Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Your Longest or Greatest Shot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Your Longest or Greatest Shot
      #24867 - 22/01/05 09:50 PM

Just wondering,Whats everyones longest/Greatest shot ever.I have never taken but one and it was around 225-250yards on a running doe with a ruger international 77 30-06 and rem.core loks 180gr.,Leupold scope,years ago on either sex day Hancock county,Ga.Perfect shot down hill!
Only deer i harvested that year.Oh yea it was in the rain too.Iam a grinning in that pic ear to ear!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: blackbearhunter]
      #24881 - 23/01/05 12:50 AM

By incredible luck an 8-point whitetail was spotted very deep in the Wisconsin woods at the Chippewa county forest and I had a good rest on a log pile...it was almost like using a bernchrest...I held the cross hairs what I considered to be a foot over the deer's back and pressed the trigger of the .375 H&H. The deer run off and upon walking to the target we found blood and trailed the deer for about 200 yards. The 270 grain Hornady had done it's job hitting the rib cage dead center and the deer hangs on the wall to this day.

Thr pass thru was instrumental in leaving a blood trail even though the bullet didn't open at all.....375 hole in and .375 hole out.

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #24909 - 23/01/05 06:47 AM

It def wasn't my longest but best shot. I had to take of bidness in the woods with my pants hiked down and heard some noise about 50 yds to my ten o'clock position. I carefully snagged my dad's partner's thutty-thutty and waited for whatever to emerge from the woods, and lo-and-behold, a nice big bodied 5 pointer(western count) showed himself and continued my way for another 10 yrds and I plugged him for my very first deer. I haven't had that same beginner's luck deer for a long time. BTW, he stank like something else when we cooked him up for dinner but sure tasted good.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

wharf
.300 member

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: aust
      #24932 - 23/01/05 10:01 AM

I was spotlighting not long ago for hopping lamb with a couple mates,and I pulled off two of the most pure arse shots.The first was hopping away from us at around 120 metres,I put the crosshairs halfway between the up and down and half a foot in front of its head.When we got there it was a brain shot.My mates were digging me for a while about that until the next one.It was almost time to pack up,It was trying realy hard to snow,Everyone was freezing.This one was about 200+ metres away moving to the right fast,I fired and it fell over and did a salute with its tail.When we got there I jumped out and pissed myself laughing.Another headshot,The boys werent happy.I still get ribbed about it today.

--------------------
if it bleeds we can kill it.

vapodog
.300 member

Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: wharf]
      #24934 - 23/01/05 11:10 AM

Interested in the shortest shot?....well here goes...I was sitting on a tree stump on the opening day of deer season in Wisconsin and to my delight a doe came by the post and stopped and looked at me. She seemed nervous and confused but in a few seconds the mood seemed to change to curious. I sat motionless except to slowly switch the safety to fire and very slowly raise the muzzle of the .375. The deer eventually came close enough to actually smell the end of the barrel at about two inches...

Trust me.....you don't want to read the rest of the story.

There was no meat loss and the venison tasted great.

--------------------

blackbearhunter
.333 member

Reged: 15/06/04
Loc: swamp
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: vapodog]
      #24935 - 23/01/05 12:07 PM

Vapodog you win the award!Man that is close!Yes close stories count too.I shot a spike buck one time that charged and he was about ten feet away coming like a freight train when i backed him up with a 308nosler!That was exciting!I declare you the winner though!Good stories guys keep them coming!

davem3
.300 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: birmingham,al usa
      #24948 - 23/01/05 01:54 PM

I was at our deer camp during archery season and one day at lunch mounted a scope on a 30/30 for a member when one of the numerous stray dogs around there was spotted about 70 yards away.
The owner did not have any ammo as this was archery season and he planned on sighting it in elsewhere.
However there was one green, corroded 30/30 round on the mantle that someone had picked up from the yard couple years before so I chambered it and held on the chest of the trotting dog and fired.
It actually fired and the dog yelped and ran off down a bank where we found it about 20 yards away dead.
The bullet had gone thru both testicles and cut the artery in the off side leg.
Shot the balls off a trotting dog at 70 yards with an unsighted rifle.
Dave

vapodog
.300 member

Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: davem3]
      #24953 - 23/01/05 03:48 PM

now that's funny....LMAO!!!

