Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Delisting the Grizzly...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Delisting the Grizzly...
      #246472 - 26/04/14 02:51 AM

http://blog.eastmans.com/will-western-states-finally-manage-grizzly-bears/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
peteblt
.224 member

Reged: 28/04/14
Loc: usa/canada
Re: Delisting the Grizzly... [Re: Ripp]
      #246632 - 29/04/14 06:53 AM

Ripp, you may live to see it, I won't. You'll note on that map in your link, just a tad below their "admitted" range is Pinedale WY where I live. Black bears are hunted by baiting in WY. In 2010 a hunter had a bait near Half Moon Lake (about a mile from my house). Late in the day in came a bear and he killed it. It was a very old and battered Grizzly. He quickly turned himself into WYG&F, as if the Feds get you, you're toast. (The joke is you'll do less time for killing your spouse than a Grizzly).
He lost the bear, got fined but that was it.

A guide friend had a bowhunter on a Moose Hunt about 30 miles NW of Pinedale.
They glassed a nice bull. The guide usually went unarmed but this time carried in his Marlin 45-70 carbine full of Buffalo Bore loads. When they got to where the Moose had been (willows along a stream) a Grizzly came out in full charge. The 45-70 was run dry and the bear was less than 10 feet from their feet. The guide reloaded, call the wardens, they came and concluded that since the pile of empties was very close to the bear it was a "good shoot". Later they discovered a dead steer calf back in the willows so the bear was defending its kill.

Whole areas in the Gross Ventre mountains, near Jackson (pronounced gra-vant) that used to be prime Elk country are now essentially unsafe to pack in and set up a camp to hunt from.

It's too bad that the same government that once exterminated all the wolves and bears to open up the back country for cattle and sheep grazing permits, has now reintroduced these apex predators while STILL selling grazing leases.

We finally got back control of the wolves (saw 2 last year but no shot possible), the bears should be next. Given the cost to hunt Browns up North, I imagine WY/ID/MT could charge $10,000 for a non-resident Grizzly license and have a line going back to NY. It's a shame that dozens of "problem bears" are executed every years by state and federal officials, that could have been a hunt of a lifetime for some sportsman. Many more are killed by ranchers to protect their stock following the motto of:
Shoot, shovel and shut up.

At least we got rid of all our state gun laws in Wyoming.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Delisting the Grizzly... [Re: peteblt]
      #246641 - 29/04/14 08:07 AM

Some areas here, are over populated with the big bears. Last time in camp (couple years back), I wasn't even guiding, just out looking for birch bark for fire starters, drove only about 5 miles altogether and saw 1 sow with 2 cubs, and 2 lone boars - on the bloody roads (ditches), mid day, no less - this was fall, not the spring! Some areas are overpopulated with grizzly's here, too.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Delisting the Grizzly... [Re: DarylS]
      #246682 - 29/04/14 11:24 PM

There are many areas here in MT as well that are way over populated..there is an area only an hour from town that has bow hunters hammered every year by griz..it is a very well known fact there are a lot of griz in that area but people keep going back bow hunting and people keep getting mauled..weird??

I was told years ago having breakfast one morning with the local sheriff in W Yellowstone that there are many more griz than the Feds the state FWP let you know there is..ironically had a retired office of the State FWP also tell me this same thing..so, if it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, its probably a fish...

I have bumped into them on numerous occasions hiking...but always have had a firearm along..will NOT go hiking in griz country without one..little woman carriers pepper spray...I am not convinced it works better than lead, as lead still moves forward in a 30 mile per hour wind in your face when the bear is charging you..IMHO.. have many friends who have run into them hunting, hiking, etc as well...

Amazingly for the 25 years I have lived here the number of adult griz has virtually remained the same per the FWP..wierd, they must be the only species that doesn't reproduce and yet the incidence of running into them is ever increasing...now, they are even having issues in Yellowstone..as hikers, campers have been getting killed by them ..so the attitude may be shifting a bit..to a more logical stance one would hope...if emotion could just be kept out of it along with personal agenda's and let the TRUE numbers speak for themselves...but the LIBS will never let that happen..and sue away they will..

Libs are totally willing to hear your point of view as long as it agrees with theirs..and when its not, the fight is on...so, let the games begin..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (30/04/14 12:21 AM)

OLDBULL
.224 member

Reged: 22/09/07
Loc: BRITISH-COLUMBIA CANADA
Re: Delisting the Grizzly... [Re: Ripp]
      #249850 - 02/07/14 06:42 PM

Here on east side of Vancouver island north of Campbell river the grizzly is now being seen where it has not been seen before several have been shot on the island port hardy,port mc neil.
loggers chased by the big bear... across the water to the mainland Glendale cove,and the inlets knight,butte,apple river have been prime grizz territory and have produced many trophy bears.......... grizz on the island is BAD for TOURISM so ,I believe local authorities try to keep reports of sightings and encounters hush-hush!!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1703

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com