Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dpcd67
.224 member

Reged: 08/07/13
Loc: USA
Re: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why? [Re: NitroX]
      #246167 - 22/04/14 07:34 AM

I have two Ks' a 9.3 and a 450-400; both very accurate and reliable. But, you have to like the safety/cocking system. I don't mind it. I also have a Chapuis; good value there. I want a Heym, but as stated above, they are way overpriced. If their video is any indication, they are very inefficient in their manufacturing process, and I guess they don't want to change. Merkels? Never owned one.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why? [Re: dpcd67]
      #246171 - 22/04/14 08:52 AM

Quote:

I have two Ks' a 9.3 and a 450-400; both very accurate and reliable. But, you have to like the safety/cocking system. I don't mind it. I also have a Chapuis; good value there. I want a Heym, but as stated above, they are way overpriced. If their video is any indication, they are very inefficient in their manufacturing process, and I guess they don't want to change. Merkels? Never owned one.

Not quite sure I'd suggest that Heym is less efficient than the other double manufacturers. All these rifles are hand made propositions. CNC work is not their claim to fame whether it be Merkel, Krieghoff, or Heym. The difference lies in the human labour level of effort, and they're all inefficient by that measure.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why? [Re: TOBY458]
      #246261 - 23/04/14 01:38 PM

Quote:

My bore scope told a slightly different story. All three had leades that looked like a tractor had dragged a nasty farm implement across the lands within the throat. The rest of the bore was equivalent to the quality of a Remington. This is NOT a compliment. Tool marks, smeared lands, utterly disgusting lack of care and craftsmanship.

Quote:

Personally feel, especially based on your findings of the bore scope..in todays world as has been normally always the case, you get what you pay for..there are NO free lunchs...unless you are a democrat in the US, then you get a free lunch and a phone....

Simply put, there is a reason other than just name that you pay what you do for the other brands..

Ripp

The above is not my experience with the bores in Merkel double rifles! The fact is these barrels are rifled by cold hammer forging, and there is np more accurate way of rifling a barrel. The carbide mandrel has the lands and grooves cut in negative on the outside of the mandrel. This is pressed into the bore, and cold hammer forged compressing the barrel steel to form a positive land and groove, then stress relieved at several hundred degrees below zero tempratures. There is no reason for tool marks to be present in a cold hammer forged barrel’s bore because no tools are used to rifle that type of barrel.

Some of the most accurately rifled barrels in the gun world are cold hammer forged. Rifles like Mannlicher Shoenauer, Heym, Suuer, and the like are all cold hammer forged barrels. All made exactly the same way.

On the Merkel double rifles being made on shotgun actions! That is backwards! Merkel shotguns are made on rifle actions, not the reverse. This is one reason the rifles and shotguns can be made for the price point they can because the making of only one action for all the S/S double rifles and shotguns, just making the same action with reduced shapes for the smaller rifles and shotguns, All starting with the same basic forging.

The 140-1.2 Safari 375H&H through 500NE are made on a 20 ga SIZE action with a heavier barr and wider fences. The 140E-1 chambered from the smaller chamberings up through 9.3X74R is also made on a 20 ga but with a more thin barr, and narrower fences. The 141 double with adjustable regulation is very light,and is made on a 28 ga size action, and is chambered for the same cartridges as the 140E-1 but is extremely light. However all are made with cold hammer forged barrels, and all are build on rifle actions.

George Caswell does know his stuff, but the opinion that a Chapuis double is stronger that a Merkel is simply that HIS OPINION, and is not bared out by the facts.

I have zero problem with any of the brands mentioned in this thread, and if the fit you and that is what you want I say BUY ONE, but think a Merkel is a weak rifle is simply a mistake!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
Re: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why? [Re: Postman]
      #246262 - 23/04/14 01:39 PM

I have a K-gun and a Searcy. The K-gun's finish (metal work and overall) is far superior to the Searcy's.

I like the K-guns cocking lever feature and find it very useable in the field. Also very accurate and fits me well.

Cheers.

GG

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why? [Re: GG375]
      #246264 - 23/04/14 01:44 PM

I once heard a guy say (as regards wine) - "drink what you enjoy, not what people tell you to drink."

