Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington..
      #243582 - 10/03/14 08:58 AM

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/new-26-nosler-nosler-m48-trophy-grade-rifle-review/

www.gunsandammo.com

WHEN I WAS A KID, the .264 Winchester Magnum was the brightest star on the horizon. Introduced in 1958, it took off like a rocket, except that it fizzled fast when Remington introduced the 7mm Remington Magnum just four years later. I concede that Remington’s Big Seven is more versatile, but in those days it took longer for word to get around. I wasn’t yet 15 when I got my first .264, and I thought it was magical. I lost that rifle in a burglary in the early ’80s, and although I retained a soft spot for the cartridge, a quarter-century passed before I built up another .264.

By then I knew better. There was blue sky in the original figures for the .264, especially in my 24-inch tube, so I never got the velocity I thought I was getting, nor did anyone else. Jack O’Connor was probably correct in damning the .264 with faint praise, saying it wasn’t much different from his beloved .270, except that 6.5mm bullets are heavy for caliber and hold up very well downrange. The current .264 140-grain factory load is rated at 3,030 feet per second. My .264 has a 26-inch tube, and I can get 3,100 fps from a 140-grain bullet. At that velocity, it does great things at longer ranges, but it’s a stretch to call it really fast.

So, being a bit of a 6.5mm fan, I got excited when Nosler gave a sneak preview of the .26 Nosler. It was supposed to push a 140-grain bullet at 3,375 fps, a quantum leap over the .264, except that they were wrong about the velocity. In the 26-inch barrel of the Nosler Model 48 I used, actual average velocity was 3,425 fps — a bonus of 50 fps.

The RUM case The .26 Nosler’s parent case is the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag., a wonderfully fast cartridge but definitely overbore capacity and sensitive to the powders it will accept. This was mitigated somewhat by shortening the case to (nominally) 2½ inches, which allows it to fit into a standard .30-’06-length action. The case is then necked down to 6.5mm, retaining the 40-degree shoulder and a full-caliber neck. The RUM case, based on the old .404 Jeffery, has a larger diameter (.550 inch) than belted magnums based on the .375 H&H case (which includes the .264), so powder capacity is considerably greater.

The rim is rebated to .532, so a standard belted magnum bolt face requires no alteration. If you’re thinking like me, yes, that means a .264 Winchester Magnum can be rechambered to the new cartridge. It will be overbore capacity, as the .264 is, which means propellant selection for optimum performance is limited, and it’s unlikely that barrel life will be extensive. On the other hand, we have more and better powders today than we did back in the 1960s. We may also have better barrels, but let’s face it: You aren’t going to gain an honest 300 fps without any tradeoff. Like the .264 and, realistically, any of the full-length RUMs, you really need a 26-inch tube to get full velocity, which probably accounts for the velocity bonus I experienced.

Meet the .26 There must have been some interesting discussions regarding the naming of the cartridge. It is the first cartridge to bear the Nosler name, so both the company and the family are excited about it. Using 6.5mm/.264-caliber bullets, the “26” is nominally correct, but the use of just two digits is unusual today. Obviously, they wanted to avoid potential confusion with the .260 Remington and .264 Winchester Magnum, and just perhaps they wanted to avoid using the “6.5mm” designation. Although cartridges such as the 6.5/.284 and 6.5mm Creedmoor have done very well in competitive circles, the 6.5mm has not achieved the popularity in the United States that it has in Europe. Over there, the old 6.5×55 Swedish Mauser is a standard, and, although almost unknown over here, their unbelted 6.5×68 remains popular. It is actually faster than our .264, but it isn’t as fast as the .26 Nosler. The new cartridge, however, is still a 6.5mm, but perhaps it will be the 6.5mm cartridge that at long last breaks the curse.

It was November 2013 when I got my hands on one of the first .26 Nosler rifles and a batch of ammo. The boxes were Nosler Trophy Grade, which is consistently good ammo, but at this stage the project was still in final experimentation, so this was handloaded ammo, and although cases were headstamped “Nosler,” they still read “7mm Rem. Ultra Mag.”

