Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Classic English Rifle Stock Style - Opinions Needed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Classic English Rifle Stock Style - Opinions Needed [Re: Dumprat]
      #249843 - 02/07/14 03:26 PM

570gr bullet with 90gr powder.
460wby parent case.

See Here For More Detail

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #249844 - 02/07/14 04:22 PM

Quote:

Have to wonder why nobody else picked up on the fact the xuasa's rifle has the high comb that slopes away from your face under recoil to avoid the "blackout" from the punch in the face of a more traditional stock shape?

Maybe you donīt think what you read...?

Quote:

Negative comb angle is better when shooting with scope and big recoil caliber.

I mostly shoot so that my cheeks lower end rests over the cheek piece so scope could be quite high.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: Classic English Rifle Stock Style - Opinions Needed [Re: Nailcreek]
      #249859 - 02/07/14 10:43 PM

Dont get me wrong ,every shooter is different and therefore need slightly different stock dimensions.I am only relaying information I have read and observed on rifles used at close range against rapidly charging targets.As Cooper said in normal hunting circumstances this would never come into play BUT as Cooper comments on an African or Alaskan stopping rifle it most certainly may .Dont take my word for it ,try different stock styles yourself .A stock that can fit you in any scenario is the one to choose.The first time I tried this at Coopers school I was amazed at how difficult to impossible it was to keep the sights on a rapidly charging target with this type of stock ;the more I lowered my rifle barrel the harder it was to keep my head on the sights with the too high straight stock.

Edited by Deutsche_Vortrekker (02/07/14 10:51 PM)

Dumprat
.300 member

Reged: 20/02/14
Loc: Vancouver island bc.
Re: Classic English Rifle Stock Style - Opinions Needed [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #249861 - 02/07/14 11:43 PM

^i find this a little difficult to swallow, when most shotgun stocks don't have nearly that much drop and only the fit and front bead to align sight. Given the groups some people can achieve with slugs and their use as short range stoppers for dangerous situations one has to question the old wisdom of the English stock shape.

And Igorrock you are from Finland it is no surprise you shot European style.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
      #249862 - 03/07/14 12:33 AM

Quote:

^i find this a little difficult to swallow, when most shotgun stocks don't have nearly that much drop and only the fit and front bead to align sight. Given the groups some people can achieve with slugs and their use as short range stoppers for dangerous situations one has to question the old wisdom of the English stock shape.

And Igorrock you are from Finland it is no surprise you shot European style.

Field shotguns have a lot of drop in their stocks as do British style Mauser sporters ?? My 275 Rigby has about 2" of drop in the heel from the centerline of the bore ; for me perfect.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Classic English Rifle Stock Style - Opinions Needed [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #249879 - 03/07/14 08:31 AM

Quote:

The first time I tried this at Coopers school I was amazed at how difficult to impossible it was to keep the sights on a rapidly charging target with this type of stock ;the more I lowered my rifle barrel the harder it was to keep my head on the sights with the too high straight stock. /quote]

This is the reason that some authorities advocate going down on one knee when facing a charge. This makes it unnecessary to lower the rifle barrel as the charging animal approaches and gives the animal a smaller target to charge at. It is also a steadier platform to shoot from.

Of course, with a charging elephant the problem is reversed: the point of aim is constantly changing in an upward direction.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12646

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com