These are all quality products. Shoot (test) them all and buy the one that suits you best.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why? [Re: GG375]
      #246439 - 25/04/14 01:11 PM

Quote:

I have a K-gun and a Searcy. The K-gun's finish (metal work and overall) is far superior to the Searcy's.

I like the K-guns cocking lever feature and find it very useable in the field. Also very accurate and fits me well.

Cheers.

GG

GG375, may I ask which model B. Searcy you have?

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
Re: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #246473 - 26/04/14 07:22 AM

Dugaboy1

It is a deluxe grade boxlock with side plates. It is about 10 years old now. First one into Australia as far as I know.

Cheers.

GG

Postman
.375 member

#246493 - 26/04/14 10:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My bore scope told a slightly different story. All three had leades that looked like a tractor had dragged a nasty farm implement across the lands within the throat. The rest of the bore was equivalent to the quality of a Remington. This is NOT a compliment. Tool marks, smeared lands, utterly disgusting lack of care and craftsmanship.

Quote:

Personally feel, especially based on your findings of the bore scope..in todays world as has been normally always the case, you get what you pay for..there are NO free lunchs...unless you are a democrat in the US, then you get a free lunch and a phone....

Simply put, there is a reason other than just name that you pay what you do for the other brands..

Ripp

The above is not my experience with the bores in Merkel double rifles! The fact is these barrels are rifled by cold hammer forging, and there is np more accurate way of rifling a barrel. The carbide mandrel has the lands and grooves cut in negative on the outside of the mandrel. This is pressed into the bore, and cold hammer forged compressing the barrel steel to form a positive land and groove, then stress relieved at several hundred degrees below zero tempratures. There is no reason for tool marks to be present in a cold hammer forged barrel’s bore because no tools are used to rifle that type of barrel.

Some of the most accurately rifled barrels in the gun world are cold hammer forged. Rifles like Mannlicher Shoenauer, Heym, Suuer, and the like are all cold hammer forged barrels.

Yes, that is my understanding as to how forged rifling is done. Is the chamber also formed this way or is the chamber / leade cut with a reamer after cold forging? Could a dull reamer smear the lands? I am at a loss to explain the tool marks. Possibly marks from a bad cleaning rod? I bought all three new so there have been no owners previous before me that could have mistreated the bores.

My pockets aren't as deep as some, and with the serious $ all these doubles cost, it really irks me to see less than what I'd hoped for. I don't expect match grade air gauged / polished Lilja, Krieger, or Hart barrels, but I do look at Sako factory rifles as a reasonable standard to compare to. I've had close to maybe a dozen Sakos pass through my vault and their bores were all very well executed: smooth transition between chamber to lands / grooves, very sharp and square lands. I know I'm being overly critical and a bit of a fuss pot but hey, it does kind of bug me like getting a nasty scratch in the paint of a new car bugs me after spending all that money.

I would again emphasize that my Merkels have been very accurate without dispute irrespective of what I see with the bore scope. Indeed, I still have the 9.3x74 140A and will never part with it. My .470 140AE was used to raise cash to pay for my Heym, but there was nothing wrong with it's performance at the range whatsoever.

These Merkels are beautiful well put together rifles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Beauty is one thing, but they do perform very well at the range and most certainly in the game fields where it counts.

Postman
.375 member

#246496 - 27/04/14 12:12 AM

Ok, so after all this banter about the Merkel barrels, I just went and pulled my Merkel out of the vault along with my Sako .375.

I also leafed through the pages of my reloading records and totalled up the number of cartridges I've loaded for the Merkel and I then subtracted the number of unfired cartridges from the total to give me a precise round count that has gone through the Merkel. Total round count since new = 298 rounds fired. An even distribution between left and right barrel suggests 149 rounds through each barrel to-date.

I then looked at the bores again.... The Merkel bores (in both barrels) show the leade or start of the rifling with each land shaped slightly inconsistent from land to land with minimal wear or erosion. Moving along the lands, there are a great number of cut marks perpendicular to the lands across the surface of the lands running maybe an inch into the bores proper. The cut marks make the lands look similar to a washboard dirt road. Moving further into the bores, the lands look more like they should. The Sako by comparison has perfectly formed and polished leade and lands throughout it's entire length. The round count is 100 even.

So, my mind isn't playing tricks on me. I'm disheartened by what I saw even though I knew what I'd find.

