Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Identifying an old Mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
coinich
.224 member

Reged: 06/06/14
Loc: Virginia
Identifying an old Mauser
      #248626 - 08/06/14 12:59 AM

Hi!

Album of pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Yrl5p#0

So as the story goes, my Great Grandfather bought an old pre-war Mauser off of a returned soldier in the late 40s-early 50s. I finally got a chance to look at it just two weeks ago. Its a beautiful gun, but I'm absolutely baffled trying to identify it. As far as I suspect, its some form of sporterized Mauser 98. I know it was rechambered from 7x64 Brenneke to 7mm Remington Magnum, and that the scope was added in the 1950s. I have heard that an Ed Striviak? worked on this gun, but I have not been able to locate any information on him.

I saw some similar looking guns on this forum, such as this: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=208805&an=0&page=0#Post208805

The thing is, I can't really find any identifiable markings. All except 3 proof marks are hidden between the barrel, receiver, and stock. I have found the Crown B Crown U proof marks, as well as the Eagle N and Eagle J marks which would maybe date it to late 1930s/early 1940s. There is "GFZ" in an oval, but I cannot find anything that matches that. There is also the number "39" but I don't know if that is a year or not. There are the initials "G. M." near the receiver, and it looks like it matches the scrollwork. There is also the name K. Barthelmes, but that also is an enigma. I have found that the Barthelmes family were prominent gunsmiths, but I haven't located any "K" member. I don't know if they are serial numbers, but I have found both 3270 and 8270, on the barrel and receiver receptively. Oddly, in both instances the 70 was stamped separately but next to the first two numbers. The bolt also has a 70 on it. There is a 1041 underneath the Eagle J proof mark but I have no clue as to what that means.

The scope mount lists Paul Jaeger, Jenkintown PA. Unfortunately I don't think the scrollwork was done by him however - I understand he wrote his name on the barrel of all his guns. The scope itself was manufactured in the 1950s, and still works nicely.

I guess what I'm looking for is any way to find out more about the history of this particular gun. I'm completely baffled at the markings. I have no intention of selling it, but I also have no real idea of its value. Its in great condition at the moment, and I'm definitely going to cherish it.

Help me NitroExpress! You're my last hope!

Edited by coinich (08/06/14 01:03 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Identifying an old Mauser [Re: coinich]
      #248634 - 08/06/14 02:21 AM

Nice rifle ! In my eyes it´s pre-wwII made mauser sporting rifle with military action. Someone has later altered the original budpad and bolt handle but seems that it would be quite easy to convert them back to more original style. And this rifle really deserves it !
As I said, this is beautifull and usable rifle for hunter who revers classic weapons but any gold nugget it isn´t. I´m sure that fellows Lancaster and Kuduae will quite soon tell you when and who has made this fine rifle.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Identifying an old Mauser [Re: Igorrock]
      #248639 - 08/06/14 03:39 AM

This rifle was originally built on an ex-military Gew.98 action in the 1920s, pre-1940 BU proofmarks on receiver only. As the original barrel with the usual markings is lost I cannot point to the original maker. Later it was rebarreled to the then modern 7x64. Responsible for the new barrel was the gunmaker Kuno Barthelmes, Otto-Barthelmes-Weg 2, Zella-Mehlis. The new barrel was supplied by a Zella-Mehlis barrelmaker GM, most likely a successor (son?) of one of the 3 Z-M barrelmakers named Möller, probably of Max Möller, MM, Forstgasse 7, Z-M. Further work was done by a gunsmith GFZ, Georg Fährmann, Zella? Obviously the gunsmithes had problems getting out the old barrel, evidenced by the hammer marks on the receiver ring, but these marks may have been from removing the military barrel in the 1920s. The new 7x64 barrel was duly Nitro (eagle/N) reproofed (eagle/I = Instandsetzung = repair) by the Zella-Mehlis proofhouse (spruce in heart mark) in 10 41 = October 1941. I read the “3270” serial number as a misstamped “8270”.

coinich
.224 member

Reged: 06/06/14
Loc: Virginia
Re: Identifying an old Mauser [Re: kuduae]
      #249177 - 18/06/14 09:18 AM

Sorry about the delay, busy times.

Thanks for the information! Thats really cool - I'll have to research those particular gun makers more. I love being able to hold a piece of history.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Identifying an old Mauser [Re: coinich]
      #249194 - 18/06/14 04:26 PM

Kuduae,

Thank you for being a participant on the NE Forums and always such a mine of specific information on many topics. Your participation is much appreciated.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2522

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com