Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: John Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #245431 - 10/04/14 07:12 PM

Bertram would have brass and Woodleigh bullets. I don't think it would be a great problem.

I've never liked the .358's. Prefered the 9,3's and the .323 to .338, but for some reason like the .350 Rigby Magnum.

What I would use it on?

1. BGRC competitions.
2. Water buffalo - should work quite well.
3. Other bovines and the like.
4. Sambar - would work well.
5. Pigs and other deer species - over gunned
6. Moose, boar etc. Would work very well.
7. Larger antelope in Africa. What it was designed for.

Bullets are 200 gr to 250 gr, and I would think there are some 300 grs around.

Your experience with the .358 Norma Magnum would say what the similar round is capable of.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gen_Hicks
.300 member

Reged: 15/10/12
Loc: Lowveld, South Africa
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #246872 - 03/05/14 12:43 AM

Gents

I was tempted to air my view on the new Rigby rifles when this thread started. I confess that I also was in agreement with Mr Dorleac etc regarding the aesthetics of specifically the "Big Game" model. But I thought that I'd rather wait for the South African Huntex show to see them in person. And so I did!

The problem the "Big Game" faces on this forum, is that we are all collectors. The Big Game was never intended for a collector (I for one didnt bear that in mind). Specifically the fat short barrel one. The professional hunters from South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia etc however loved it! And low-&-behold this rifle was intended for that market! A real quality shooters rifle.

The barrel is short to be carried through thick brush comfortably, and the barrel is heavy, which makes it a pleasure to shoot (Personal experience).

The "Big Game" model is a working rifle. I personally experienced a hunt this week where the Hunter carried the "Big Game" model the whole day, up and down some rough terrain comfortably.

Bear in mind that the "new" Rigby was only set up from middle last year, I think they have done well in such a short time. I am sure that they would continue working on the current rifle to smooth out the finer aesthetic details. As a business they will have to sell rifles to survive.

The "London Best" is another story for another thread. But this is a Gentleman's rifle. Rigby has sold quite a few of them in the 4days here in South Africa. They are popular. But I cant imagine a Professional Hunter carrying a "London Best" through the swamps in Mozambique

The new 2014 model Mini Cooper, doesnt look like the original car.....

Happy collecting and thanks to all for sharing their collections and knowledge on here. This is a great forum

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Gen_Hicks]
      #246875 - 03/05/14 12:49 AM

Quote:

Gents

I was tempted to air my view on the new Rigby rifles when this thread started. I confess that I also was in agreement with Mr Dorleac etc regarding the aesthetics of specifically the "Big Game" model. But I thought that I'd rather wait for the South African Huntex show to see them in person. And so I did!

The problem the "Big Game" faces on this forum, is that we are all collectors. The Big Game was never intended for a collector (I for one didnt bear that in mind). Specifically the fat short barrel one. The professional hunters from South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia etc however loved it! And low-&-behold this rifle was intended for that market! A real quality shooters rifle.

The barrel is short to be carried through thick brush comfortably, and the barrel is heavy, which makes it a pleasure to shoot (Personal experience).

The "Big Game" model is a working rifle. I personally experienced a hunt this week where the Hunter carried the "Big Game" model the whole day, up and down some rough terrain comfortably.

Bear in mind that the "new" Rigby was only set up from middle last year, I think they have done well in such a short time. I am sure that they would continue working on the current rifle to smooth out the finer aesthetic details. As a business they will have to sell rifles to survive.

The "London Best" is another story for another thread. But this is a Gentleman's rifle. Rigby has sold quite a few of them in the 4days here in South Africa. They are popular. But I cant imagine a Professional Hunter carrying a "London Best" through the swamps in Mozambique

The new 2014 model Mini Cooper, doesnt look like the original car.....

Happy collecting and thanks to all for sharing their collections and knowledge on here. This is a great forum

As for all of us being "collectors" well I for one certainly am not. I personally detest the word ; my rifles and other weapons are for using as they were intended simple as that.

jvw
.275 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #246958 - 04/05/14 07:33 PM

I tend to agree with Gunship. I fired the "Big Game" numerous times and Rigby certainly got things right from a user's standpoint, as far as I'm concerned.

If I was in the market for a quality bolt action with a reasonable amount of cash in my pocket I wouldn't hesitate for a second. I'd order a "Big Game" and not look back.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: jvw]
      #246978 - 05/05/14 07:46 AM

If what Rigby are offering works for someone, perfect. Give them your money - you know what works best for you, and do go out and hunt with it! That's all that matters in the end.

