Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: NitroX]
      #250800 - 21/07/14 04:25 AM

Exactly my sentiments about it, John. Given the proper bullets, loads and bullet placement, it will do the job.

There are many other ctgs. and calibres that also become good hunting weapons, but there are always others that excel where some are merely adequate.

A SXS or Marlin would be a terrific hog gun.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: DarylS]
      #252231 - 16/08/14 12:13 PM

A member here uses far less than 45/70's on buffalo and receives only praise. I say go for it.

On the subject of lever actions, anyone see the 50 Alaskan elephant?
A modern 1886 can throw a 525gr (.50-110) at 2100fps..That would be fine for anything as far as i'm concerned. (no real world experience - i've never seen any of these animals in the wild)

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: Ash]
      #252236 - 16/08/14 01:36 PM

Yes - I agree - the .50 Alaskan in a modern lever gun 'should' work well. Again, it comes down to bullet and placement.

Harold Johnson was running 450gr. cup-pointed FMJ's at about 1,850fps to 1,900fps from his M86 in .50 Alaskan and could not keep one inside a brown bear, from any angle. The cup point created extensive cavitation in the tissues. The bullets were made by cutting off 705gr. .5 Browning steel core bullets at the ogive, then reversing them so the boat tailed cup pointed bullet base was loaded foreward.

He said it worked even better than the .450 Alaskan which was running 450gr. bullets at about the same speed. The larger diameter bullet in the .50 Alaskan made quite a difference - on the bears.

lacking experience with this stuff ourselves, we must use other's experience as a guide - that is, other's experience which we trust.

If the ballistics indicate it will work, it comes down to bullet and placement, as John said above.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo. [Re: DarylS]
      #252241 - 16/08/14 02:08 PM

Interesting thread.

A few comments.

I believe the carbine load was actually 55 grains of BP and 405 grain bullet.

Daryl's info on Johnson is good stuff. I interviewed Mr Johnson not long before he died. Very interesting fellow and I wrote it up and it was published in RIFLE Magazine as a sort-of eulogy. He told me his "Big Fifty" as he called it was a prototype and never was completely finished. He sheared a screw on the magazine and monkeyed a fix that included tar-taping to the barrel and used it like that for the rest of his shooting life. Quite a character. Owned a company Alaska Diesel out of Seattle area.

I've owned a Marlin Ballard-rifled .45-70 20" gun since the first year they were made. I've killed deer, bear and a couple big range cattle, one of which due to the perverted sense of humor of the rancher charged me. Hit by a car it had a broken leg, chased the Sheriff's deputy under his patrol car and then took off after the mounted rancher, all of which happened unbeknownst to me. A friend and I were going to walk up to her and shoot her with his .38. I'm glad I decided to test out that new handload from the .45-70!!

Anyway, that load used 45 grains of 3031 + a card and felt wad plus the now-discontinued Lee cast Hollow Point bullet, maybe the best bullet ever made for the .45-70. Not like the 330 Gould bullet, it has a 300 grain shank that acts just like a Nosler Partition. In tests posted here a long time ago, it produced penetration equal to the 300 grain Swift with jug and board damage similar as well.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1244-Bullet-Tests-6-5-Prvi-375-366-Speer-45-70-Repost

That cow that came for me was shot between the eyes and just a smidgen low than a line drawn between the eyes. We recovered the bullet after it had also puled the neck vertebrae and travelled for 24 inches. What would a big range cow {1200-1300 lbs} go compared to Aussie buff? A yearling maybe? I really don't know. Certainly not a big bull.

I really cannot say if it is a good buff load, or rather, I'll say I would not choose it as the velocity is only 1640 fps and the bullet only 402 grains, but it would for sure do in a pinch.

Let's not forget that MANY buffalo/bison were killed with both White-carried and Indian-owned frontloaders, and they were not as a rule loaded very heavy. Of course, on horseback you can afford to stick a bullet in one and follow it till it drops, but no doubt many got away carrying lead. I'm sure not all Indian buffalo killing was done on horseback, either, of course, and also have little doubt it got to be a bit exciting sometimes, too.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10119

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com