Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 500S&W slug in .50 ml

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
500S&W slug in .50 ml
      #249858 - 02/07/14 10:35 PM

Cheap is good if cheap works.
I have a TC Hawken that has been a work in progress for a number of years and and I finally finished it this past winter.

The barrel is a Green Mountain with a fast twist, and as I wanted to avoid sabots, I had the idea to try a mold for the .500 which throws a .501 slug.
I decided to drop the $20 on the Lee mold which casts a 450gr gc, and when cast in pure lead can be finger seated unsized(with substantial thumb pressure)and a .002 engraving on the bands.

With TC lube, a felt wad, and 100gr Pyrodex rs, the first 100 yd group was 2.5" which seems to be a pretty good start.The holes in the paper are perfetly round as well. If I had to guess, it is probably clocking 1300fps.

Just have to finish filing in the sights as I will probably try a few different powders. May go with black, but it is getting more and more difficult to find

Cheers,

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Edited by Tom_H (03/07/14 02:12 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 500S&W slug in .50 ml [Re: Tom_H]
      #249864 - 03/07/14 01:07 AM

Well done - years ago, I experimented with various slugs (moulds) in a faster twist .50 from Les Bauska, Kalispel, MT.

Even the TC maxiball shot very accurately, however it's shape is a negative for hunting purposes, as front end tends to collapse (become smaller in diameter) into the massive grease groove, rather than expanding as desired.

The trouble with most modern bullet designs is the lack of sufficient lube capacity to keep fouling soft. I-too used Oxyoke felt or wool wads, that were lubed. They helped a lot and allowed multiple shots without having to wipe the bore. I am referring to the use of real black powder, not the extremely corrosive, perchlorate packed phony powders.

The 'best' bullet I found, was a hollow based design by Lyman, now obsolete, which was adjustable, casting bullets from 350gr. to over 500gr. The best weights were in the 400 to 450gr. weight.

Please keep us posted on your experimenting, Tom.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: 500S&W slug in .50 ml [Re: DarylS]
      #249868 - 03/07/14 02:24 AM

As soon as I saw this

I figured that it would be perfect if it would shoot.

I use the same design in my .357 and .45 colt. That flat nose is far better suited to hunting than the profile on the TC maxi (which is also substantially lighter.) The TC was also very accurate.

Lee lists the BC as .290 which is far higher than what I expected.

A bit much for deer, but if it is accurate I can live with that.

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 500S&W slug in .50 ml [Re: Tom_H]
      #249894 - 03/07/14 01:38 PM

Fine for deer, Tom. The three grooves will help with the lube. The lube soaked wad will also help.

As far as calibre - that's only a little .50. I used an Italian Percussion Sharps .54 with a tapered (my rendition on the original) 440gr. slug on a muley buck, a bunch of years back, driven by 120gr. 2f. Killed him just fine!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1899

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com