That said, my friend Joel's criticisms were out of a reverence for the Rigby name, and they were not intended to cut the firm down. He is a strict classicist and prefers the prewar designs exactly as they used to be. If someone wants the newer ones, I am sure he would be happy to wish them "Good Hunting," and with all happiness in his heart.

Best wishes and do invite those of your friends who have bought the new Rigbys to post here, and to participate on the forums. There's a lot of room for civilized debate and discussion, especially among hunters and gun owners with different opinions. We are all enriched by this.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #247461 - 15/05/14 06:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpdXH55af5I

The ones shown in this video (from 2013) look far less chunky. Maybe just the particular one shown in the photo was a bit of a poor choice?

The barrel taper looks pretty good to me.

--------------------

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Ash]
      #248963 - 14/06/14 12:28 PM

I have just been in contact with Rigby in London and they are planning on a Left Hand Big Game model next year, I will definitely buy this one!! now the big sell off to finance it!

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: RLI]
      #248972 - 14/06/14 05:03 PM

Good stuff. By chance I was just in touch with Marc Newton last night.

Hoping soon for some new guns to show and other photos.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (14/06/14 05:23 PM)

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #248977 - 14/06/14 05:25 PM

They quoted (a David Miles I think?)about 40 left hand action orders to date , Once the new Mauser factory is complete Mauser should make Leftys next year, just have to work out what options...........I priced the basically same Mauser 98 Magnum in 416 Rigby rifle from Mialls Gunshop in Melbourne and was quoted above $20,000!! but the new Rigby about $12000 or so depending on options, its a very good price for a London Rigby and I bet these prices will not last long!

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: RLI]
      #248984 - 14/06/14 10:21 PM

Mialls gunshop seem to be keen on turning customers away with their prices. They obviously think that nobody uses the internet. I to priced a standard Mauser 98 once with them and the price they wanted was just stupid. I could have bought a custom made Mauser from one of the good German gunmakers using a double square bridge Mauser action by Prechtl with light scroll engraving and imported it myself for less. Whenever they place a second hand gun for sale on one of the used gun sites it stays there for sale for ever. They must be very patient. If you ever have any work done there beware. They will give you a quote and when you go to pick it up they ask for a lot more. I once had some blueing done there and the job they did was great. I supplied the rifle completely stripped and in a segmented box with a list of parts supplied, in other words easy to quote. They quoted $200 and two weeks to do it. Two months later I cracked the shits and they did it but then wanted three hundred. I would have been happy to pay $300 but not when quoted $200. I have to stick to my quotes at work that I give to customers, so should they.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #248987 - 14/06/14 11:10 PM

Quote:

Mauser 98 Magnum in 416 Rigby rifle from Mialls Gunshop in Melbourne and was quoted above $20,000!!

Same price-range here in Finland but with EUROs (20 000€ = 28,796.10 AUS$).

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Igorrock]
      #248989 - 14/06/14 11:55 PM

Quote:

John Rigby & Co.
According to The Field Magazine rifle reviewer, Dominic Griffith, the new Rigby Big Game rifle is 'the perfect marriage of German engineering and British craftsmanship at a surprisingly moderate price'.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ahmed577
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/13
Loc: Western Australia
      #248990 - 15/06/14 12:04 AM

Nitrox am sitting in Finland waiting to fly to london to check my guns. All that keeps me sane is this forum. Keen to check out rigby for myself.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Ahmed577]
      #248992 - 15/06/14 12:16 AM

Ha ha, glad to be of help. Say hello to Marc Newton for me. The new Classic (if they have some ready yet) or London Best range of bespoke custom rifles may be of a lot of interest to you I think. Maybe they have a Rising Bite to look at too.

Stay sane!

PS Last year I was in Helsinki Airport and shared a smoke - well I had a small cigar while they had a cigarette each - with a couple of pretty Finnish lasses taking a break from the executive lounge desk.

I was there for about four or five hours I think, and had a close to midnight dinner, a beer, a smoke and lots of wandering around in the airport.