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #24974 - 23/01/05 10:51 PM

Not the longest or the greatest, but worthy of writing up due to the circumstances! (..think I've tossed it up here before, if so apologies)

Long Shot

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

vapodog
.300 member

Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: Marrakai]
      #24986 - 24/01/05 01:56 AM

Marrakai....great photos and good writing.....and of course good shooting as well.

It's good to read about those old doubles doing so well what they was designed to do. Thanks for the story.

--------------------

mlg
.275 member

Reged: 19/03/05
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: vapodog]
      #28025 - 20/03/05 07:23 AM

Mine was a shot at a Springbok ram that now graces my wall at 318 paces with a 308.

However I was using the only tree for miles as a rest - don't know if I would have attempted it otherwise!

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: mlg]
      #28070 - 21/03/05 09:42 AM

I dont know if its my best ever but i had a good free range wild fallow buck jump flat out under me last week in Tasmania from a copse of sheoak tree`s,i followed him for a 100 yards with my 2x7 Leupold set on 2 power trying to work him out as a keeper or not, by this time he was out at 250 yards slightly lower and just starting to turn left across the head of a clear basin,he was flat out doing what seemed to be forty mph with a `roo running alongside him which appeared to be just as spooked so they were really going hell for leather spooking each other even more,i set myself up mentally and sent a 7mm 150gr winny sp behind his last left side rib and the bullet crossed thru him into his opposite shoulder,the buck nose dived that quickly he filled his mouth with dirt for another 20 yards skidding on his nose...all up a very satisfying and exciting harvest for me.I cant say its my best ever shot as i have taken some sambar deer in heavy bush with some fair shots that have stayed in my mind as well but its my most recent "best shot"

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: gryphon]
      #28614 - 30/03/05 01:49 PM

I have taken 5 shots where I impressed myself.

1. 475 yards deer 7mm STW

2. 465 yards deer 270 win.

3. 600 yards cow elk 375 H&H (no, I did not hit her first shot)

4. 300 yards deer with 45-70 using 400 grain FN bullets (there is a lot of drop at that range)

5. 225 yards feral dog with a 22 LR. Gotta aim real high.

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: 500grains]
      #30853 - 11/05/05 12:12 AM

I have a couple of funny ones, one good one...

1. Shortest shot: I was sitting up against a tree whistling foxes dressed in my ghillie suit, .22LR laid across my legs when this fox pokes his head out around the tree about 6 inches from the muzzle, his pelt was added to the tally!

2. Flukiest/all-ass-no-class shot: One handed from a moving 4x4 with a .303 jungle carbine to take down a 'roo, all while holding the spotlight in the other hand! NEVER be able to do that again! Of course I told my mates I meant it...

3. Longest Shot: 3L milk bottle at 900 with my .284 WIN Heavy varminter (On the range though).

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #30861 - 11/05/05 03:52 AM

One day we were at the shooting range sighting in our scopes and after we were satisfied that evrything was allright,we drove around looking for some wild dogs to test our rifles on some live bait.I was carrying a .270 zeroed at 300 yds.We saw a wild dog at about 550 yds. and i decided to take a shot at it just to see how close i could get to it.I don't remember how high i held the rifle but to my surprise and that of my friends i shot the animal and it dropped dead.That was the longest shot in my hunting career and from that day on i was nicknamed "long rifle" by my friends.

IronBuck
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/03
Loc: Pittsburgh PA, USA
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: iqbal]
      #30865 - 11/05/05 05:14 AM

My longest shot made was on a groundhog last year. It was at a rangefinder verified 526 yards. I used a Remington 700 VLS in 22-250 shooting 50 grain v-max bullets. My scope is a fixed power Leupold 12x AO.I have made many longish shots with this rifle.