The only load was 140-grain Nosler AccuBond, which is a good bullet and a fine choice, but opportunities to make comparisons were limited. In trying to find niches for their relatively new lines of loaded ammo, Nosler has done some interesting things. These have included the first factory loads for the .280 Ackley Improved and also an extensive array of loads for the long-neglected .264. In my own .264, I actually shifted to 129-grain Hornady and 130-grain Nosler bullets so I could get a bit more velocity. A 130-grain load for the .26 should wring out an extra 100 fps, but for larger game the case should still propel the 160-grain slug at an extremely meaningful velocity.

Flat, really flat Additional bullet weights lay in the future; for now, let’s focus on that 140-grain load. The reason I went back to the .264 after so many years is that, although actual velocity isn’t much faster than the .270 Winchester (and not as fast as the .270 WSM or .270 Weatherby Magnum), the better aerodynamics of the 6.5mm bullet gives it awesome downrange performance. Add 300 fps and retain the carrying abilities of the 140-grain 6.5mm bullet, and you have something very interesting going on.

Fullscreen
Nosler M48 Trophy Grade Rifle ReviewPicture 1 of 12 Next Up: Most Beautiful Handgun Ever
Click Here to View the Next Gallery
6 http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/09/14/most-beautiful-handgun-ever/ . .As a hunter, I certainly don’t seek long-range opportunities — in fact, I avoid them if possible — but I try to be prepared for whatever comes along. Here’s my dilemma: I know that my most common errors lie in shooting too high. If I sight in for a longer range, such as 300 yards, I’m in better shape for a 400-yard shot, but with most cartridges the rise in midrange trajectory means that on a faster, closer shot that I don’t want to stop and think about (but just sit down and take), I must consciously hold a bit low. I know I have trouble doing this, so my normal preference is to zero for 200 yards, then use additional stadia lines in the reticle for longer shots.

The .26 Nosler changes the game, without the recoil of the fastest .30 calibers. At the rated 3,375 fps, for a 300-yard zero all you need to do is sight 2.6 inches high at 100 yards. You are only 3.2 inches high at 200 yards, which I can live with, and, good God, you’re only 7.7 inches low at 400 yards. A hold slightly high on the shoulder will work just fine. Beyond that, hey, everything starts to drop, but if you run the .26 Nosler on a computer it’s amazing how well it holds up at long range.

The plan, the rifle, the scope The .26 Nosler was quietly unveiled at InterMedia’s August 2013 editorial roundtable. My mind instantly started racing. It would be great for pronghorn and open-country deer (as the .264 is), but I saw it as an awesome mountain hunting cartridge. Sheep and goats just aren’t that big; caliber and bullet weight are plenty adequate, and the 6.5mm bullets hold up as well as anything in the wind, especially if you can add velocity and reduce flight time. I thought ahead, and I had an ibex hunt planned in eastern Turkey for November. All mountain hunts are special, but this was to be my 30th variety of wild goat, a major milestone, and from past experience I knew the Turkish mountains to be steep and treacherous. I thought this hot new cartridge would be just the ticket … if they could get me a rifle and ammo in time.

In fact they did, with a few weeks to spare. The rifle was their Nosler M48 Trophy Grade, one I admit I had no previous experience with. It is a very normal push-feed bolt action with two Mauser-style locking lugs, a two-position safety with the bolt handle locked in the Safe position and housed in a good synthetic stock with a fairly stiff 26-inch barrel with a 1:9-inch twist. This particular rifle had a left-hand action, which both surprised and delighted me. The M48 uses common Model 700 mounts, and I was able to easily find some Weaver mounts. I topped the rifle with one of my favorite mountain hunting scopes, a one-inch-tube Zeiss Conquest in 4.5-14x44mm, not too heavy but with plenty of power, featuring the Rapid-Z 800 reticle.

There is actually nothing fancy or unusual about the Nosler M48, but it is clearly well put together from good components, a no-nonsense hunting rifle just like the Nosler ads purport. Accuracy was very good, but not awesome, with my groups generally staying just under an inch and occasionally better, but never worse. This is just fine for one of the first rifles in a new cartridge with still-experimental ammo.

