Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brenneke 2 1/2" (65mm) 16 ga "Classic" Slugs - Hunt Report

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Brenneke 2 1/2" (65mm) 16 ga "Classic" Slugs - Hunt Report
      #243537 - 09/03/14 06:04 AM

Gentlemen,

Many of you know that Brenneke (Germany) had an issue with getting components to their US assembly facility in time to introduce the new slugs to the market prior to our many fall and winter hunting seasons. Given their late arrival few have had an opportunity to use them and many still have not been able to acquire them from their dealers. Things have gone a little different for me in that Brenneke USA had sent a number of boxes to me as a gift for helping them with their effort. With that and feeling somewhat obligated to show that these slugs would perform in the field as Wilhelm Brenneke had intended back in 1898, when he first developed the slug, I booked a hunt for a Russian boar starting on March 6th. The plan was to park a slug in the left shot tube of a conventional drilling and harvest a boar should one pass within 50 yards. The following pictures show how the slugs performed in accuracy on a target and the outcome of my hunt. I want to note some details as you’re viewing the pictures: First, my outfitter’s practice target was closer to 40 yards than 50. Second, both the target and boar were shot with the drilling having its Leupold VX-II 4X scope in mount. Third, I had a second slug parked in the right tube as well just in case things got out of hand and a “point blank” was necessary. I wasn’t all that concerned but my guide smiled at the possibility. The weather was perfect (for me) with a sunny sky and mid-day temperature of around 20 deg/F, though the wind was gusting 15 to 20 mph. The snow cover was a good two feet on average. The boar shown was the fourth in a group of four that we came upon walking parallel to us and coming towards us roughly fifty yards out. We spotted them at what appeared to be the same time that they had spotted us. At that moment they took off running from left to right. The first three managed to dart into thick cover in the short time it took me to shoulder the gun. The unlucky forth boar decided to stop short, likely to see what all the fuss was about. Though he was in relatively thick cover I was able to crouch down a bit and find an opening for the shot. The shot was a pass through thus I was not able to recover the slug.

Gun: Richard Knopf 16 ga / 8X57JRS drilling – March, 1944
Ammunition: Brenneke 65mm 16ga “Classic” Slug and Sellier & Bellot 8X57JRS SPCE 196gr

Target Details: The three groups of two were shot with the rifle (front trigger) first then the left shot tube (rear trigger). We (my guide and I) at first didn't see that the second rifle shot had gone through the first hole which is why the two targets. The distance from the center of the target to the center of the furthest slug hole is just under 1 3/4".

Summary: The new slugs work just fine.

Mark

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

Edited by CptCurl (21/04/14 09:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Brenneke 2 1/2" (65mm) 16 ga "Classic" Slugs - Hunt Report [Re: Buchsemann]
      #243540 - 09/03/14 06:52 AM

Waidmannsheil!

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Brenneke 2 1/2" (65mm) 16 ga "Classic" Slugs - Hunt Report [Re: kuduae]
      #243541 - 09/03/14 07:55 AM

Good!

What is the choke of the barrel used?

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Buchsemann
.333 member

Re: Brenneke 2 1/2" (65mm) 16 ga "Classic" Slugs - Hunt Report [Re: tinker]
      #243545 - 09/03/14 09:48 AM

Tinker,

The bore diameters at the muzzle of the shot barrels on the drilling used for the subject hunt measure .635" left (between full and extra full) and .645" (between full and modified). They still ring like a bell after shooting a couple boxes of slugs through the left tube.

Mark

--------------------

- John Dryden

tinker
.416 member

#243547 - 09/03/14 11:14 AM

Oh yes I'm sure a good gun will still be good after the Brenneke.
Just interested to see how much choke you had run them through if any.

Thanks for the field report!
On availability - are you noting that these are not yet on the suppliers' shelves?

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #243549 - 09/03/14 12:24 PM

Wonderful!!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Buchsemann
.333 member

Re: Brenneke 2 1/2" (65mm) 16 ga "Classic" Slugs - Hunt Report [Re: DarylS]
      #243553 - 09/03/14 02:02 PM

Per a gentleman on DG's forum today: "Ellet Brothers only has 40 boxes left after others and myself got our orders".

I sent a report to Brenneke USA's manufacturing rep earlier today as well noting that I have been reading of the difficulties others have been having trying to get a hold of the new cartridges and asked if there have been any production issues. I'll provide an update as soon as I hear back from them. Apparently Ellett Brothers has ordered 300 boxes with currently 260 already spoken for. Being Brenneke USA's largest distributor Ellett Brothers had been the first to receive the new product from the factory but there was a miss-labeling (part ID I believe) issue that wasn't going to work with EB's inventory system so the product was returned and re-boxed. It's been a rough introduction of new product for sure.

--------------------

- John Dryden

tinker
.416 member

#243555 - 09/03/14 06:10 PM

Thanks

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #243557 - 09/03/14 07:14 PM

Great stuff best

Buchsemann
.333 member

Re: Brenneke 2 1/2" (65mm) 16 ga "Classic" Slugs - Hunt Report [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #243602 - 11/03/14 05:10 AM

Waidmannsdank gentlemen,

Something of special note and that which I found to be a welcome confirmation was how well the left shot barrel grouped the slugs with relation to the rifle barrel. You may remember seeing this note from Kuduae (Axel) in another thread:

"... so a really good gun maker regulates a drilling this way: 1- the shot barrels have to shoot into a usable left-right shot pattern over the open top rib. 2- the rifle barrel and the left shot barrel should shoot both the bullet and the slug to the same poi at slug range, up to 50 meters, over the automatic open sight."

Though the practice targets shown where shot at closer to 40 yards than 50 the grouping was only a tad tighter than that of my 50 yard target days earlier. What is key to these results is to hold the drilling as we do our double rifles when shooting off a bench. In other words as you would off-hand but resting the back of your forend hand on whatever rest you're using. I'll be checking to see if my other drillings do the same.

Regards,

Mark

--------------------

- John Dryden

Buchsemann
.333 member

#243607 - 11/03/14 09:51 AM

Tinker ... and others interested,

My Brenneke USA contact sent this product availability update to me a little while ago:

"We have inventory of the slug in our warehouse in Allentown.

Green Supply and Baumler are distributors who have them right now.

Jerry's, Outdoor Sports, Simmons, Ellett Brothers will have them in the next few weeks."

Regards,

Mark

--------------------

- John Dryden

Edited by CptCurl (21/04/14 09:54 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4734

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com