Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Inheritance

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Scott_H
.224 member

Reged: 15/07/14
Loc: AZ USA
Inheritance
      #250580 - 17/07/14 01:24 PM

I figure the best introduction is probably to describe what brought me here.

I recently found out that I'm inheriting a Rigby 350. At this point I haven't seen it and don't know much about it other than it's not a double (which if what I've read is correct makes it a Mauser action rifle), and isn't a 400/350 Nitro. That's about the end of what I know about it until I pick it up in a few weeks.

Most of what I'm doing right now is killing time and trying to learn a few things since this is unlike any of my other firearms. To that end I figured I'd ask a few preliminary questions to get things rolling.

First off, I was surprised at the apparent potential value of this rifle. (I couldn't find anything with the Rigby name attached to it listed for under about $8000 when I looked, but then again I didn't do a lot of searching). I'm going to assume the value is towards the low end of the spectrum, but still, are these guns that people still shoot and hunt with? Or should I just plan to display it?

Second, I've already noticed that brass and loaded ammo seems pretty scarce. Are there any good sources for quality brass or ammo out there (Hopefully reasonably priced)? Barring that, is there an easily available case that can be converted? It's ok if it takes lathe work since I'm also a budding machinist.

Finally, can anybody point me to some good general reading or resources for these rifles? I'm just looking for a way to get my feet wet at this point.

Thanks all

--------------------
Not sure when I went from "I know it all" to "I have so much to learn".

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Inheritance [Re: Scott_H]
      #250581 - 17/07/14 01:42 PM

Scott.
Congratulations. Shoot it as often as you can. That is what they were made for. Go through the mauser threads on this site and you should find some good information.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Inheritance [Re: Claydog]
      #250586 - 17/07/14 09:23 PM

You are a lucky man. The only thing I inherited from grandfather was an old type writer and a gazillion newspaper clippings (He was a newspaper and magazine editor. Don't display that rifle, hunt with it, that is what it was made for, you will have a ball. Very envious.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Squarebridge
.300 member

Reged: 21/08/08
Loc: Tennessee
Re: Inheritance [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #250588 - 17/07/14 10:01 PM

Many good threads here on the 350 Rigby in its various forms and guises. Enjoy and treasure your inheritance. Please post detailed photos when you take delivery!

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Inheritance [Re: Squarebridge]
      #250589 - 17/07/14 10:42 PM

Scott, welcome to NitroExpress!
You are in the right place to learn about your new rifle.
I recently had a 350 Rigby Magnum, which sounds to be the chambering yours will be in also. I have brass and dies for it but had started talking to another member here about a sale. That was months ago and I am not sure he still needs them. Will try to figure that out and get back to you on it.
Otherwise, please get pictures up when you receive it and the knowledgable gents here will tell you all you need to know.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Scott_H
.224 member

Re: Inheritance [Re: Huvius]
      #250620 - 18/07/14 08:20 AM

Huvius, as long as it turns out that this rifle is the .350 magnum (which is what I'm hoping), I'll definitely be interested in your brass and dies if the other member doesn't follow through.

I should (should being the operative word) have the rifle in hand by mid August, and I'll be sure to post photos. I'm assuming it isn't anything special from a cosmetic standpoint, but you never know. I expect that it's been locked away for the last 3-4 decades which could be good, or exceptionally bad news.

--------------------

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
      #250621 - 18/07/14 08:34 AM

rigbys,rigbys,rigbys,,..you landed in the right place scott.....paul

Edited by NitroX (27/07/14 02:39 PM)

Scott_H
.224 member

Re: Inheritance [Re: pjaln]
      #250670 - 19/07/14 05:28 AM

Very nice... I'm assuming (looking at the finish on the receivers and barrels) that those rifles haven't received any cosmetic restoration... I've always had an affinity to unrestored antiques.

You know, it's funny, but more than anything I'm hoping that my uncle has an original carrying case like the one in your photo. Even if the rifle looks awful having a matching case would make my week.

--------------------

Edited by Scott_H (19/07/14 05:29 AM)

Scott_H
.224 member

#250677 - 19/07/14 05:49 AM

I forgot that I actually had some info on this rifle from about 4 years ago when my uncle asked me to dig up some load data on it (he doesn't load, but was looking for data to give to someone to load for him).

"Rigby Single Square Bridge Mauser Sporter 350 Magnum (I think MFG in the early 1900s). #85078 on the barrel and chamber. #5078 on the bolt action lever . #78 on the safety lever. # 4905 on the trigger guard and chamber. Inscribed on the barrel is: John Rigby & Co. 4 . 3. Sackville. SE London. W."

Is there any kind of date or S/N decoder available for these rifles? It would be interesting to find out when it was made.

--------------------

Squarebridge
.300 member

Reged: 21/08/08
Loc: Tennessee
      #250689 - 19/07/14 09:08 AM

Well, Rigby moved to 43 Sackville in 1912. Guns international had a 400/350 dated 1908 with a serial in the 22xxx range. Speed's book lists serials in your range in the 1922-23 range? (If I read the info correctly, page 225.). But i think the numbering can be chaotic. Others here will know more precisely.

If I was about to inherit a Rigby 350, I would drive to see it and photograph it if I lived on the moon. Surely someone can take some cell phone pictures of it In this day and age.

Scott_H
.224 member

Re: Inheritance [Re: Squarebridge]
      #250701 - 19/07/14 04:21 PM

I'm sure someone could, but waiting is kind of fun too

Call me strange if you wish. Rushing won't change anything. Why spoil all that great anticipation? (in actuality, a few years ago when we first talked about it, my uncle had trouble figuring out how to send photos. No need to put him through the frustration)

Thanks for the date info by the way.