I gave serious thought to a 300-yard zero, but I defaulted to my comfort zone, sighting in just two-thirds-inch high at 100 yards for a 200-yard zero (wow!), and I ran the Zeiss Ballistics Calculator for the actual velocity in the rifle I was using (3,425 fps). I didn’t expect to be shooting at extreme range, but when holdover is needed I’ve learned it is better to use the stadia lines than go by “Kentucky elevation.”

In the field The hunt was with my old friend Kaan Karakaya’s Turkish-based Shikar-Safaris
(shikarsafaris.com) and would be in eastern Turkey near the Syrian border. Somewhere along the way, the ibex in that area mixed with domestic goats, and in the way of we crazy mountain hunters, we consider them “hybrid ibex.” The influence varies; some show quite a different color from Turkey’s native Persian ibex or Bezoar goats, and horns average shorter, but their tell-tale aspect is an outward flare at the horn tips. If your intent is to take one of these animals, that’s what you’re looking for.

The mountains were exactly what I expected: wide-open, windy, steep, rocky and very cold up on top. The rut hadn’t quite kicked off, so we saw quite a few females in the brushline lower down, but the males were expected to be higher and probably in groups. Oh, yeah, were they ever! We were watching a small group on a ridge, still at 700 yards, while our local game guard dropped down to a rocky point below us to look into the next valley. I saw him duck down and retreat, then gesture wildly.

We went down to him, skirting a small group of ibex on the next ridge. I thought it was these that he was looking at, not knowing that in the roll of terrain we’d already seen them. Not quite. We crept up to a rock pile, peered over, and the slope below us was crowded with ibex, at least 250, all males, some feeding, others bedded. They stretched from just 60 yards below us to well down the slope. Guide Cele` was with me — we’ve hunted together before — and he was trying desperately to pick out one of the mass as, inevitably, they smelled a rat and began to move.

We got lucky. As they drifted left, a very big ibex came into the clear on the right-hand side of the herd. The shot was 200 yards, which was not much of a test for this new flat-shooting cartridge, but it was such a situation and such an animal that it couldn’t be passed up. In body, he was a monster, and his horns, which looked big, were even bigger than we thought. He is the second-largest of this type of ibex known to have been taken — not a bad beginning for this cartridge

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/new-26-nosler-nosler-m48-trophy-grade-rifle-review/#ixzz2vVO9Rrul

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington.. [Re: Ripp]
      #244433 - 26/03/14 12:40 PM

I wonder what sort of barrel-life the round has? A French gunsmith created a similarly fast round called the 6.5mm Messner Magnum based on the 9.3x64 case, and I have read reports about it burning barrels out very fast. Just speculating here . . .

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington.. [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #244437 - 26/03/14 03:24 PM

In an article I read recently, was told some high speed rounds notice a reduction in accuracy at 800-1000 rounds...not sure that this would be true in this case as its NOT 220 Swift fast..

Personally feel there is no free lunch...but the beauty of this is they make all kinds of barrels..and really, dont know how many big game guns I have 1000 rounds through..with the exception of a .243 and my 300 RUM...

Ripp

--------------------

Ruger_450
Banned

Reged: 10/03/13
Loc: WY & FL
      #244470 - 27/03/14 04:33 AM

Craig is a nice guy and has served his country for decades (USMC), but he is also a gun writer being paid to write about what is new and wonderful.

It's probably a decent cartridge but w/o a Nirtided barrel by the time you work up loads the barrel will be fried.

It serves no need not already met by a slew of other rounds available to the ethical hunter, and coming from Nosler, the brass and ammo will cost a lot.

It will be around for a while like the 30TC, 7 & 300 SAUMs, 270 & 7 WSMs, 6.5 and 350 Reminton etc but, like them will fade away.

Fun to read about but, the nice SAKO FN action I just bought around the campfire, is going to become a 270 WCF w/a 26" medium sporter barrel.

