Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remington to offer double rifles for 2005!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Remington to offer double rifles for 2005!
      #24893 - 23/01/05 02:48 AM

Looks like Remington has listed double rifles made by a Russian Company in their current catalog! The cost is cheap as well.............hopefully the quality is not to argicultural LOL. I'd love to try one.

Remington Doubles

I may have to look at one in 45-70 It should make a great bear rifle for drive hunting here in PA!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Remington to offer double rifles for 2005! [Re: IronBuck]
      #24896 - 23/01/05 03:17 AM

They sure look like EAA's.

Remington Spartan

EAA Baikal

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (23/01/05 03:25 AM)

Taos
.300 member

Reged: 09/05/04
Loc: Nevada, U.S.A.
Re: Remington to offer double rifles for 2005! [Re: NitroX]
      #24898 - 23/01/05 03:35 AM

i think they will sell the hell out of them if they can ever get them on the shelves. Unless they are real junk they will sell a bunch here.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#24900 - 23/01/05 03:37 AM

More :

1) Baikal:
On November 6, 2004 we let the cat out of the bag, so to speak. All of the guns we had been importing from Baikal of Russia (IZH models), will now be sold under the Spartan by Remington” name brand. We will continue to perform warranty work on the Baikal line. Spartan by Remington guns will be at a slightly higher price than similar EAA models, so buying an EAA model is a good investment since the price will only increase. If you are a dealer, stock up on all the EAA Baikal guns you can find and enjoy the profit. The change to Spartan by Remington was a positive change for the Baikal line and fully supported by EAA Corp. The Baikal plant in Russia will now be working with one of the oldest and largest names in the USA firearms business and we are proud to have had a part in this historic event.

We will keep all our IZH / Baikal models on the website for the time being while inventories are being sold off.

And from the Baikal site this info:

MP-221 "Artemida" side-by-side rifle

PREPRODUCTION STAGE

Description

The unique combination: "express" SbSё gun of classic appearance and innovative concept of barrel unit, which provides for close and stable patterning.

MP-221 "ARTEMIDA" features:

Elegant appearance and small weight owing to the receiver adopted from the small-bore IZH-43 options.

Perfect safety in operation owing to automatic safety that locks sears and triggers.

Stability of scattering and mean impact point. If a cartridge load has been changed the mean impact point of each barrel can be zeroed to a common center via ribless joint of barrel unit, loose fit of right barrel in the sleeve and a jack-type horizontal adjuster.

Sighting device: open front and rear sights. Long rail for scope mount.

Stock and forend are made of extra-quality beech or walnut.

Specifications

Calibre 7,62x51 (.308Win) .30-06 Springfield* 45-70 Govt*
Trigger pull (adj.), N 1,5-2,5 1,5-2,5 1,5-2,5
Barrel length, mm 600 600 600
Overall length, mm 1050 1050 1050
Weight, kg 3,3-3,35 3,3 3,15

* Option is at stage of customer demand analysis.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#24940 - 23/01/05 12:32 PM

Ironbuck

It appears Remington "gazumped" EAA on the Baikals and that is the reason the guys with the orders kept being told they were being delayed.

If they are not too bad looking and can be regulated I think they will make a really dandy double for guys that can't afford the others. Certainly will see well initially anyway.

At US$600 they sure will be bargain priced.

From reading the blurb it seems the two barrels are separated so that will be a little different. Common on some U/Os but maybe a first on a side-by-side (?). It reads that they can be regulated using various adjustments for the load being used. I suppose similar to the Valmet (?).

The .45/70 in one would be cool. It is powered similar to a lot of .450 BPE's and will be dandy for hog and close deer hunting. Sure would be a great little plaything.

My guess is that they will unfortunately be twice the USA price down here.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
      #24944 - 23/01/05 12:52 PM

I called a friend of mine that owns a local gun shop. I told him to see if he can get any. I'd love to try one out. No matter how they look.........if they shoot well they would be awesome guns for the way we hunt bears in Pennsylvania.........organized drives. The shots are usually at running bears in thick cover. An open sighted doublewould work great in such situations. And with the price, you would not worry to much about the abuse that rifles take during these hunts.

