Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: You Pay to Learn

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
You Pay to Learn
      #241898 - 07/02/14 07:46 AM

There's a chance that everybody knows this but me in which case I'm making a bit of a fool of myself but just in case it saves someone the problem I had, here goes....

I had a bad experience on Saturday. I was on the range with my Lee Speed in 375 X 2½ and was giving a young member a chance to fire it. He worked the bolt and didn't quite close it fully. When he pulled the trigger there was a click and nothing else. I told him to put the gun down and let me sort it out. I tapped the bolt fully down with the heel of my palm without cocking it first and the gun fired. It wasn't supported in anyway and so it recoiled backwards off the bench and hit the floor. Fortunately we'd done everything else right so the bullet went down range quite safely but the fall broke a piece clear off the toe of the stock and bent the steel butt plate.

As you can imagine I was mortified, I'd embarrassed myself, scared the crap out of a new member and damaged a valuable gun. I took the rifle to a gunsmith yesterday. He has a good reputation and has done a minor job for me before. I carefully explained what had happened and I'd had the foresight to take some fired cases with me so I could demonstrate. He confirmed, if you don't fully seat the bolt and the striker drops, tapping the bolt into place with your palm will fire the gun as the Lee Speed action leaves the firing pin forward, resting against the primer, under these circumstances.

Fortunately the gun can be repaired but I wish I'd have known about this before I made the mistake.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: You Pay to Learn [Re: Oldbrit]
      #241902 - 07/02/14 08:49 AM

Too bad you hadn't merely opened the bolt all the way. That way, it would not have fired - I think.

Similar scenario happened to me some time ago with a Mauser that had a binding side safety - cinched down & pulling the trigger resulted in 1/2 a click. Loosening off the guard screws 1/8th turn would allow the pin to drop and fire the rifle. Lifting the bolt first to straight up position, prevented the rifle from being able to be fired. I"m not sure that would prevent the lee from firing (cock on closing action), but do think it might.

One could test that with an empty chamber- just to make sure and be prepared it this every happens again.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: You Pay to Learn [Re: DarylS]
      #241920 - 07/02/14 02:18 PM

Everyone makes mistakes. A key with firearms is the old, make sure the barrel is pointing in a safe direction especially if there is a round in the chamber.

I learned never to try to move the hammer to half cock on a rifle while walking or running after game. ie hold the hammer, pull the trigger lightly to allow the hammer to drop to the 'safe' half cock position. Easy when still but easy to fire off the rifle if jogging after game. Again my rifle was angled well up into the sky so the bullet went off safely. But got a bad reception from the other hunters in front of me who jumped in fright. Everyone makes mistakes. Good to make sure they are made safely though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: You Pay to Learn [Re: NitroX]
      #241932 - 07/02/14 04:14 PM

As John said, everyone does make mistakes, and fortunately most are done safely. Sure shows where the lessons/basics from the experienced people pay off. Some things you just dont expect (your Speed, for example).

Seems most times you go to the range if theres someone new to handgun shooting they'll be getting a very firm telling off by someone during the day about muzzle direction also.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2989

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com