Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Plezier Mauser

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
awanderingbear
.224 member

Reged: 12/05/14
Loc: Pacifc Northwest
Plezier Mauser
      #247592 - 21/05/14 02:21 AM

New to the Forum. Perhaps there has been information on the Plezier Mauser rifles used during the Boer War, but I am trying to obtain pictures of these types of rifles, pending an upcoming build. If some would post pictures of their Plezier Mauser rifles it would be greatly appreciated. thank you for your time

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: awanderingbear]
      #247597 - 21/05/14 03:26 AM

good idea, we had it sometimes in the forum before so looking into the old stuff will be a first step

factory 1893 DWM sporter in 7x57 over a CZ550
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=419240
not my rifles

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:22 PM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: lancaster]
      #247598 - 21/05/14 03:40 AM

About ten years ago, a South African gunmaker called Primasel made a limited edition of the Plezier Mausers. The company seems to have gone out of business since, but you can go to www.archive.org and type in www.primasel.co.za and look at pictures of their reproductions. We have many good members from South Africa who might also step in and talk about them.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #247619 - 21/05/14 01:18 PM

patagonhunters rifle

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....e=0&fpart=1

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:22 PM)

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #247622 - 21/05/14 08:37 PM

Good photos of both a simple M93 „Army Sporter“, as shown above by both patagonhunter and Lancaster, as well as of a full-blown “Plezier” rifle with long octagon barrel, adjustable sights, side paneled pg stock with cheekpiece, are shown in R.W.D.Ball’s book “Mauser Military Rifles of the World”. Here are some other photos of “Pleziers” from the net:

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:23 PM)

kuduae
.400 member

Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: kuduae]
      #247623 - 21/05/14 08:54 PM

Patagon hunter's rigle Shows pre-1912 civilian proofmarks: CROWN-crown/N = proofed using the "4000 atm smokeless proof powder" for a service load of 2.75 gramm = 42gr Gewehrblättchenpulver = (military)rifle flake powder and a StmG = steel jacketed bullet.
Why did many of These rifles end up in gunshops? Not all officers who received such a "gift" had use for a sporting rifle and preferred cash instead, so they sold their brand new rifles .

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #247626 - 21/05/14 10:39 PM

Hope this goes through ,very nice ! http://web.archive.org/web/20050202114452/http://primasel.co.za/

PatagonHunter
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/06
Loc: Bariloche, Patagonia Argentina
      #247629 - 21/05/14 11:36 PM

Hello kuduae,

In Argentina the Armed Forces Mauser, both M1891 and 1909 were 7,65x53 Mauser (by the way THE FIRST really Mauser designed smokeless powder cartridge and modern even by actual standards...). Not the 7x57 that was very little known here. I will try to find the pictures of my friend´s DWM Army Sporter, also in 7x57, but made with a 1898 Mauser Action with the same magazine floor plate as the Argentine 1909 Mauser, but with original double trigger made as part of the magazine as in the Original Sporting Mausers. I think these DWM sporters we find here in Argentina came from another source than the "official gifts" made with the shipment of the militay contracts...
Thank you for the Proof Mark information!

PatagonHunter

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #247632 - 22/05/14 01:03 AM

Quote:

Hope this goes through ,very nice ! http://web.archive.org/web/20050202114452/http://primasel.co.za/

THE 7 x 57 mm calibre PLEZIER MAUSER (SPORTING MAUSER)
The beautiful and rare Plezier Mauser with it's characteristic octagonal barrel and elegant stock of selected European walnut, was a sporting version of the 7 x 57mm calibre military Mauser used by the Boer commandos. The Plezier Mauser was, however, also used by some of the burghers during the War, as both the Free State and Transvaal Republics had ordered small quantities of the rifle for sale to the burghers. A considerable number of Plezier Mausers were also purchased privately by burghers through arms agencies. Both Republics presented the Plezier Mauser to deserving officers and officials as a token of appreciation for exceptional service. The Free State President, M.T. Steyn, also owned a Plezier Mauser.

COMMEMORATIVE SERIES OFFERED
A commemorative series of the Plezier Mauser rifle is offered to coincide with the Centenary of the Anglo-Boer War which takes place from 1999 to 2002.