I never had to shoot a big game animal past 150 yards. Never needed to.

tunofun
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Darwin, NT, Australia
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: IronBuck]
      #30960 - 13/05/05 12:26 AM

In reply to:

My longest shot made was on a groundhog last year. It was at a rangefinder verified 526 yards. I used a Remington 700 VLS in 22-250 shooting 50 grain v-max bullets. My scope is a fixed power Leupold 12x AO.I have made many longish shots with this rifle.

That's a nice shot with a 22-250! Would have looked pretty small with a 12x! Well done. I have a 700ADL action in my safe that used to be a 22-250 and have been 'gunna' build a .22-250AI with 1-9" twist barrel for 75-80gr projectiles for varmints, but there arn't many opportunities for varmint hunting where I live so it kinda got put on the back burner!

--------------------

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud -- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #34646 - 13/07/05 12:12 PM

Not proud of it, but here it is. 20+ years ago, in October, I was hunting Dall Sheep in the Yukon Territory. The first morning out of spike camp my guide and I climbed a mountain about an hour ride away and after reaching a rocky outcrop spotted a herd of 5 rams bedded down next to a small stream. The rams were about 350 yards away, and the guide suggested we wait until they get up, and hope they move closer. This was around 10 AM. By 2:30 they still hadn't moved, and I was really starting to get cold, and told my guide that I had to take a walk around the side of the mountain to warm up. About 15 minutes later, I heard my guide coming up behind me, and he told me the sheep were up and walking, but they were walking away from our position on the outcrop. We hurried back to the outcrop, and the biggest ram was walking slowly away from us, but on the same level. My guide told me to wait until he turned, rather than take an ass on shot. After a while, the ram turned perfectly broadside. I asked how far he was, and my guide said he thought around 400 yards, maybe more. I was shooting a 7MM Remington Magnum, with 160 grain Nosler Partitions at 2980 fps, sighted 2 inches high at 100 yards. I held the cross hairs on the top of the back line, in line with the right front leg. At the shot, the ram went down, and we then heard the sound of a hit. Immediately, the ram was back up, still perfectly broadside. There was no blood visible on the body. Using the exact same hold, I fired again. The ram went down again, we heard the bullet impact, but the ram got back up, but now it was quartering away at a hard angle. We still couldn't see any blood to indicate where it was hit. I fired again, still holding on the top of the back line, but this time in line with the right rear leg. At the shot, the ram went down, we heard another hit, and the ram tumbled end over end down the mountain, and ended up in the stream at the bottom. After hiking down to the ram, it was still alive, and needed a finishing shot. After pulling the 38", 13 year old ram out of the water, we found that my first 3 shots had shot off 3 legs at the knees, and I never had a bullet hit the main body. The first shot broke the right front leg, the second broke the left front, and the third the right rear. I have no idea how far the shots actually were, but to have that kind of bullet drop, with that load, it had to be almost 2 zip codes away.

Tightloop
.275 member

Reged: 24/06/06
Loc: Spring, Tx...
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #59934 - 14/07/06 04:48 AM

Prairie dog at 485 with a 250 Ackely, 85 gr Nosler at 3750, and 6.5x20 glass....whitetail at 310 with a 300 H&H, 165 gr Gameking over 70 gr of IMR4350....Whitetail at 71 steps with a .45ACP, 230 gr ball ammo...lucky neck shot...

Shooting 19of 20 hand thrown live pigeons...Beretta 682, WW AA, 1 1/8oz 7.5's...won about 9200 bucks ....lol little country shoot, nobody big there....blind hog found an acorn...

yellowhammer
.224 member

Reged: 23/05/06
Loc: Texas
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: Tightloop]
      #59942 - 14/07/06 08:18 AM

2 Blesbuck 300+ steps (ph's steps) using 375 w/nosler 260 gr partitions.
Prarie dog 460+ yds through rangefinder to mound. Fella was polite enough to stay and watch the first two shots as they got closer to his mound. 50 gr Blitzking in 220 swift.