Also bought a couple of Norwegian wool jumpers, one for my wife, and one for me in Finland. Ha ha, was only in Norway a few weeks before.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
      #249032 - 15/06/14 12:30 PM

I called Mialls ELEVEN times trying to get prices ,availabilty of Mauser M03 barrels, each time they took my name and number and Never returned a call, Not Once !!!!!!!!!!! with that shitty attitude to their customers they dont deserve to have any ,they wont ever get any of my Effing money !

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: 500Boswell]
      #249040 - 15/06/14 05:02 PM

Quote:

Also bought a couple of Norwegian wool jumpers, one for my wife, and one for me in Finland.

Maybe made by Dale? Another alternative is Devold

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Igorrock]
      #249050 - 15/06/14 09:26 PM

500Boswell, like I said, they are the arseholes of the earth. Not returning calls is a specialty of theirs, and when you complain about it after the fifth or sixth time they get quite narky. Always amazes me how a business like that can survive, however with a captive market such as firearms sales, they seem to survive without any problems.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #249416 - 24/06/14 09:02 PM

Not just for Africa.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: John Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #274584 - 05/12/15 09:47 AM

Simon Barr's .416 Rigby Big Game Rifle with his first cape buffalo. A great old dugga boy.

Excellent figure to the grain on Simon's rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #277431 - 02/02/16 03:35 AM

some close-up pictures c/o Westley Richards used gun list http://wrusedguns.com/guns/rifles/277:

Edited by NitroX (05/05/16 10:46 AM)

starman
.275 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: nsw
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: DORLEAC]
      #281602 - 27/04/16 12:18 PM

Quote:

For the action, it's no better than the Prechtl Golmatic and to my eyes not as good as the ones produced by
FZH or Medwell & Perrett "Mayfair Engineering"

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

The actions used are actually Prechtl supplied units,
metallurgy is also different, Prechtl being a modern alloy CroMolly (as are H&W magnum mauser actions)
whereas FZH are old school by using carbon steel..I would definitely prefer the more modern alloy versions
for high intensity modern loads and chamberings.

Quote:

.. I'm saddened to see the "RIGBY" name used only as a foil for the "MAUSER" trade mark.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Original pre-war Rigby .416 magnum mausers were exclusive foreign contract Oberndorf built rifles,
the London Rigby shop then conveniently foiled over the foreign built product by engraving their own
British company name & address on the barrel.
No different to the UK companies like Daniel Frazer and Bristol-Gibbs, who imported European made
Mannlicher rifles and marked them with their own British company names.

-- and with others things like Rigbys .275 bore, all Rigby did was re-market the german 7x57 and stamped
the rifles .275 bore accordingly. The .275 bore Rigby rifles had the German made and std. original
7mm mauser spec. chamber and bore. There was never a proprietary .275 Rigby cartridge released, nor
did Rigby have made any loaded commercial ammunition marked .275 Rigby on the brass...Rigby simply over-
labelled boxes of commercial 7mm MAUSER ammunition, with a bit of paper that said Rigby .275 bore

In regards to criticism of the new Rigbys stock dimensions, keep in mind that Harry Selbys old Rigby .416 wasn't
to his personal liking either upon purchase....He set about modifying the stock to suit himself...so anyone that looks
at Harrys rifle and admires its for its stock design and looks, be aware that it certainly didn't come from Paul Roberts
Rigby looking, weighing (or handling) like it does.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #281608 - 27/04/16 04:29 PM

Quote:

Simon Barr's .416 Rigby Big Game Rifle with his first cape buffalo. A great old dugga boy.

Excellent figure to the grain on Simon's rifle.

Yes never mind the rifle beautiful as it is, that animal is my kind of trophy, taken before it falls to disease, other prey or just old age, and to me that head outshines any perfect set that could easily have come off a farm. I bet that old boy didn't see a farm or fence in his life. And that bullet placement right through the shoulders just caps off what must have been a superb hunt. Sorry I'm dribbling just looking at that combination.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: John Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: eagle27]
      #281921 - 05/05/16 11:08 AM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #281941 - 06/05/16 04:30 AM

.275 Rigby John?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: John Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #281946 - 06/05/16 05:44 AM

Probably this:

Quote:

An exquisite .275 Rigby rifle, built by London gunmaker John Rigby & Co. as a tribute to Jim Corbett, has broken records at this year’s Safari Club International Convention (SCI) selling at auction for $250,000, making it the most valuable bolt-action rifle ever sold in more than 40 years of SCI auctions.

Mr Brian and Mrs Denise Welker, winners of 250k record breaking auction.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 103572

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com