Like all gun loonies I own some orphans and oddballs to play with but, when it comes to going afield, the 270, 300H&H or WinMag and 375 H&H will cover my waterfront.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington.. [Re: Ruger_450]
      #244505 - 28/03/14 01:01 AM

Really??? you are going to fry the barrel by the time you work up a load??
sounds like the same bs that was said about the 264W when it first come out..all of which proved to be untrue..I have personally been using a 264 W for the past 5 years..shoot it all the time..no issues...

Each to their own, but I like new, old or whatever...and like to tinker with them as well...

Agree with you caliber choices albeit the 270WSM..but again, each to their own..

As to Craig, he is a writer, and also a personal acquaintance..he does write about the new items as that is part of their job...but also know he is a huge fan of the 6.5 caliber rounds including the 264W....have no doubt he will be a fan of this as well...just as he is of the 270WSM..which he has stated in the past is his favorite WSM round...but the 6.5 is ballistically superior to the 270 round when comparing apples to apples.

As to price, my experience with Nosler is they typically make a very well made product..which I am happy to pay for..

Ripp

Edited by Ripp (28/03/14 01:52 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #244515 - 28/03/14 04:09 AM

I do not know anything about this new 6.5, however do know or surmise that a lot of the wearing out of barrels in the past was due to improper cleaning - not wear. Most with a buildup of carbon ahead of and in the throat and the more powder you burn, the greater is the deposit of carbon. If not cleaned out often, the bullets constantly running over the carbon fouling turn it into a ceramic-hard deposit that cannot be removed and yo can hardly touch it with a carbide scribe.
This tightening of the bore near the breech did indeed give the appearance of a shot-our barrel. It was smooth looking and would extent well up the bore. As the carbon become one with the bore and got thicker/tighter, the bullets wold be squeezed down smaller than the rest of the groove diameter and groups would continually increase at an alarming rate, sometimes after as few as 500 rounds. I think that's where the 'worn out before you find a load' saying came from. This is, in my opinion, of course.

Too, many of the old Swifts were simply fouled out, not worn out. People did not know about proper cleaning. Unlike them, we know a patch with 30 WGT motor oil is NOT cleaning. I know of guys on another forum who have resurrected old "Worn-Out Swifts" - purchased at a 'steal' and after days of soaking with solvents and scrubbing - turned them into sub 1/2" shooters again.

With today's better solvents and greater knowledge on cleaning, along with the use of bore scopes to check progress, much of the 'bore wear' of old has been reduced - again, in my most humble opinion.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington.. [Re: DarylS]
      #244524 - 28/03/14 08:09 AM

Daryl

Thanks for the info, I have read and been told the same thing, many were simply not cleaned properly or damage while cleaning..

thx

Ripp

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #244532 - 28/03/14 11:14 AM

There is also the new school of thought, well - maybe not that new, that barrel life has a lot to do with powder burn rate. Cartridges like the 6mm Competition Match and the 6.5 SAUM are proving long barrel life by using lots of slower burning powder such as H1000 with a long barrel. Doing this is supposed to yield cooler burning by spreading out the process through more of the barrel so the heat isn't as concentrated at the throat. I don't know if the 26 Nosler uses this approach, the way to tell is how short they make the barrel as you need more length to let all of the powder burn. Anyway, I been researching this a little bit following he GA Precision work on the 6.5 SAUM as well as looking into the 6mm CM. my next project is likely to be a .243 30deg which is very similar the the 6mm CM.

Ruger_450
Banned

Reged: 10/03/13
Loc: WY & FL
Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington.. [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #244536 - 28/03/14 12:07 PM

All things being equal an overbore cartridge will wear out the throat faster than its more conservative cousins.

You are correct about "cooler" slowing burning powders. I use Retumbo and Reloader33 in my 338 RUM with a 36" barrel. I am edging 3000 fps with 300 Bergers and will easily surpass it with Scott Null's new 1.0 BC lighter bullets.

