Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mono metal bullet Cape buffalo penetration from a .500 NE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Mono metal bullet Cape buffalo penetration from a .500 NE
      #246413 - 25/04/14 08:34 AM

All:

Here's a newbie question: I am about to embark on my 1st Cape buffalo hunt and have a very basic question regarding bullet penetration on Cape buffalo.

The bullets I will use are Barnes mono metal 570 grain TSX in a .500 NE. Assume 2050 fps mv

1. How do these things penetrate when shooting facing on or broadside at 50 yards?
2. At 100 yards?
3. If penetration is expected to be excessive, should I down load somewhat and take it down by 100 FPS to 1950 FPS?
4. What about taking it down to 1850 FPS?

I have the Barnes solids as well. My thought is to load them to the same velocity as I do the TSX bullets. Would they perform in an "up the exhaust pipe" shot if required even at the reduced loads I'm contemplating? I could theoretically down load the TSXs and full power load the solids on the theory that if you actually need a solid, you need it in the worst possible way.

POI is not an issue as I've managed to get a lighter load and a full power load to regulate to the same POI @ up to 100 yards by experimenting with different powders and seating depths until I got the two different loads tuned to hit the same POI.

I have absolutely ZERO field experience with this gun or Cape buffalo so any and all opinions based on field experience would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Postman

Edited by Postman (25/04/14 08:44 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Mono metal bullet Cape buffalo penetration from a .500 NE [Re: Postman]
      #246466 - 26/04/14 02:13 AM

I've taken 3 bufs. Closest thing to your 500 was my 458 Lott. I drove a Barnes from stern to personality through a Texas brain shot entering at the left hip and coming to rest against the hide below the throat. Your 500 at 2100, give or take, will be more than sufficient.

Mainly, don't shoot the buffalo at more than 30 yards, definitely not at 100. Takes all the fun and excitement out of hunting.

Get as close as you can, then move in three more steps. When you can hear and feel your heart pounding, you're almost close enough.

My next big gun in Africa will be my S&W 500 revolver. I've already taken a old stink bull giraffe with it. This time I'm going for a non-trophy elephant.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Mono metal bullet Cape buffalo penetration from a .500 NE [Re: poprivit]
      #246467 - 26/04/14 02:34 AM

I as well have taken 3 cape buffalo --all three with a .416 Rem. using Swift A-Frames for my fist shot followed up by Barnes Solids..was shooting 400 grs at around 2400fps..

had one swift on a side shot of about 60 yards blow through and out the other side..on another hit it with a soft..it ran, I fired 3 more in the s end headed north..2 were under the hide by the neck and one went completely through..

You will be fine with what you are using..Barnes are great bullets IMHO.. I have never has an issue with them...I have heard of some issues but never experienced them myself. Personally I would not download them anymore than necessary to get similar POI with the two you are using..just make sure the off side is clear and pull the trigger..I like to hear that good solid smack of lots of metal and power on the hide as the bullet hits..buffalo are tough..very tough...give them all you got and once down, give them more..

Have a great time..and as stated..DO NOT take long shots on them..closer is better..nothing over 100 and preferably much closer..mine ranged from about 30-60yds..give or take.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (26/04/14 02:55 AM)

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Mono metal bullet Cape buffalo penetration from a .500 NE [Re: Ripp]
      #246495 - 27/04/14 12:00 AM

Apologies, post deleted, missed your comments about lighter loads shooting to same POI in the double.....

Edited by Marrakai (27/04/14 12:03 AM)

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Mono metal bullet Cape buffalo penetration from a .500 NE [Re: poprivit]
      #246500 - 27/04/14 01:09 AM

Quote:

Mainly, don't shoot the buffalo at more than 30 yards, definitely not at 100. Takes all the fun and excitement out of hunting.

Get as close as you can, then move in three more steps. When you can hear and feel your heart pounding, you're almost close enough.

These words of wisdom have got me absolutely positively excited!! Only 56 more days to wait!!!

The 100 yard sight in was for my benefit to build confidence in both myself and the rifle. I absolutely want the experience of true hunting - up close and personal!!!! I can be a pretend sniper at the range. :-)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Mono metal bullet Cape buffalo penetration from a .500 NE [Re: Postman]
      #246502 - 27/04/14 02:30 AM

I agree - sniping (merely shooting) is for sage rats, rock chucks and ground hogs - hunting is tracking, stalking - getting close and as personal as possible - that's what the hunt is all about.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2870

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com