiking around here with a rifle would cause the "Hippy Trail Walkers" to piss their pants, even if it was slung on my back and empty. (BTW those are the same types that want the police to call a vet for deer that are struck by cars. One couple were actually injured trying to put a injured deer in their car so they could take it to a vet???)

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Well_Well_Well
.333 member

Reged: 03/01/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Do you ever think you have too many rifles [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #250771 - 20/07/14 07:45 PM

If you know how many rifles you have, it's not enough. :-D

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Do you ever think you have too many rifles [Re: Well_Well_Well]
      #250774 - 20/07/14 09:45 PM

Excess express hit the nail on the head. I was trying to add up my 375s in my head it is not easy. Love them all.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Do you ever think you have too many rifles [Re: Ahmed577]
      #250796 - 21/07/14 04:10 AM

My Mom, 92 yrs. old, asked me this question the other day - "How many guns do you have?"

I countered with "Do you mean how many rifles, shotguns or handguns?"

She then countered "all together?" my answer - "I don't know but there are a few more that I want. I don't have any really long range rifles, except for my Sharps".

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Do you ever think you have too many rifles [Re: DarylS]
      #250798 - 21/07/14 04:12 AM

"(BTW those are the same types that want the police to call a vet for deer that are struck by cars. One couple were actually injured trying to put a injured deer in their car so they could take it to a vet???)"

That's hilarious!

--------------------
Daryl

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
      #250805 - 21/07/14 06:36 AM

"To my mind it is actually possible

A few years ago I was looking at them and realized I had rifles and handguns I had not fired in 3-4years.
I thought, "that's ridiculous”, so I took out every gun that was not a family heirloom and listed them all. I then sold everything I was not actually using.

I have not regretted giving many of them up. A few for sure, but not many.

I think they all got “good homes’ and they are now being shot and hunted with, so that better overall.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #250807 - 21/07/14 08:20 AM

Yes...
But somehow, I always find room for more!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: Do you ever think you have too many rifles [Re: Huvius]
      #250813 - 21/07/14 12:02 PM

i look at it as part of my retirement. there value is not stagnet like savings they don't bounce around like the few stocks i have.and i won't mention real estate. instead they slowly mature. try buying a pattern 14 or 17 nowdays.500$ won't touch one. my 1950 model mannlicher that i paid 600 at a gunshow in 96 is now worth around 2500. even the cricket that my kids learned to shoot are up to 175 and mine has a walnut stock.plus when i mention about selling a few my kids (all girls) start complaining that that's theyre future keepsakes from dad.so i keep pickin good deals and hanging on to them.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Do you ever think you have too many rifles [Re: Huvius]
      #250815 - 21/07/14 12:16 PM

Quote:

Yes...
But somehow, I always find room for more!

I resemble that statement..

---

Quote:

My Mom, 92 yrs. old, asked me this question the other day - "How many guns do you have?"

I countered with "Do you mean how many rifles, shotguns or handguns?"

She then countered "all together?" my answer - "I don't know but there are a few more that I want. I don't have any really long range rifles, except for my Sharps".

I am kind of in the same boat..but yes, as stated above, there always DOES seem room for more...think it is cool to have so many you don't really know how many you got..

Plan to buy guns as long as I'm taking in air..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

EDELWEISS
.375 member

#250826 - 21/07/14 05:06 PM

Quote:

"(BTW those are the same types that want the police to call a vet for deer that are struck by cars. One couple were actually injured trying to put a injured deer in their car so they could take it to a vet???)"

That's hilarious!

Brother, youd be amazed. Ive seen folks pick up dogs on the street because they felt sorry for them, and wonder why they got bit...

I really do think, if I had a place I could just take a hike with a rifle either slung or maybe just carried (like a man is supposed to do), even without hunting; it would be so cool. Im not looking to make some sort of "Open Carry" statement, just be a free man in a free country in the woods. Is THAT so much to ask?