Original Model 1896 Mauser bolt actions are being used in the assembly of the rifles, while all other components are being manufactured in South Africa in accordance with the original Plezier Mauser specifications.
The numbered series is limited to 140 rifles and consists of 4 subseries of 35 rifles each. The respective subseries are named after the 4 most important Boer generals of the Anglo-Boer War, and also carry the names of the important battles assiciated with the generals concerned. The names of the subseries and rifle numbers are inscribed on the magazine plates. The inscriptions are as follows:

1899 - 1902 * Anglo-Boeroorlog * 100 - Jaar
Genl. Christiaan de Wet Gedenkmauser No. __ (1 to 35)
Sannaspos * Groenkop * Roodewal

Genl. Koos de la Rey Gedenkmauser No. __ (1 to 35)
Magersfontein * Ysterspruit * Tweebosch

Genl. Louis Botha Gedenkmauser No. __ (1 to 35)
Colenso * Spioenkop * Bakenlaagte

Genl. Jan Smuts Gedenkmauser No. __ (1 to 35)
Elandsrivierpoort * Nooitgedacht

very nice

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:24 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#247635 - 22/05/14 01:24 AM

whats this? DWM action and barrel also with brazilian proof but it looks like a 8x57
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/27852/Mauser-sporting-rifle

the original M 1908 Brazilian Mauser

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1085

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:25 PM)

kuduae
.400 member

#247636 - 22/05/14 01:28 AM

Patagon hunter, of course I know that the 7.65x53 Belgian, Turkish, Argentinian Mauser cartridge was the Service number of Argentinia. But the 7x57 was the Service cartridge of several neighbouring South American countries: Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia and more up to Mexico.Many of these states got their military arms from Ludwig Loewe = DWM. Those Army sporter/gift rifles that ended up in Argentinia need not been delivered directly from Germany, but may have accompanied shipments to other, then poorer countries with even less big game hunting then, from where they were reexported to your homeland.

kuduae
.400 member

#247643 - 22/05/14 02:10 AM

Lancaster, except for the DWM receiver inscription and the circled B stamp (these B stamps were used by several countries, France and the Soviet Union among them), this rifle Looks like a typical Mauser C, as imported by Tauscher to the USA. the inscriptions "spitzer bullet" and "Germany" look like "Mauser" too, and the thing even has a pre-WW1 Mauser factory buttplate with the Waffenfabrik Mauser WFM logo. As I wrote elsewere, DWM sometimes had their "promotional gift" rifles put together by their subsidiary Mauser, because DWM lacked a commercial shop of their own.
BTW, about the DWM-Mauser Relations: Many of the Brazilian 7x57 1908 military rifles are marked on the receiver wall "Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken Oberndorf a.N."! DWM, Berlin had the order, but for capacity reasons subcontracted the actual making to their subsidiary Mauser, Oberndorf.

lancaster
.470 member

#247649 - 22/05/14 03:48 AM

I am just astonished by the fact that a Mauser sporter had a DWM action

what is it now? an original Mauser sporter or some kind of plezier rifle made by Mauser for DWM with DWM parts?

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

#247650 - 22/05/14 04:08 AM

[Quote]what is it now? an original Mauser sporter or some kind of plezier rifle made by Mauser for DWM with DWM parts?

First, it is not a Plezier rifle! That name is used for the upgrade ones with long, octagonal barrel, sent by DWM to South Africa, only.
It’s an "Army Hunting" or C rifle put together by Mauser for DWM, intended to be a gift for promotional purposes and numbered in a special range, note the low 62 serial number. There was some variation in the exact configuration of the type C rifles. As Jon Speed already wrote, Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles, page 112: “Similar rifles were made up by Mauser using DWM parts.”

Edited by kuduae (22/05/14 06:04 AM)

PatagonHunter
.300 member

#247652 - 22/05/14 06:11 AM

Hello kuduae,

Of course I was sure you knew the service cartrige of our own and our neibourghs 7 mm Mauser (less Paraguay where the service cartridge and Mauser were also the 7,65x53, as well as Bolivia and Perú). Anyway, the origin of these DWM Army Sporters, M93 and M98, in Argentina is open to speculation.

Thank you!

PatagonHunter

kuduae
.400 member

Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: PatagonHunter]
      #247653 - 22/05/14 06:45 AM

Quote:

7 mm Mauser (less Paraguay where the service cartridge and Mauser were also the 7,65x53, as well as Bolivia and Perú)

Paraguay used both cartridges. Though most of their military rifles, models of 1907, 1927, M24/30, Standard model 1933, were in 7.65x53, both their first modern rifle, a M95 Mauser, and the small number of Haenel M1909, were in 7x57.

lancaster
.470 member

#247678 - 22/05/14 01:21 PM

Quote:

[Quote]what is it now? an original Mauser sporter or some kind of plezier rifle made by Mauser for DWM with DWM parts?