It is a 3 groove Nitrided barrel which is so hard and so smooth cleaning is almost obsolete. Shoots 5 shot 1/3 MOA groups to 500, the far most tested on paper. Rings a 12" gong at 1000 with boring regularity.

Scott was telling me of one customer with a custom AR 223, 3 groove, Nitrided bbl who just past 600 rounds with no barrel cleaning. Shot bugholes when new, still does.

How far do you wish to shoot ? "Like no place else on earth."

5 Bergers @400

Ripp
.577 member

#248396 - 03/06/14 05:51 PM

Quote:

There is also the new school of thought, well - maybe not that new, that barrel life has a lot to do with powder burn rate. Cartridges like the 6mm Competition Match and the 6.5 SAUM are proving long barrel life by using lots of slower burning powder such as H1000 with a long barrel. Doing this is supposed to yield cooler burning by spreading out the process through more of the barrel so the heat isn't as concentrated at the throat. I don't know if the 26 Nosler uses this approach, the way to tell is how short they make the barrel as you need more length to let all of the powder burn. Anyway, I been researching this a little bit following he GA Precision work on the 6.5 SAUM as well as looking into the 6mm CM. my next project is likely to be a .243 30deg which is very similar the the 6mm CM.

I recently took my HS Precision to their factory and had it bore scoped..was interesting to see ..the barrel was really clean with the exception of about a 3 inch section just ahead of where the bullet left the case and the majority of the powder was burning behind the bullet..we spend about 2 hours trying to get the buildup out of there..

Talked to one of the workers there who stated basically this is very common on Ultra's or many that are very overbore with big powder charges behind them..I suspect the 26 Nosler will be very similar..and they are coming with 26" barrels..

Talked to Nosler yesterday for a bit on the phone about what powders they were suggesting for the 26Nosler for reloading..H1000, Retumbo were a couple mentioned..however the tech stated he felt Nosler would be releasing reload info shortly --before the end of this current month...

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#249675 - 29/06/14 07:45 AM

Here is the info Nosler put up for loads..
Plan to cook some up in the next week or so...
curious to chrono them to see how legit this is...

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (29/06/14 07:51 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#249707 - 30/06/14 02:44 AM

That is a straight sided round. If the head is the same diameter as the rim, then the case has only .003" taper per side. An Ackley Improved case has a .0075" to .008" taper, normally, taking printed case dimensions of .469" and .454".

.003" taper is even less than my custom bored .375/06 IMP - at .005" taper(.470" - .460").

That .528" shoulder and 35degree shoulder angle is amazing.

What wonderful .338's through .416's it would make, or even a .458.(there are already too many 7mm's and .30's out there)

--------------------
Daryl

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #249731 - 30/06/14 10:22 AM

Just ordered one from Carolina Precision Riflles.

Ruger#3 donor action
27 inch hart SS match barrel
NECG barrel band front sight, with moon sight and folding hood
Barrel band sling swivel
Rear quarter rib with folding v
MPI sporter stock 14.4 LOP brown
Ceramcoat in black

Should be the perfect goat, sheep, coes deer, bushbuck rifle for longer range.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Ripp
.577 member

#249752 - 30/06/14 10:10 PM

Quote:

That is a straight sided round. If the head is the same diameter as the rim, then the case has only .003" taper per side. An Ackley Improved case has a .0075" to .008" taper, normally, taking printed case dimensions of .469" and .454".

.003" taper is even less than my custom bored .375/06 IMP - at .005" taper(.470" - .460").

That .528" shoulder and 35degree shoulder angle is amazing.

What wonderful .338's through .416's it would make, or even a .458.(there are already too many 7mm's and .30's out there)

Thinking a .416 would be an awesome round..wonder what how much velocity one would get on this with a 350 and 400 gr round??

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 26 Nosler---per Craig Boddington.. [Re: Rell]
      #249755 - 30/06/14 10:23 PM

Quote:

Just ordered one from Carolina Precision Riflles.

Ruger#3 donor action
27 inch hart SS match barrel
NECG barrel band front sight, with moon sight and folding hood
Barrel band sling swivel
Rear quarter rib with folding v
MPI sporter stock 14.4 LOP brown
Ceramcoat in black

Should be the perfect goat, sheep, coes deer, bushbuck rifle for longer range.