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#250846 - 22/07/14 02:39 AM

Quote:

I really do think, if I had a place I could just take a hike with a rifle either slung or maybe just carried (like a man is supposed to do), even without hunting; it would be so cool. Im not looking to make some sort of "Open Carry" statement, just be a free man in a free country in the woods. Is THAT so much to ask?

This is what we have and have done here - there is immense pleasure in just walking slowly through the bush with a rifle, not even disturbing the birds, walking past deer feeding along below you, watching the squirrels,not disturbing the fauna, being part of it - stopping by a huge Spruce, sitting on it's bed of fallen needles, leaning back against of the tree's trunk and contemplating the universe, rifle beside you, or just dosing off into a power nap of an hour or two, the scent of your surroundings gently soothing.

Yes - it's wonderful - it is about as close to "bliss" as possible, however with the problems around the world and even at home today, these bliss-full days are nothing more than memories - something I used to do, many years ago.

EDELWEISS, You have kindled those memories and it's time to do this again.

Today, the knee won't take the rough ground, grinding off the tibia and femur every step, no cartilage left, however - the slow walk through the trees doesn't bother my poor back. Come Sept, after the new knee is installed, perhaps mid Oct and Nov, those blissful walks through the bush will return. What to pack with me? Maybe the .375 or 9.3, or, or, or? Lots of time to decide, time to load ammo and dream of days gone by.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #250863 - 22/07/14 11:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is what we have and have done here - there is immense pleasure in just walking slowly through the bush with a rifle, not even disturbing the birds, walking past deer feeding along below you, watching the squirrels,not disturbing the fauna, being part of it - stopping by a huge Spruce, sitting on it's bed of fallen needles, leaning back against of the tree's trunk and contemplating the universe, rifle beside you, or just dosing off into a power nap of an hour or two, the scent of your surroundings gently soothing.

Yes - it's wonderful - it is about as close to "bliss" as possible, however with the problems around the world and even at home today, these bliss-full days are nothing more than memories - something I used to do, many years ago.

EDELWEISS, You have kindled those memories and it's time to do this again.

Today, the knee won't take the rough ground, grinding off the tibia and femur every step, no cartilage left, however - the slow walk through the trees doesn't bother my poor back. Come Sept, after the new knee is installed, perhaps mid Oct and Nov, those blissful walks through the bush will return. What to pack with me? Maybe the .375 or 9.3, or, or, or? Lots of time to decide, time to load ammo and dream of days gone by.

+1
Can still do some of that here as well..am lucky enough to hunt on some bigger private ranches..don't see another hunter most of the day..and yes, really do enjoy the mid afternoon power naps..waking to the sounds of birds and squirrels.. Life is good on those days..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: Do you ever think you have too many rifles [Re: Ripp]
      #251014 - 25/07/14 04:51 PM

There are plenty of State and National Parks for hiking; but I can just imagine the frighten little birds if I walked past with a fine Merkel or K-gun Drilling wearing tweeds and britches. Heck I could be wearing a KILT and theyd never notice; BUT the police report and news bulletin would sure mention the Belt Fed Flame Throwing Grenade Launcher I was menacing everyone with just by my evil thoughts.

Funny thing is if I passed ME (or any of us here), Id want to chat about the day and the merits of ejectors VS extractors or metric VS inch calibers. Sadly the days of gentlemen doing gentlemanly things have slipped away.

--------------------

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #251030 - 25/07/14 09:35 PM

Yes. I have to many rifles and I keep adding 2 or 3 every year.

I'm not sure if it's "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence". It might also be I'm way to susceptible to magazine advertisements for custom riles. Lastly I might have an actual "problem" and be addicted to rifles.

Oh well, self analysis takes to long, I'm of to my local gun store, they just got a Winchester Featherwieght in 35 Whelen from the Winchester custom shop. I''m pretty sure I can't live without one of those, can I?

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2171

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com