--------------------

Edited by Scott_H (19/07/14 04:28 PM)

Scott_H
.224 member

#250935 - 23/07/14 12:47 PM

Well, I didn't have to wait until Mid August after all.... Sorry for the lousy photos. Between bad light in my dining room and a crappy cell phone camera, I just couldn't get a shot to come out. I'll have to wait until the light is better to take some high quality photos.

Overall it looks pretty good. The stock has a few dings and dents, but no visible cracks or splits. The butt pad has been replaced, but everything else appears to be original.

Needless to say I'm a pretty happy camper.

Edited by NitroX (27/07/14 02:25 PM)

rgg_7
.275 member

Reged: 22/10/07
Loc: Canada
      #250937 - 23/07/14 01:16 PM

Nice rifle. Does this have the slant box magazine? Stepped receiver? I'm assuming it's engraved "350 Rigby". Ron

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Inheritance [Re: rgg_7]
      #250941 - 23/07/14 02:13 PM

Quote:

Nice rifle. Does this have the slant box magazine? Stepped receiver? I'm assuming it's engraved "350 Rigby". Ron

Looks just like mine did but you have the Rigby cocking piece sight which is really nice to have on a 350.
It is a later action than the step ring actions with the slant magazine so is for the 350 Rimless Magnum.
Congratulations on a fine rifle!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

pjaln
.375 member

Reged: 08/06/06
Loc: massachusetts ,U.S.A.
Re: Inheritance [Re: Huvius]
      #250943 - 23/07/14 02:19 PM

it looks real nice ,,...paul

Scott_H
.224 member

Re: Inheritance [Re: pjaln]
      #250944 - 23/07/14 02:44 PM

Thanks Guys. rgg_7, the engraving says "Rigby 350 Magnum" matching what Hivus said. It came with a box of ammo as well which was nice.

Honestly, I'm too green on my Mauser lore to answer any of the questions about stepped receivers or slant box magazines. I've seen a few references here or there on this site, but that's about it. This is by far the oldest rifle that I own and I'm still wrapping my head around all of its intricacies and trying to figure out some of the do's and dont's for vintage rifles (IE, whether to do more than just clean the stock, or try to track down an OE butt plate for it).

I was a little thrown by the cocking piece sight. Definitely not an item that I've ever seen before. Was it designed to use in addition to the sight leaves, or in place of them? Also, judging by the two unoccupied grooves on the rear side of it, I'm kind of wondering if it isn't incomplete. Is there a good detailed photo of one somewhere that I could compare to?

Thanks again.

--------------------

Edited by Scott_H (23/07/14 02:46 PM)

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #250946 - 23/07/14 03:29 PM

There is only one original buttplate - good luck finding it.
The stock may have been cut.
I'd leave it as found.

I wouldn't even clean the stock.
I would completely clean the bore, strip and clean the bolt, have the metal out of the wood and clean and oil the trigger.
Then I'd shoot it.

Detailed photos of all the sights would help.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Inheritance [Re: tinker]
      #250949 - 23/07/14 04:51 PM

Excellent.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

heers68
.300 member

Reged: 11/04/08
Loc: north carolina
Re: Inheritance [Re: NitroX]
      #250957 - 24/07/14 12:40 AM

NICE! Your ready for safari!!

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #250958 - 24/07/14 02:38 AM

Nice rifle and I agree with Tinker about leaving it as is. I'd clean it (gently), preserve it, and shoot it. I'd resist any temptation to restore the case too. Looks like a rifle with some history and an inheritance to boot. (This from a person who has gone both ways on restoring old rifles.)

If you must restore it, send it to someone like Dorleac.

Scott_H
.224 member

Re: Inheritance [Re: mckinney]
      #250965 - 24/07/14 06:43 AM

Thanks guys. I wouldn't undertake a restoration lightly, and definitely not a half-assed DIY restoration (and in all likelihood I'd never pay for a professional restoration unless I wanted to maximize the value because I thought I was going to eventually part with the rifle, which isn't in the cards). But the rifle does need a good cleaning. There's quite a bit of congealed/varnished oil in the nooks and crannies that needs to be dealt with at the very least. And the stock has some very old adhesive where the original butt pad was held in place by a piece of packing tape at some point in the past. That's pretty much bonded to whatever finish the stock has on it.

I'm assuming the original finish on the stock would have just been stain/oil with no varnish or sealer, correct? What do you all use to care for the stocks on your rifles. On my newer guns that have modern finishes, I usually just wipe them down with the same oilcloth that I use to wipe the rest of the rifle when I clean/service it... In the interest of preservation, I'm wondering if that would be an appropriate practice with this rifle.

--------------------

Edited by Scott_H (24/07/14 06:46 AM)

Scott_H
.224 member

#250966 - 24/07/14 06:54 AM

Also, Would the OE butt plate have been metal, or a rubber pad? Seems like I've seen Rigby's equipped both ways but not sure of the model/age of each of them. And in order to determine if the stock was ever cut, does anybody know if there was a standard L.O.P. these rifles would have been supplied with?

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #250977 - 24/07/14 02:52 PM

You might (should be able to) have access to the original order and leger page on this rifle from Rigby.

There is no absolute standard.
These rifles were (are) built to order.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Scott_H
.224 member

#251008 - 25/07/14 12:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Tinker, I've sent them an email asking about this information.

--------------------

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
      #251047 - 26/07/14 08:43 AM

Scott, I sent you a PM but here is a photo of an early 350 Rigby that Lon Paul restored and brought up on an Alaskan brown bear hunt. The top rifle is a 9.3x62 that he built for me.

Lon is one of the most knowledgeable and best restorer of old Rigby's.

Edited by NitroX (27/07/14 02:34 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13852

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com