Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 100 Per Cent Sure

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
FourTails
.224 member

Reged: 07/01/04
100 Per Cent Sure
      #24755 - 21/01/05 11:38 AM

I've mulled over the perfect double rifle for quite awhile now. Talked to Butch Searcy a few times. Listen, read about, and fondled quite a few doubles that I thought were nice. Today I hopped into the little money pit and flew south to Woodring Airport, with my lst double rifle behind the seat. After parking just outside Champlin, Inc. and meeting the two yellow labradors at the side door (I don't recommend this) I went to the front door. The receptionist, Judy I think, apologized saying all the gun guys were out to lunch. She asked if I'd made an appointment and I stated, "No. But, I did want to talk to JJ Peradue about a firearm repair." Well, long story short. I was excorted to the gun vault to pass the time admiring at my leisure the pieces left behind by George Coswell. He being absent at the SCI convention. One imparticular double caught my eye. I carefully picked it out of the rack and began to admire it. Then I sat down in one of the chairs in the vault. Strategically placed to break one's fall after pricing was discussed, I'm sure. Anyway, the balance-perfect. The workmanship outstanding and to me it felt like I thought a double should feel. It had the right name on it too. Holland & Holland, caliber 500/450, 3 1/4 inch. God, it was beautiful! Judy came in and asked if I'd like a bib. However, luck was with me. It was not for sale. Reason being and if I looked at the tags right the double was the very one Ole' Robert Redford carried in the movie "Out of Africa". The gun may have been a movie star and owned by George but for thirty minutes in that gun vault it became mine. One hell of a nice way to spend thirty minutes of my life. I looked at a Champlin Brousse shortly thereafter. They look mighty fine. Truthfully, I haven't seen but just a couple of doubles I didn't care for. Kinda reminds me of what a judge in the Miss Universe Contest endures. Good shooting! Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: 100 Per Cent Sure [Re: FourTails]
      #24767 - 21/01/05 02:49 PM

Great story!

That'd be great seeing the rifle from "Out of Africa" I've always wondered what type it was until now, thanks!

I had two occasions like that, though not as special as yours.

Once in Gaston Renette in Paris, when it still was GR, I got to handle a really beautiful 470 double rifle sidelock by them. GR is kinda of like the French equivilent of Purdey if you will.

Second time, up in a gunshop in Rhode Island, I was just poking arround the shop. Guy was real nice even though I wasn't going to buy anything. I asked him what was the nicest piece he had. He reached in the cabinent and handed me a real nice SxS shotgun, obviously a best gun. I looked at the tag, something like $50,000 and it said BOSS. Lovely gun and nice guy for letting me drool all over it.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Edited by Chasseur (22/01/05 04:09 AM)

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: 100 Per Cent Sure [Re: FourTails]
      #24782 - 21/01/05 08:38 PM

Welcome to the club Mike! 400 Nitro Express and I have spent some wonderful time in that vault with George and JJ.
George does have the gift of gab!

That H&H double is a beautiful rifle! It ususally takes me about 30 minutes to an hour to get past JJ's shop before I make it to the vault. He's always has interesting projects.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 103 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1231

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com