Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bailey Bradshaw Falling Block double rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Bailey Bradshaw Falling Block double rifle
      #248863 - 12/06/14 03:59 PM

This is a new thread cut off from this previous one:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....e=0&fpart=2

Re the Bailey Bradshaw falling block rifles. A question to those who know. Bailey lists calibres up to the 9.3x74R and also mentioned larger calibres can be made balanced with suitable rifle weights (etc) as long as the cartridge is rimmed.

I assume he is referring to the usual rimmed cartridges we usually see in good double rifles. (?)

Now the Ruger no.1 is renowned for its action strength being similar to a bolt action in strength. True or not?

Would not such a falling block double rifle such as Bailey's also have much improved strength to also be able to accommodate increased chamber pressures? So that many more high performance cartridges could be chambered in such a rifle?

Or is ease of extraction the main determiner for specifying rimmed cartridges for this falling block DR? Is the falling block design also weaker when it comes to extraction?

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (14/06/14 05:34 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Aaron_Little
.300 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Newark, TX
Bailey Bradshaw Falling Block double rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #248946 - 14/06/14 02:48 AM

During my three years working with Bailey there were many changes to his design, in fact I think the only thing the early ones(pictured) have in common with the new design is the falling breach block. The early ones more closely matched the Gibbs design. From the beginning Baileys intentions were to keep the design as simple as possible with the largest/robust parts possible. With that in mind...

The issues with the original design are in dealing with extraction and drawing the firing pins back before the block moves. Can a falling block ever be as effective as a traditional break action in extracting? Simple laws of physics say no. With a break action you have a lot more leverage/mechanical advantage to draw sticky cases out of chambers, in falling block designs your leverage comes from a shorter 6-8" lever, which is of course also acting against the mainsprings when opening.

To minimize this issue the first big change from the original design was extraction. Traditional break actions draw the cases out .100" or so before the ejectors kick them out. When cases stick its usually the first .050" that causes the problems. With this in mind Bailey set out to design a system that worked in two stages, one to give leverage the other velocity. The first phase acts to draw the cases out .050" with great leverage but no velocity. The second takes over near the end of the levers travel. It has little force but more velocity to ensure the cases are kicked out of the chambers. Since the cases have already been drawn out a little there isn't much force needed. This design acted to alleviate extraction issues.

The next change was in the mainsprings. The original design had the mainsprings behind the hammers, one had to work against the mainsprings when opening the lever/cocking the hammers. Bailey moved the mainspring in front of the hammers. This allowed him to come up with a way to cock the hammers and open the lever without working against the mainsprings forces, closing the lever then acted to tension the mainsprings. In turn since one didn't have to work against any forces, the lever can open much faster. This design also got rid of needing a cocking rod since the mainspring could be used to cock the hammers. The old extraction system with two phases wasn't necessary anymore, so he got rid of the second phase. The first phase system had enough force and velocity to kick the cases out onto the loading channels. Also this design alleviated the need to have a latch on the lever to hold it closed, or needing an additional spring to do the same. The mainsprings when cocked acted to hold the lever closed when tensioned or un-tensioned. Dare I say this was a genius change for many reasons.

Another major design was to cut the breach block channels at 93 degrees to the bores. This along with two other designs acted to better draw the firing pins off the primers before the block moves as well as make the block easier to manipulate.

Other changes were made in barrel construction, takedown mechanism, triggers, safety, slimming the overall profile, and we got rid of needing a drawbolt.

--------------------
A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044

Edited by NitroX (14/06/14 05:25 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bailey Bradshaw Falling Block double rifle [Re: Aaron_Little]
      #248979 - 14/06/14 05:37 PM

Aaron,

Thanks for posting the quite detailed explanations. And the additional photos. Very interesting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4467

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com