This is off the Remington site. A press release that talks about the way the guns are regulated:

In reply to:

January 1, 2005 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Spartan Gunworks™ Side-By-Side Rifles
Offer Classic Styling at an Affordable Price

Madison, NC - The Spartan Gunworks Model SPR22 side-by-side rifles combine modern technology and tradition to give sportsmen and women a fine hunting gun at a reasonable price. For 2005, two chamberings will
be available in the new Model SPR22 series including .30-06 Sprg and .45-70 Govt.

Instead of applying standard, expensive methods for double-rifle barrel regulation, these side-by-sides use an innovative technique to assist with the sighting in process. One barrel is fixed and can be sighted in by the shooter. Then, using the Model SPR22 adjustable barrel regulation system, a jackscrew located between the

The Model SPR22 rifles feature machined steel, mono block receivers, hammer-forged and chrome-lined 23.5-inch barrels, sling swivels and double triggers. Other attributes include adjustable iron sights, checkered walnut fore-ends and stocks with rubber butt pads, extractors and 11 mm Weaver-style scope rails. An auto safety is located on the receiver tang.

Reasonably priced, this style of rifle that was once immensely popular among African hunters now offers American hunters sound medicine for varmints, whitetails or other big game. Suggested retail price: $559

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
      #24951 - 23/01/05 03:13 PM

I would think it will be a fine toy to play with. Priced right and quality will be what you would expect from a 600.00 double rifle. So it's not a Holland & Holland, but that's not what you bought and a lot of guy's can get into a double rifle inexpensively.
I spent about that much money years ago on my first Valmet double and a lot less on Savage o/u rifle-shotguns. I still enjoy all of them.
Hopefully we'll get to enjoy this one for a reasonable price.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

wharf
.300 member

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: aust
      #24952 - 23/01/05 03:42 PM

do you think they will have them in 375h&hmag later.One in 308 would be nice.I saw prices for them on different sites listing from $900-$1200aus.

--------------------
if it bleeds we can kill it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Remington to offer double rifles for 2005! [Re: wharf]
      #24961 - 23/01/05 05:04 PM

Wharf

Are you sure that wasn't the under and over model? They have been hear for a while and that was about their price range, with the side by sides more expensive.

Is the side by side here already? I have a feeling I heard it was already here why the USA was still waiting?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

wharf
.300 member

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: aust
      #24964 - 23/01/05 05:48 PM

It was the over under I was thinking of.How much are the side by sides?Have you heard anything about the over unders,Good or bad.

--------------------
if it bleeds we can kill it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Remington to offer double rifles for 2005! [Re: wharf]
      #24976 - 23/01/05 11:29 PM

All I heard was one guy I was speaking to purchased an U/O in .30-06 for about $800 but he knew the importer.

I heard the side-by-sides were going to be priced at $2000 and I hope this was a mistake.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #24991 - 24/01/05 03:30 AM

From an e-mail that I received from a friend in the UK on the Baikal double rifles - the gentleman is a leading dealer of fine guns and has a collection of black powder express rifles to die for.

The Russian firm of Baikal are making a double rifle on their side-by-side boxlock shotgun frame. It`s imporeted into the USA by EAA ( European American Armory ) as the model MP221. The rifle is available in .306 Win, 30-06 Springfield, .270 Win, .223 Rem and 45-70 Govt ( .270 or 30-06 would be my choice. )The best price I can find for it is $454.54 with a beech stock and $556.16 with a much more handsome walnut stock. The same rifle is also imported by Remington ( along with several other shotguns and rifles by Baikal ) as the SPR22 under their `Spartan Gunworks` label. Remingtons` MSRP is $559 but they only have it available in 30-06 and 45-70 - and with the beech woodwork only. Baikals are not the prettiest guns around ( `though there finishing has improved dramatically in recent years ) but they are extremely reliable and as `tough as old boots`. ( An acquaintance once tried to dispose of an old and tatty Baikal 12 bore single barrel by putting a 20 bore cartridge up the tube and loading a 12 bore cartridge behind it. He connected a long piece of string to the trigger, retired to a safe distance and pulled - the gun fired both cartridges and spat the 20 bore out of the barrel with no damage to the gun whatsoever - even the ( full ) choke stayed as new.) He had to cut the thing up with a hacksaw to dispose of it.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: Remington to offer double rifles for 2005! [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #25028 - 24/01/05 04:09 PM