260rem
.375 member

Reged: 16/04/06
Loc: NSW Australia
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: yellowhammer]
      #59946 - 14/07/06 11:47 AM

My two best shots are.
A crow at 320m with a .22 rim fire it was so far away that it heard the shot, had time to jump in the air and flew about 2ft to the left and right into the path of the bullet.

My next “best” shot was I was looking for a Rabbit to feed my dog but I only had 6 shells left for the 12ga, there were Bunnies running around everywhere I was nearly tripping over them. I was waiting for the perfect shot so as not to wast any shells, when a Rabbit burst from under my feet. Naturally I aimed and fired and sent it tumbling, but when I picked it up it was only about 6” long “I had shot a kitten” so rather then carry it back by the feet, I put it in my back pocket.

--------------------
One shot is all you need.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
      #59953 - 14/07/06 03:47 PM

My longest shot in Namibia was 285m at a Springbok. He was facing me and I aimed for the nose, the 308 hit him in the chest.

A guinea fowl taken at 35m with my air rifle, headshot.

Shortest shot was from a hide with my bow. I do not like to sit in hides, I often fall asleep. That day I also had a little nap, when I heard the pigs. I got up and got the bow ready, without looking through the shooting hole. As I draw the bow the arrow came of the rest and I thaught that is it the pigs are gone, to my surprise they were still there. Looking through my peep sight I could only see a black blotch, I aimed low with the 10m pin and let go. That was a tasty Warthog

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: SAHUNT]
      #60709 - 02/08/06 05:53 PM

Dear Friends,
My best I think was a Blesbok in Dewetsdorp about 60km from Bloemfontein.I got a head shot at 310m.We were culling for a butcher and we shot all the animals in the head to eliminate damge.How ever all the shots ranged from 150m-250m.Here in South Africa it is not uncommon to shoot 250m and more if you are hunting Springbok and Blesbok.Last year my wife shot a Blackwildebeest Cow at 257m with my 243Win Brno fitted with a 6.5-20X50 Burris field target Scope.She gave it a shoulder shot using 90gr BarnesX that I load myself.Both shoulders were broken and the animal collapsed on the spot.
For me personally it is a far greater achievement to say that you shot a Kudu bull on 20m stalking it in the bush than shooting at 250m wich in my opinion is not to difficult.It does take a good marksman but on the otherhand there is a big difference between a good marksman and a good hunter.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

Pridey
.224 member

Reged: 26/07/06
Loc: Townsville N.QLD
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: Bigfive]
      #60715 - 02/08/06 10:10 PM

G'day guys.

My first post !
I cant think of any of my shots that really stand out (especially against some already mentioned here.) However I remember going out with my old man and a .177 air rifle in Western Australia. In the same day he droped a duck at about 150 metres(on the ground), and later took a pot shot at a dragon fly (in flight at about 10 metres) and it fell to the ground in two peices.. I dont think I'll ever forget that day. Not very evenful other than that, I think we were doing a recce for roo's.

- Pridey.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: Your Longest or Greatest Shot [Re: Pridey]
      #60719 - 02/08/06 11:06 PM

2 shots come to mind--

One for ?marksmanship and one for hunting----

In Colorado I was stalking Mule Deer when I kicked a big 3x4 up. He crossed across an open field like a rocket and my 1st shot off a shooting stick missed him as I lead him too much. He then turned and ran directly away giving me the North South Texas shot which I promptly missed as well.
At this point he was running uphill at a 30-40 degree shooting elevation above level and I took a last offhand shot at a lasered 346 yds. He disappearedin the recoil! To my astonishment my 2 buds started hollering the buck was down.
He had been shot through the chest-lights out.
I was shooting a 300 ultra in a Remington bolt with a Swavorski TDS scope. A once in a lifetime lucky shot!!

The hunting shot was done in heavy snow with a 338 WM after tracking an elk herd for days in the high country.Bob and I ran ahead where we thought they would come out into a draw and they did-10 feet from me!! Shooting a bull elk in the total silence of falling snow at spitting range is mystic.The bull went down after running 30 yards. I am still in total amazement of what happened in those moments, even today.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (02/08/06 11:21 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11798

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com