Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remington voluntary recall .??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Remington voluntary recall .??
      #248476 - 05/06/14 12:14 AM

Curious if anyone here has ever had a Remington rifle go off as some have claimed by lifting the bolt, moving the safety or when it was just not intended to fire???

Personally, have shot them all my life and probably own a dozen or more currently, have probably owned several dozen through my lifetime..has never happened to this point..not saying it can't..but has never happened to me..

Ripp

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2014/04/14/remington-issues-voluntary-recall-model-700-seven-rifles/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: Remington voluntary recall .?? [Re: Ripp]
      #249033 - 15/06/14 12:54 PM

Last I heard was all the rifles that malfunctioned like that had been modified by the users for a lighter trigger pull. Recall is largely a way of telling the lawyers "we're trying to fix it"-nearly unnecessary IMO, leave it as it came out of the box, or replace the trigger assembly with something designed to be more user adjustable if you're a tinkerer, and you'll be fine. Every few years since the 1990s MSNBC runs that hit piece and the concern gets rekindled.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

jgrabow
.300 member

Reged: 22/12/08
Loc: Winter Wisconsin
Re: Remington voluntary recall .?? [Re: Shackleton]
      #249055 - 15/06/14 10:06 PM

My brother has a Remington Model 700 in 7mm Mag. We were Deer hunting in northwest Wisconsin in the 90’s when his rifle went off when he flipped the safety on. This happened two years in a row. He took the rifle to a gunsmith and they cleaned and adjusted the trigger. It now has a heavy trigger pull. He never had the trigger modified prior to these incidents. He does like to use WD-40 to lube the trigger mechanism. I wonder if there was a buildup which caused the malfunction.

--------------------
Jim

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
Re: Remington voluntary recall .?? [Re: jgrabow]
      #249067 - 15/06/14 11:23 PM

WD40 would definitely contribute. If not cleaned between applications it can gum up the parts, especially in small areas like a trigger assembly.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Remington voluntary recall .?? [Re: Shackleton]
      #249075 - 16/06/14 03:04 AM

I had a Remington 700, also in 7mm magnum that would fire when the safety was taken off. The first time it happened, I was aiming at a buck and it discharged. At the time, I thought it was due to my glove being too thick. A couple of weeks later I was at the range, and it happened several times, and I wasn't wearing gloves. I replaced the trigger with a Timney, and had no more trouble.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: Remington voluntary recall .?? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #249077 - 16/06/14 03:30 AM

We have never in our family had any problems with Remington rifles or shotguns ,but all are older models and I have never owned a 700.The US Marines use a Remington 700 action body for their M40 sniper rifle but replace all the other parts of the action including trigger,extractor,ejector,follower and floorplate.I did recently view two different hunting shows in cold weather where Remington 700 users tried to pull the trigger and the rifle would not fire .This could be attributed to many things but it seems like more than a coincidence.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Remington voluntary recall .?? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #249078 - 16/06/14 03:32 AM

I had one do that - safety on, trigger pulled, safety switched to fire and "POW" - M660, back somewhere between 1968 to 1971 with my 6.5 Rem Mag.
I have not heard of others.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Dumprat
.300 member

Reged: 20/02/14
Loc: Vancouver island bc.
Re: Remington voluntary recall .?? [Re: DarylS]
      #249101 - 16/06/14 11:56 AM

Some early 700s and mowhawks are said to have this problem. I have a 600 mowhawk custom with a lightened trigger pull, about three pounds. I have never had any problems with it. I have owned it for over twenty years and shot it at every temperature from -40c to plus 40c. I have often wondered if it had to do with people oiling the trigger mechanism.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1790

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com