I have a 94 mdl. in 12/7x57R in the base model with the beech stock. I picked it up in an internet auction NIB for $249.00, shipped. The wood is crudely done but the metal to metal fit is done extremely well and the firing pins hit the primer dead center both barrels. The shotgun barrel has a very heavy wall thickness, and I find no reason for it being so. The shotgun pattern is good and right on center, and the 7mm shoots tight groups with the S&B 175 gr ammo. The gun is quite heavy, and the front sight ramp has a gap between the rear half of the ramp and the shotgun barrel...it just asks to be bumped and broken. I think I'll butcher it off with a die grinder...

All in all, the gun seems completely functional, if not beautiful, and it will serve just fine as my knock-about truck gun. The price was right!

I'd like to find the SXS with walnut stock in 45-70 to use as a pig gun in neighboring Kaliphornia. This cheapy model 94 BBF shoots as well, or better than several of my snooty pre war German combo guns. Its so ugly that the game just dies laughing or from fright.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

prof242
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Remington to offer double rifles for 2005! [Re: luv2safari]
      #25036 - 24/01/05 04:38 PM

Would like one of these to experiment with. Say, .45-70, then possibly rechamber to .45-110...or...an express caliber!

--------------------
Politically correct = morally wrong

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #25038 - 24/01/05 05:36 PM

I like the way that they only show the side profile of these sxs guns.
I'm guessing that they look pretty strange when viewed from the top being that they have no ribs and are maybe built on a 12g frame which is quite a bulky size for the 30 cal models.
They are a break action 2 barreled rifle so I s'pose that they can be referred to as a "double rifle" however I have to wonder if they handle and feel anything like a "double rifle"?
If they sell in OZ for 1200 bucks or thereabouts they would make a good knockabout double.
The 45-70 version loaded up with 350 Hornady's would be good hog medicine.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Remington to offer double rifles for 2005! [Re: 4seventy]
      #25039 - 24/01/05 05:57 PM

Alan

I would assume they would look a lot like this from above.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #25265 - 28/01/05 01:38 AM

Just to play around with, for the fun of it and not for any serious use, would it be possible to rechamber one of these Baikal sxs 45-70 to a 450NE? How much a differance is there in pressure?

Erik

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Remington to offer double rifles for 2005! [Re: EricD]
      #25268 - 28/01/05 02:00 AM

Eric,
Maybe, maybe not.
There are other things to consider besides the strength of the action itself.
For instance is there enough metal left surrounding the cartridge after the chamber diameter is increased to 450 NE?
Is the butstock going to be able to take the extra recoil?
Will the increased recoil cause the gun to double?
Time will tell I suppose.
For sure someone will attempt it!

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: Remington to offer double rifles for 2005! [Re: 4seventy]
      #25274 - 28/01/05 02:54 AM

I know of two people who have had their Pedersolis 45/70s rechambered for 450 #2. I believe the recoil was described as "brisk".

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

seroadglide
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/04
Loc: West Tenn., USA
      #25595 - 03/02/05 08:05 AM

The Baikal/Rem/Spartan double was displayed at the Remington Booth in Las Vegas. The rifle does have a rib between the barrels. It seeemed to be of a plastic/polymer material and was not rigidly attached to the barrels. This is understandable if one has to make adjustments by moving one of the barrels. The barrels were also not as widely separated as those of the O/U.

The wood on the display model was better than any I can remember seeing on Baikal products. I examined this item briefly as there is a lot to see and do at the SHOT Show; but I would say 80% of the time I went by the Remington booth, some one or a group of individuals had the rifle off the rack examining it. Interest seemed very high.

Personally, I can see buying one to play with and maybe shoot whitetails or pigs. I have 45-70 dies, cases, etc. on hand. I also have a 12 ga over 7x57R by Baikal and while it is not much to look at, there is no arguing with the rifle barrel's accuracy.

Douglas R. Mays

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19040

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com