Think with the possible velocities of this round bullet selection will be a concern..close range shots--100 yards or less will hammer a accubond IMHO..I plan to use Triple shocks and/or Scirocco's ..

Actually got 2 boxes of factory ammo mailed to me last week..plan to use them for barrel break-in and getting the scope sighted in somewhat...

Agree--think this is hammer anything from Elk on down...have used the .264 W Mag. for a few years..great caliber ..this should be the similar...

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#249765 - 01/07/14 01:02 AM

In a .416, according to the measurements, I'd expect the ballistics to match or exceed the .416 Remington when loaded to the same pressure levels, much more easily than the .416 Taylor. The case capacity would appear to be about the same or a bit higher.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#249770 - 01/07/14 03:31 AM

Quote:

In a .416, according to the measurements, I'd expect the ballistics to match or exceed the .416 Remington when loaded to the same pressure levels, much more easily than the .416 Taylor. The case capacity would appear to be about the same or a bit higher.

Makes sense as this round's original parent was the .404 Jeffery necked to the Ultra-mag line..

I was told when I was at the long range school a few weeks back that Nosler has an "entire line" of Nosler cartridges on the drawing board...no one is really sure what if any will come after the 26 Nosler...

Not that we don't have enough already to confuse everyone..

But they have to keep selling product..I guess..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#249776 - 01/07/14 04:06 AM

Quote:

I do not know anything about this new 6.5, however do know or surmise that a lot of the wearing out of barrels in the past was due to improper cleaning - not wear. Most with a buildup of carbon ahead of and in the throat and the more powder you burn, the greater is the deposit of carbon. If not cleaned out often, the bullets constantly running over the carbon fouling turn it into a ceramic-hard deposit that cannot be removed and yo can hardly touch it with a carbide scribe.
This tightening of the bore near the breech did indeed give the appearance of a shot-our barrel. It was smooth looking and would extent well up the bore. As the carbon become one with the bore and got thicker/tighter, the bullets wold be squeezed down smaller than the rest of the groove diameter and groups would continually increase at an alarming rate, sometimes after as few as 500 rounds. I think that's where the 'worn out before you find a load' saying came from. This is, in my opinion, of course.

Too, many of the old Swifts were simply fouled out, not worn out. People did not know about proper cleaning. Unlike them, we know a patch with 30 WGT motor oil is NOT cleaning. I know of guys on another forum who have resurrected old "Worn-Out Swifts" - purchased at a 'steal' and after days of soaking with solvents and scrubbing - turned them into sub 1/2" shooters again.

With today's better solvents and greater knowledge on cleaning, along with the use of bore scopes to check progress, much of the 'bore wear' of old has been reduced - again, in my most humble opinion.

Daryl,

Just read an article last night about the .220 Swift..and how a guy talked about bore scopes and the amount of money it would have saved him in barrels had he had one years ago..discussed how everyone had him convinced the 220 would take out a barrel in less than 1000 rounds..more like 6-800..one day he cam across a p-dog town and starting an afternoon of shooting..mid-day he noticed his rifle was off, thought he had bumped his scope, whatever..he put up a target on the side of an old building and fired a series of shots..was shooting about a 4" group at 100..thinking he had shot out his barrel he called his gunsmith and had him order up a new barrel, again in 26" length..

After installing the new barrel he had his gunsmith cut open the barrel to see what the "shot out" barrel looked like..what they found was it was NOT shot out, but had a large deposit of copper in the throat area and just beyond ..had they known that and had the products we have today, would have saved whatever a new a barrel cost back in the 60's...and a lot of misinformation about the .220Swift and others like it...

Wonder how many bit the dust over the years for that exact same reason???

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#249783 - 01/07/14 07:57 AM

1,000's

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#250239 - 09/07/14 10:47 PM

26Nosler---264 Win Mag---- 6.5/284..comparsion

Side view of the 26 Nosler....