Still this Merkel shoots!!! I just can't look inside anymore because it really does bug me. I will try to live in a state of denial.

Edited by Postman (27/04/14 01:32 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #246499 - 27/04/14 01:01 AM

Quote:

... I will try to live in a state of denial.

I'm right there with you... Not a bad place, once you get used to it...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#246506 - 27/04/14 03:02 AM

Quote:

Moving along the lands, there are a great number of cut marks perpendicular to the lands across the surface of the lands running maybe an inch into the bores proper. The cut marks make the lands look similar to a washboard dirt road. Moving further into the bores, the lands look more like they should.

Still this Merkel shoots!!! I just can't look inside anymore because it really does bug me. I will try to live in a state of denial.

Postman, I feel your pain! That description clears this up some! This is the only area in the bore where a cold hammer forged barrel could show tool marks. However these marks can be polished out, by a knowledgeable smith without any ill effect.

These cuts are, IMO, the result of an over used chambering reamer, or a tiny shaving getting hung in the reamer and not noticed by the tech doing the chambering. In any event it should have been polished out in the lead, but if the rifle shoots properly it really doesn't matter to anything but a perfectionist's mindset! I fully understand your thinking, as I'm guilty of that mindset as well. I think all rabid double rifle people are just a little on the perfectionist side!

I must admit that I haven't personally looked that close to the lead in any of my Merkels. You have me looking for a bore scope as we speak.

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

#246519 - 27/04/14 05:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Moving along the lands, there are a great number of cut marks perpendicular to the lands across the surface of the lands running maybe an inch into the bores proper. The cut marks make the lands look similar to a washboard dirt road. Moving further into the bores, the lands look more like they should.

Postman, I feel your pain! That description clears this up some! This is the only area in the bore where a cold hammer forged barrel could show tool marks. However these marks can be polished out, by a knowledgeable smith without any ill effect.

These cuts are, IMO, the result of an over used chambering reamer, or a tiny shaving getting hung in the reamer and not noticed by the tech doing the chambering. In any event it should have been polished out in the lead, but if the rifle shoots properly it really doesn't matter to anything but a perfectionist's mindset! I fully understand your thinking, as I'm guilty of that mindset as well. I think all rabid double rifle people are just a little on the perfectionist side!

I must admit that I haven't personally looked that close to the lead in any of my Merkels. You have me looking for a bore scope as we speak.

Don't do it!! Please, just don't do it!!!!! Bore scopes lead to insanity!!!!!!!!!!!

The 141-A that I had in .30-06 (had is the operative word!) had the lands in the leade actually smeared like the metal was made of cake icing. I waited over a year for that rifle and when it finally arrived I took it home and looked inside, I was truly sick to my stomach. The rifle was soooo super light and handy, but the do it yourself regulation never worked right, and the state of the bore was just awful. It was barely ok I suppose within the context of double rifle accuracy perspective - it shot a 4" diagonal group at 50 yards and the shots tended to wander around some within the composite group. The varying point of impact I do credit to the super light weight barrels that heated very quickly as one might expect out of really light barrels so I wouldn't blame that on Merkel. It is simply a derivative of physics. Anyway, that rifle went down the highway out of sheer disgust and disappointment. I lost a bunch of money and that was the last Merkel I've purchased. I wouldn't ever suggest I won't buy another one if I see one that catches my fancy because the soldered barrel versions have really shot well for me and have been masterfully regulated.

Honestly out of the three I've owned (4 including the drilling), all displayed really sloppy work in the leade area. All save for the 141A shot really well in spite of the factory chamber work. I just don't understand why someone would take such great painstaking care and precision in building and meticulously fitting a rifle such that it is truly a masterpiece and then pull a bone headed move by screwing up the works with sloppy chamber work.

TOBY458
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/14
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #247347 - 12/05/14 12:52 AM

All of this above is precisely why I would never buy a bore scope! I have a feeling that my gun safe would have much more room in it if I did. From reading all of this, I've pretty much removed Merkel from my wish list. If I paid the money it takes to buy one, I would be very unforgiving to flaws such as the ones mentioned....

