Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Stephen Grant Doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
seroadglide
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/04
Loc: West Tenn., USA
Stephen Grant Doubles
      #24857 - 22/01/05 04:53 PM

I was wondering if anyone here owns/uses one of these. I ask as I looked at one today. It was an exposed hammer gun with damascus barrels in .500 BPE. I was surprised at the very good bore condition.

Douglas Mays

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Stephen Grant Doubles [Re: seroadglide]
      #24862 - 22/01/05 06:30 PM

Seroadglide

A friend of mine has a Stephen Grant Double - not as common as other makers but well made guns.

Why were you surprised at the very good bore condition ?

Quite a few BP guns have good bores if they were cleaned correctly after use in the old days.

500 Nitro

seroadglide
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/04
Loc: West Tenn., USA
Re: Stephen Grant Doubles [Re: 500Nitro]
      #24902 - 23/01/05 03:44 AM

500 Nitro,
THank you for the reply. I was surprised as it is not uncommon to find black powder rifles with pitted and rusted barrels. I refer to muzzle loaders of recent manufacture; this includes the new type inlines as well as the traditional types. Many of these are only a couple of years old and have been badly negleted. Black powder does not need much of a headstart.

Also, many rifles of an age similar to the Grant (black powder era leverguns, trapdoors, falling blocks, etc)do not have bores this nice. Some do, just not many that I see. Many surplus military rifles from the time when the primer was corrosive have pitted, dark bores. Some of these still shoot well, however.

Why is this? Maybe the American black powder era guns were often looked upon as a working tools and did not get the care one would give a prized arm. Some previous owner may have been a slacker or have had to use thie arm in a setting/situation that prevented timely cleaning. I know that military arms are often only tools to the soldier; other priorities may take immediate precedence over cleaning. I do think that cleaning and care was a little too far down the priority list when I was in the infantry. I was fortunate enough to be in when no one was trying to kill us; I bet the care and cleaning of that personal weapon is higher on the list now.

The double user in the blackpowder era was not the average joe. He probably had shelter and at least decent conditions in the evenings; this should allow him or an aid to properly care for the equipment. The level of skill required to make a nice double and lavish it with fine ornamentation would indicate that the double was a prize; I think the owner knew what he had and treated it appropriately. It is unlikely that the arm was looked upon as just a tool.

I know this is long, but until asked, I had not reflected on why I should be surprised at the good bore condition of a 100+ year old BPE double. Maybe I should not have been. It is good that subsequent owners have kept the bores cared for.

Douglas Mays

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Stephen Grant Doubles [Re: seroadglide]
      #24914 - 23/01/05 07:11 AM

seroadglide,

What you say is valid. Lots of BP English double have bad / rusted / pitted bores.

I supposed I have got to the stage that I only look at bores which are good +.

I had an I Hollis that the bores looked like new - mirror bright. The Damascus on
the barrels was also in excellent condition.

Black Powder seems to ATTRACT moisture which is why I think they corroded so quickly
if not cleaned.

500 Nitro

510Wells
.275 member

Reged: 16/11/03
Loc: Gold Bar, Wa.
      #24947 - 23/01/05 01:49 PM

Pitted bores on black powder guns are due to several reasons, not the least of which is dut to the fact that one of the byproducts of back power burning is Sulfuric acid. If it's not removed quickly it etches into the metal and produces a very accelerated corrosion rate.

Thats also why mufflers (on cars) rot out so quickly, burning gasoline also produces Sulfuric acid.

Ain't chemistry grand

--------------------
The only constant is change.

Member DRSS

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Stephen Grant Doubles [Re: 510Wells]
      #24965 - 23/01/05 07:36 PM

510Wells,

Thanks for the more detailed explanation.

Maybe that's why I am bent on 500 Nitro's and not 500 BPE's !!!

500 Nitro

wharf
.300 member

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: aust
      #25063 - 24/01/05 09:03 PM

I used to shoot black powder pistol,Every time you use it you have to clean it.Even if you only put one shot through it.What a pain in the arse.Pulling the whole pistol apart and washing in hot soapy water.But good fun to shoot.

--------------------
if it bleeds we can kill it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2048

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com