Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed info

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Francis
.224 member

Reged: 10/12/09
Loc: Sedgwick, Victoria, Australia
Lee Speed info
      #247565 - 20/05/14 08:32 AM

Dear all,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out more info on Lee Speed sporters.

What year did the rifles change from Metford to Enfield rifling?

Some rifles have a swept forward bolt handle, does this tie in with the rifling change?

Are there proof marks relating to the regulation load, ie 215gr/174gr?

Any other info greatly appreciated.

Oh, and where I can get my hands on a really nice example would be helpful as well.

All the best,

John

--------------------
If some is good, more is better.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Clark
.275 member

Reged: 25/11/08
Loc: Sweden
Re: Lee Speed info [Re: Francis]
      #247573 - 20/05/14 05:54 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this as well as I'm awaiting my first BSA Lee Speed, so I would be interested to know as well.

According to the catalogue from BSA, the rifles were available both with a swept forward and straight bolt handle depending on the pattern:

/L

Rowdy
.275 member

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: Victoria. Australia
Re: Lee Speed info [Re: Clark]
      #247742 - 23/05/14 04:12 PM

Well Guys,

A specific reference on Lee Speed sporters is pretty much totally lacking at present.
An American gentleman who posts here under jc5 was expecting to produce one this year sometime.

As a generalisation, both the carbine style bolt handle and Enfield rifling became standard about 1895/6 but could be special ordered if you were prepared to wait.

All British rifles for local sale and I think all BSA sporters regardless were proof tested and that would have been for the standard 215gn Mk.VI military load which was replicated by Eley with a soft nose projectile for hunting.

1896 was the year BSA had some rifles returned from South Africa suffering from excessive pressure and they determined but could not prove that it was the fault of Rifleite powder in the hot climate and from then on the rifles carried the "for cordite only" markings.

As I say we are waiting for the definitive text from jc5.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Lee Speed info [Re: Rowdy]
      #247817 - 24/05/14 09:47 AM

Perhaps this will be seen as nit-picking, if so apologies, but the BSA Catalog page above clearly says "Lee Enfield Pattern" in the title bar at top of page. Accordingly IMHO the rifles should be referred to as commercial Lee Enfield sporters, rather than Lee Speeds. Such is the rifle from the Gunbroker auction site pictured in the adjacent thread (marked "BSA Co" rather than "Lee Speed Patents" on the socket).
This takes nothing away from the quality and desirability of the various grades, and in practical terms there is no functional or aesthetic difference. Certainly when planning a modern build, the Magazine Lee Enfield Mk.I action is much easier to source than an original Lee Speed action.

Lee Speeds were from a particular historical period in British gun-making, and are essentially pre-WWI, whereas Lee Enfield sporters on ex-mil actions were offered by the trade for some time after each major war of Empire. I have a Churchill sporter on an Ishapore No.1 Mk.III made in the late '40s or early '50s, for example.

Can we assume the BSA catalog dates from between the wars?

BTW, much anticipation of JC5's contribution in this camp, too!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Deutsche_Vortrekker
.333 member

Reged: 27/04/08
Loc: From the Kalahari to the USA
Re: Lee Speed info [Re: Marrakai]
      #247825 - 24/05/14 12:25 PM

I believe the BSA Enfield Lee Speed sporters were only different in that when the patents ran out and instead of "Lee Speed" with the patent dates on the rear receiver collar the rifle now just said "BSA Co." (in the case of the BSA made rifles)I am not sure exactly when this date was but it was before WW1

Francis
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed info [Re: Deutsche_Vortrekker]
      #247830 - 24/05/14 04:18 PM

Thanks Gents for all the info,

So, to sum up, the rifles could be ordered with either swept forward or straight bolt handles and either Metford or Enfield rifling and all would have been regulated for the 215gr load?

--------------------

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
      #247858 - 25/05/14 10:51 AM

Possibly the Lee Speed used the Long Lee Enfield action, (the trigger/sear is slightly different) to which Speed's patent refers?

My Westley Richards (posted somewhere here), quite late with tang safety does

I saw one very nice example at Bisley today but at (to me!!) astronomically high price of £3000 + (cased with accessories)

TH44

Francis
.224 member

Re: Lee Speed info [Re: TH44]
      #247876 - 25/05/14 06:10 PM

I don't suppose that was the LSA rifle I have seen advertised - it was around that sort of money.

--------------------

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
      #247878 - 25/05/14 07:17 PM

It was retailed by Army & Navy

TH44

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3472

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com