Postman
.375 member

Re: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why? [Re: TOBY458]
      #247426 - 14/05/14 09:52 AM

Quote:

All of this above is precisely why I would never buy a bore scope! I have a feeling that my gun safe would have much more room in it if I did. From reading all of this, I've pretty much removed Merkel from my wish list. If I paid the money it takes to buy one, I would be very unforgiving to flaws such as the ones mentioned....

Don't let my jaundiced bore scope snobbery jade your opinion of Merkel. It frustrated me to no end, but my 9.3x74R shoots like a dream, fits me well and is one of my favourite pieces. It cost half of a comparable Heym. When you look at enough bores, you discover that most rifles shoot really well even with a rough bore. All things are relative and few manufacturers actually give a damn about polishing the bore to look like a Lilja or Kreiger match grade bench rest barrel.

Manufacturers that I have seen with consistently good bores:

Sako
Heym
Blaser
Weatherby (all of the MK Vs, but particularly those with the Criterion button rifled barrels - never looked inside a Vanguard aka Howa)

The more garden variety rifles commonly seen in the fields of North America are not so pretty in my experience on the inside of the barrels HOWEVER, many will shoot REALLY well.... Remington model 700s come to mind as good shooters, and the last couple I've had were truly despicable in their quality control. I've had to stop myself from churning rifles based on the bore scope. Now I use it primarily to look for throat erosion, fire cracking, and rust / pitting, particularly before buying a used gun.

Edited by Postman (14/05/14 09:56 AM)

TOBY458
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/14
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #247519 - 18/05/14 07:08 AM

I have had very good luck with Sako and Tikka rifles in the accuracy dept. They do seem to have very smooth barrels. They dont copper foul and seem to clean up very easily.

I have an older Remington 700 that is equally as accurate and smooth. But have had others that were not.

I once had a Weatherby mk5 375 H&H that was aweful. It wasn't accurate with any load. And also had a rough bore. I'm talking 3" groups at 100 yds. I also had another MK5 300 weatherby mag that wasn't much better. And one in 7mm Rem Mag that shot great. So go figure.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye 375 that is very accurate. It's barrel seems to be smooth. And come to think of it, I've never had a Ruger M77 that didn't shoot at least decently. And I've had a few.

The Winchester model 70's that I've had have never dissapointed in the accuracy dept. I did have one in 270 that was a little sloppy in the action. But it was one of the last of the ones made before the reconstrution of Winchester a few years back. Their current rifles are jam up though.

So I guess all manufacture's have good and bad days.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why? [Re: CptCurl]
      #249019 - 15/06/14 08:47 AM

Quote:

It's a rifle action. That was conclusively established long ago. Like NitroX says, these internet rumors die hard.

The Merkel action is made out of very high grade steel and is hell for strong.

Curl

The Capt is correct! This is one reason Merkels can sell for less that some inferior doubles! Merkel builds lots of double shotguns, and double rifles, so it is a cost cutting idea to build only one action for both rifles and shotguns. The actions are RIFLE strength actions and are sized like shotgun actions. The big bore Safari models are made on a slightly over sized action with the firing pin spacing the same as the 20 ga shotgun action, this also includes the 9.3X74R 140E action but is smaller in outside measurement. The 141 uses the action size that will accommodate the 28 ga shotgun. But all the actions are made strong enough for double rifles, and this makes their shotguns super strong, Merkel shotguns are made on double RIFLE actions, not the other way around!

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #249052 - 15/06/14 09:42 PM

http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotBarrelMakingFeature.htm

Info on barrels...hammer forged is one of the most economical means of making barrels which is one of the main reasons it is used..ie remington...

I have no bones to pic with Merkel or Krieghoff..actually own a couple of Merkel shotguns...the Merkel rifle double didn't fit me well and got rid of it for a Westley...as others have suggested, if it fits you and you like it enjoy it...no problem with that.

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (16/06/14 05:32 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Champlin doesn't recommend Merkel or Kreighoff. Why? [Re: Ripp]
      #249093 - 16/06/14 09:06 AM

Video of standard factory barrel versus custom barrel..
NO comparison on quality in what I feel is a very small price to pay considering the labor and quality involved..

Ripp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9zZqn00CA

Additional info from various custom barrel manufacturers...Lilja and Hart --couple of the best..

http://www.hartbarrels.com/barrels.php

http://www.riflebarrels.com/about/default.htm

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (16/06/14 09:13 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19510

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com