Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 22 Hornet

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shopping.NitroExpress.com >> Cartridge Collecting and Swapping

Pages: 1
Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
22 Hornet
      #244701 - 31/03/14 11:02 AM

Over the weekend I pulled the bullets from some 22 Hornet ammo that I bought at a club auction, and was extremely surprised to find that about thirty cases which are marked as "ICI 22 Hornet", have twin flash holes and a standard sized mall rifle primer. The cases were obviously bought as factory primed cases as they had never been fired, inside is perfectly clean. Has anybody else ever seen 22 Hornet cases like this before ?

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dracb
.300 member

Reged: 28/02/13
Loc: British Columbia
Re: 22 Hornet [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #244704 - 31/03/14 01:21 PM

Not unless they are berdan primed, but I would probably not load them if they were mine. I learned 25 years ago how sensitive the 22 hornet is to seemingly minor changes in components.

I sold a single shot break action rifle to a friend's son. I gave him a box of loaded ammunition and he and his father bought the components to load more. The brand of brass he bought was different from what I had been loading. The primers, powder and bullets were identical to what I had loaded except they were of newer manufacturing lots.

They loaded the same weight of powder and bullet as used in the rounds I loaded which was taken from the mid-range of a name brand loading manual. All of their brass was new, but of another brand than I was using in my handloads of which there had been thousands fired out of that rifle. This all checked out when the unfired ammunition was subsequently broken down when we returned from the range.

I was shooting from the bench beside the one the young man was shooting from and happened to look over to see how he was doing. By chance I happened to notice black smudges on the primers of his fired cartridges. He had half a dozen rounds with perforated primers. Even though the father was a very experienced and careful handloader, I suspected there had been an error in the powder weight or changes in other components.

Just to verify that it was not an issue with the particular firearm, I fired a few rounds of 22 hornet ammunition that was I had loaded identically but had brought to fireform into k-hornets now that I no longer had a hornet. There was no problem with my loads and a chronograph showed they had a velocity close to what should be expected from the load manual.

I never found out what produced this unsafe condition, but have subsequently been extremely careful in not changing components in loads developed for the hornet or k-hornet. That would include avoiding
the use of brass with two flash holes. Since removing the spent primers would be a recurring adventure I probably would put them in my curiosity drawer and use them to confound visitors.

--------------------
"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: 22 Hornet [Re: dracb]
      #244707 - 31/03/14 05:08 PM

Hi Drach and thanks for the reply. I definitely was not intending to use that particular brass, I am purely interested in whether or not any body else had ever heard of or seen 22 Hornet brass with a Berdan type small rifle primer, ie. twin flash holes.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 22 Hornet [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #244728 - 01/04/14 02:14 AM

I've never heard of them before. ICI here, used to mean "Imperial Chemicals Industry", or "Imperial Chemicals Incorporated", seems to me.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: 22 Hornet [Re: DarylS]
      #248273 - 01/06/14 07:58 PM

Quote:

I've never heard of them before. ICI here, used to mean "Imperial Chemicals Industry",...

Yes, that's the one - I don't know the details, but there is/were links with Kynoch and Eley. ICI used to make 22 rimfire ammo, apparently changed name to IMI.

Have a look at what I found via google:

http://22box-id.com/world/australia.pdf

and this

http://www.gunsinternational.com/ICI-High-Velocity-22-LR-Ammo.cfm?gun_id=100437738

Edited by mauserand9mm (01/06/14 08:00 PM)

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: 22 Hornet [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #248276 - 01/06/14 09:09 PM

They also made shotgun cartridges.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4086

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com