Shooting report to follow..

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (09/07/14 11:44 PM)

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#250319 - 12/07/14 05:49 AM

Ripp,

I'm interested to see how it shoots for you. They are packing a lot of powder behind the bullet.

I'll be trying out the 6.5 SAUM later this year, in comparison it runs about 200fps slower due to leaving peak velocity on the table to keep pressures low. I just need to get the barrel on order for my DTA.

DarylS
.700 member

#250361 - 13/07/14 02:08 AM

Ripp - what is the case capacity compared to, say a 6.5x300WTBY?

Due to the base being .532" (same diameter as a standard mag's belt) - with minimum taper, but still about .2" shorter than the .300 WTBY case, perhaps the capacities are about the same - or not enough higher to give much more performance. The .26 Nosler does have a shorter neck which will increase case capacity as well.

With ctgs. of this size, it usually takes a LARGE change to make any tangible increase in speed- at the expense of quite dramatically increased powder charge.

Get a good carbon cleaner, BTW. Some guys use GM upper cylinder cleaner - there are others, of course. I'm currently using a Kleen Flo choke and carb cleaner which seems to do a good job in my little .17's and .222 - which are much less carbon builders than about anything else.

--------------------
Daryl

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#250371 - 13/07/14 10:42 AM

Ammoguide lists the 26 Nosler as having a case capacity of 96.4gr of water. I wonder if anyone has necked the 300 Norma down to 6.5?

DarylS
.700 member

#250395 - 14/07/14 02:33 AM

TKS SharpsNitro - Donnely lists 6.5x300 WinMag as 93.24gr. cap. and the 6.5x300 WTBY as 96.21gr. water cap.
The 6.5 Crister Express, listed as .300 H&H. blown out with shorter neck and 43.6 degree shoulder is listed as 101.84gr.
I suspect ALL of these will produce just about identical velocities with the .26 Nosler.

The best aspect of the Nosler is that is does not have the useless belt. All belts do in rounds that do not need them, is to induce carelessness in hand loading, resulting in early case head separations. Relying on a belt to do your work will kill your brass almost as quickly as throwing it away.

The 6.5x68S (Schuler) has about identical capacity as would the 6.5/.308Norma have - right at of very close to 85gr.

The .264 Win. Mag. is listed as 81.51gr.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#250400 - 14/07/14 03:40 AM

Quote:

TKS SharpsNitro - Donnely lists 6.5x300 WinMag as 93.24gr. cap. and the 6.5x300 WTBY as 96.21gr. water cap.
The 6.5 Crister Express, listed as .300 H&H. blown out with shorter neck and 43.6 degree shoulder is listed as 101.84gr.
I suspect ALL of these will produce just about identical velocities with the .26 Nosler.

The best aspect of the Nosler is that is does not have the useless belt. All belts do in rounds that do not need them, is to induce carelessness in hand loading, resulting in early case head separations. Relying on a belt to do your work will kill your brass almost as quickly as throwing it away.

The 6.5x68S (Schuler) has about identical capacity as would the 6.5/.308Norma have - right at of very close to 85gr.

The .264 Win. Mag. is listed as 81.51gr.

Sorry I havnt responded sooner --been off line for the last day or two enjoying the family and doing a bit of JJ in the mornings..

Ironic that you asked about the 6.5/300 Weatherby ..my first trip to Alaska I took along a 7/300 Weatherby loaded with 150gr Scirroco's for a caribou/wolf hunt...amazingly fast and accurate..

Also remember that Layne Simpson who introduced the 7STW has also necked down the 7 to a 6.5 as well..the articles I had read at that time, people were having problems with accuracy..

Agree, Daryl, will have to keep an eye on the cleaning issue with all that powder..picked up some new product when I was at the Shooting School a few weeks back..plan to use that for a bit and see how it works..

Also agree with the no belt issue..one of the main reasons I was drawn initially to the RUM class of cartridges..that an I like speed... at least for some applications..

Will advise as soon as I get out and am able to get some shots into the target..got it scoped and set to go..

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12769

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com