First, it is not a Plezier rifle! That name is used for the upgrade ones with long, octagonal barrel, sent by DWM to South Africa, only.
It’s an "Army Hunting" or C rifle put together by Mauser for DWM, intended to be a gift for promotional purposes and numbered in a special range, note the low 62 serial number. There was some variation in the exact configuration of the type C rifles. As Jon Speed already wrote, Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles, page 112: “Similar rifles were made up by Mauser using DWM parts.”

I think we have to clear the items up.
I use the "Plezier rifle" as a word for a DWM sporter that was send as some kind of gift or corruption with military rifles. they do it for being in good memory some day when another order have to place. so the south american rifles are in this meaning also "Plezier rifles" like mauser is a bolt action or colt is a revolver. I see that they have not allways the same level of quality the original south african Plezier mauser had. it is obvious that DWM know exactly what to do and build the south african rifles exactly for the taste of a Boer.

--------------------

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
      #247681 - 22/05/14 04:31 PM

I don't have the original informationto credit the owner of this lovely example.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:27 PM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: VonGruff]
      #247683 - 22/05/14 04:51 PM

Question; why those two holes in magazine bottom plate ?

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

PatagonHunter
.300 member

Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: Igorrock]
      #247695 - 22/05/14 07:54 PM

Hello kuduae,

Thank you! I didn't know that early use of the 7mm Mauser by Paraguay as a first modern service cartridge.

PatagonHunter

kuduae
.400 member

Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: PatagonHunter]
      #247696 - 22/05/14 08:12 PM

Quote:

I use the "Plezier rifle" as a word for a DWM sporter that was send as some kind of gift or corruption with military rifles. they do it for being in good memory some day when another order have to place. so the south american rifles are in this meaning also "Plezier rifles" like mauser is a bolt action or colt is a revolver. I see that they have not allways the same level of quality the original south african Plezier mauser had. it is obvious that DWM know exactly what to do and build the south african rifles exactly for the taste of a Boer.

That's wrong IMHO. "Plezier Mauser" is not a generic term for all those "Army Hunting" rifles built as gifts to accompany foreign orders, but a very specific name for the one type made for the Boers in South Africa, a M93 action with a long, octagonal barrel. Alas, "Plezier" is the Afrikaans spelling of "pleasure" (English), „plaisir“ (French), “Pläsier“ (German). So the spelling “Plezier” was never used by Spanish- or English speaking customers, let alone Germans at DWM or Mauser.

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
      #247706 - 22/05/14 10:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's wrong IMHO. "Plezier Mauser" is not a generic term for all those "Army Hunting" rifles built as gifts to accompany foreign orders, but a very specific name for the one type made for the Boers in South Africa, a M93 action with a long, octagonal barrel. Alas, "Plezier" is the Afrikaans spelling of "pleasure" (English), „plaisir“ (French), “Pläsier“ (German). So the spelling “Plezier” was never used by Spanish- or English speaking customers, let alone Germans at DWM or Mauser.

I agree with this . I know many Boer families and their descendants and from my understanding many of these Plezier rifles were specially built for individual Boers, many of them older and more well to do . Deneys Reitz points out in his trilogy of the Boer wars that many of these rifles were "commandeered" from these older gentleman and given to the younger and better shots of the Commando. It was a simple case of survival of the fittest ;the best shots got the most accurate rifles. Reitz also notes by the end of the war almost all of the Boers were using Lee Metford rifles as the 7mm Ammunition had long dried up. the Boers actually had a shoestring reloading facility in Pretoria after the infamous "kort neck" ammunition that was imported. Reitz himself captured a Lee Speed rifle from a British Officer and liked the rifle so much he hid it in his parents barn when he and some of the other "Bitter Enders "finally surrendered

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:29 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

Re: Plezier Mauser [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #247741 - 23/05/14 04:11 PM

here is another 7x57 DWM sporter In the Doublegunshop forum but it looks like a round barrel and not so long like the south african rifles. could it be one of the gifts for a south american order?

checkering on the forearm looks different too.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=207243&PHPSESSID=

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:29 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#247743 - 23/05/14 04:21 PM

Quote:

what do you think how many rifles were made for Hans Tauscher as a gift? seems very generous to me.

the "spitzer bullet" rifle

http://www.landofborchardt.com/tauscher-article.html

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/07/14 09:30 PM)

lancaster
.470 member

#247746 - 23/05/14 04:39 PM

the link to a south american DWM gift rifle were many questions were talk about before

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post227747

--------------------

Edited by lancaster (23/05/14 04:55 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24714

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com