Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Perchtoldsdorf Jaeger "Stutzen" Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Perchtoldsdorf Jaeger "Stutzen" Rifle
      #246241 - 23/04/14 05:20 AM

My son recently purchased this "Stutzen" rifle at an auction in Western Canada and has asked me if I have any information about it. However, I don't know much about these muzzle loading rifles.

On top of the barrel it is marked "Dobias & Howsky"... (or perhaps Dobiaschowsky) "in Perchtoldsdorf". I understand that Perchtoldsdorf is in Austria.

The rifle is light and compact and in very good (very likely shootable) condition with an overall length of 39 in., a barrel approx. 23in. with 3/8 in. across each barrel flat, LOP is 13.5 In., Bore is approx. .50 in.

It has a beautifully made folding peep sight on the wrist. This sight is in excellent condition and smoothly adjusts for both windage and elevation. It also has an open sight on the octagonal barrel with one standing and one folding leaf. It has a horn muzzle cap on the fullstock, double set triggers, and very extensive checkering and engraving.

Any information that anyone can provide about this rifle will be very appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rob

Edited by rpeck (24/04/14 01:36 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Perchtoldsdorf Jaeger "Stutzen" Rifle [Re: rpeck]
      #246245 - 23/04/14 08:04 AM

It's beautiful!

I can't help with ID on the maker.
If it were mine, I'd light up the bore and see how it looks.
I'd have the metal out of the wood and get the lock and triggers out and service them. I'd take a very close look at the wood - especially through the head and wrist for cracks and repairs.
My far-flung guess is that it's close to running shape - and I'd run it!

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Perchtoldsdorf Jaeger "Stutzen" Rifle [Re: tinker]
      #246275 - 23/04/14 04:54 PM

I put this in the 1850-1860s
please make the best pic of the name on the barrel as possible. Perchtoldsdorf is today in the suburb of Vienna but in this time it was just a country gunmaker there. I will try to ask in austria about this.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
      #246308 - 24/04/14 01:43 AM

Edited by rpeck (24/04/14 01:48 AM)

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #246309 - 24/04/14 02:24 AM

Very nice, Rob. Excellent shape and quite good condtion for a 'hunting & target' rifle.

My bother has one quite similar, but in poorer condition needing restoration - sometime.

The filing at the muzzles - grooves deepened along with filing on the lands, introducing a sort of 'bell' at the muzzle to allow easier loading of the patched ball has always intrigued me. In the states, some ML makers do this as a normal 'finishing touch' sort of duplicating the rifling appearance but larger - a short, slight funnel. This is called a "Hiney or Heiny or Hiny" muzzle treatment in the States.

Most of us simply radius the muzzle for easier ball starting, but the appearance of the rifling disappears right at the surface - but only just at the top end of the muzzle.

Usually the German and Austrian Stutzen (short rifle?) collectively called Jaeger rifles here, were of decent size bore - forma bout .48 to .60 cal., but had rather quick rifling twists compared to ML barrels made today. This means low powder charges, low velocity and arched trajectories over unknown ranges. Of course, use and practice makes for more accurate shooting under those conditions.

This rifle appears to be also a 'match' or target rifle as seems to be sighted for such, along with hunting sights - chamois in the Alps, anyone?

Flip up sights are of course very common for hunting rifles in Europe. The tang mounted & quite elaborate Lolipop target sight would be very difficult for hunting use due to the trajectory of the ball over distance due to slow sight changes and reduced sight picture. It appears to fold out of the line of sight of the open, hunting sights or would be removed and stored safely at home or in the 'hunting' bag.

Beautiful rifle, nice shape & I concur, it needs to be cleaned up a bit, insides cleaned of rust &/or caked grease and properly lubed as well as checked for safe function.

The bore should be checked with a penlight or bore scoped cor condition and to see if it is

STILL LOADED! many were left in that 'condition'.

Use of a dowel to see if it is loaded is a necessary precaution. Shove the dowel down the bore until it stops - mark it and law if alongside the bore to see if it extends to almost inline with the nipple's base. I would use a 3/8" or even 1/4" dowel as this rifle appears to have a patent breech. Thus, the breech could have a smaller sized inner hole (than the bore) to connect the nipple's flash channel to the main bore. The smaller diameter rod is necessary to enter this channel to see the real depth of the barrel's interior.

If a larger 7/16" rod for instance was used and the breech does have a smaller sized inner hole, the larger rod will stop at the end of the patent breech, thus giving a false reading as to the depth of the bore - making one think the gun is loaded or plugged perhaps with wasp's nest or dirt or some other foreign object.

Then, a visual inspection is necessary.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gungadoug
.333 member

Reged: 13/08/12
Loc: NM
Re: Perchtoldsdorf Jaeger "Stutzen" Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #248793 - 11/06/14 07:50 AM

Also, it's easy to see the bore after being sure it's unloaded- I just drop a fired case down there, primer up, and shine a light in- plenty of reflection to determine condition. Use a short pistol case to see as deeply as possible.
Doug

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2405

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com