Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: John Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
John Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle
      #241747 - 05/02/14 04:59 AM

John Rigby & Co collaborates with Mauser once again to create a new iconic firearm – The Big Game Rifle

After months of speculation, London gunmaker John Rigby & Co. has finally unveiled its latest creation, a bolt action rifle appropriately named ‘The Big Game’.

As one of the oldest gunmakers in the world, the cult brand recently enjoyed a renaissance after joining forces with its old German ally, Mauser. Much to the delight of firearms enthusiasts, history has repeated itself, as this is the first time since before World War I that these manufacturing titans have collaborated on a project.

‘The Big Game’ is built on the Magnum Mauser action, which is based on the classic model 98 design. Many aspects of the original, including the much admired and copied extractor and three position flag safety, have been retained.The actions and barrels are supplied by Mauser then hand-finished by master cartsmen at the Rigby workshop in London. The guns are proofed in London and will carry the London proof mark as they did 100 years ago.

Available in a Single or Double Square Bridge version, ‘The Big Game’ offers professional and recreational hunters a more moderately priced alternative to the brand’s ‘London Best’ custom rifles. The Single Square Bridge model is the professional hunter’s rifle of choice. Available in .416” and .450” Rigby calibres, this edition is designed for use with express sights only. The action is fitted with the classic three-position flag safety and 22” barrel. Overall weight, unloaded, is 10lb 8oz, stock length 141/2” including a rubber recoil pad.

The Double Square Bridge model is produced in .375” H&H and .416” Rigby calibres and with a 24” lightweight barrel this rifle is ideally suited for use with a telescopic sight. The Winchester style safety is in the horizontal position to facilitate the fitting of a variety of mounting systems on the machined bridges. Weight of the rifle unloaded is 10lb and stock length 14½” including red rubber recoil pad.

These stunning rifles boasts classic Rigby design features including robust, ergonomic stock shape with higher comb for better fit and absorption of recoil, plasma nitride finish to all metal surfaces resulting in a resilient, anti-glare and rust-resistant finish, Rigby express sights dovetailed directly onto the rib with a single fixed V and 2 folding leaves zeroed at 65, 150 and 250 yards and Rigby pattern magazine floor plate that allows the .416 rifles to hold four rounds in the magazine and another in the chamber. With hand engraved finishing touches, case hardened recoil bars and heat-blued extractor, this exceptional value rifle is a landmark in modern sporting firearms manufacturing.

Price: From UK £7,787 / US $13,558 / €9,270 inc VAT and Grade 5 wood.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #241752 - 05/02/14 06:31 AM

Can't say that I approve of the stock. Not at all graceful in the Rigby tradition.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: dons]
      #241754 - 05/02/14 06:53 AM

No more than the modern magnum Mauser built on a Prechtl Golmatic action they sell from ten years.
Same action, modern sights, laser engraving...and alas same stock and checkering !
It seems they have never seen or held a true Rigby from the glory days.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: dons]
      #241755 - 05/02/14 07:01 AM

Well Dons, if you don't like that piece of kit matey then buy one for the hell of it & send it through to me - I've already made room in the gunsafe for it.
93x64mm

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: 93x64mm]
      #241772 - 05/02/14 09:23 AM

IMO you DORLEAC build very fine rifles but I´m suprised at you never have anything positive to say about yours rival endeavours. Someone could say that as a french arrogance but I do not say so because I heve worked with yours countrymen and it was very nice experience. For me yours pictures and texts could be more believeable if you could give at least some more positive comments...

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Igorrock]
      #241773 - 05/02/14 09:37 AM

Quote:

No more than the modern magnum Mauser built on a Prechtl Golmatic action they sell from ten years.
Same action, modern sights, laser engraving...and alas same stock and checkering !
It seems they have never seen or held a true Rigby from the glory days.

I agree.

They say the measurements were taken from an original pre-war 416 but it doesn't look right to my eye.
I see mention of a "stock shape with higher comb for better fit and absorption of recoil". Not sure I follow that.
The 22" barrel looks stubby and the fit of the barrel band sling mount on the open sight gun is terrible.

Give me a Dorleac over this any day!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Huvius]
      #241774 - 05/02/14 10:21 AM

The use of a quarter rib on a bolt action escapes me. Much less the fact that the pistol grip is too closed a radius for those with longer hands.

FWIW we get better from some local smiths as Ozhunter's photos attest.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: kamilaroi]
      #241779 - 05/02/14 12:14 PM

Oh so many picky people!

I would have one in a flash all I need is a cash injection!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

metal
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/13
Loc: Australia
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: gryphon]
      #241785 - 05/02/14 03:13 PM

I think it is great to see Rigby & Mauser back again. Keeping in mind these are "working rifles" I would still expect proper point pattern checkering and not just infill rubbish, sadly a lot of high end guns & rifles fall down in this area.

DORLEAC
.333 member

Reged: 22/01/12
Loc: Perpignan, France
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Igorrock]
      #241796 - 05/02/14 07:14 PM

Igorrock,

I'm sorry if you have misunderstood my comment.
It is not French arrogance, but disappointment. I know very well the newly made 98' Mauser magnum rifles and even the team of gunsmiths that assembles them and I'm a fan - and a friend customer- of Gottfried Prechtl who pioneered the European modern made Mauser clones, but I was naïve in thinking that the Blaser-Sauer-Mauser group, having all the good cards in hand will produce a true modernized Rigby.
I regret that they settle for a slightly revamped Mauser magnum, using the same stock shape, shortened barrel and a front sight block that uses the spring and Allen screw adjustable bead tof their mod.03/12…
The short rib is reminiscent of the ones find on the late .416 and it's not out of place even if I would have preferred the traditional Rigby flat, but what bothers me is the too close grip coupled with that short barrel and long forearm…that is only my opinion and don't put in doubt the overall quality and reliability of the new rifle.
Notice also that when you write that "you never have anything positive to say about yours rival endeavours" you certainly have not read my posts.
I don't consider others gunsmiths as "rivals" but as friends and I have learned many good things from D'Arcy Echols, Steven Dodd Hughes and many others like my old master Lenard Brownell…my aim is to try to improve each of my work because I think I can do it better.
All the best.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: metal]
      #241798 - 05/02/14 07:28 PM

I think Rigby claims the stock is the same as the pre-War pattern. It does look a little "blocky" and the barrel too short in comparison.

In the hands I think it would probably be fine however.

I hope they continue and we see .450 Rigby's, .350 Rigby's etc and of course .275 Rigby's in the future. Some of these may already be available in other models eg .275?

Of course comparisons both in quality, style, price etc to other makers are a different matter, both on objective and subjective bases.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #241810 - 06/02/14 12:10 AM

Quote:

I don't consider others gunsmiths as "rivals" but as friends and I have learned many good things from D'Arcy Echols, Steven Dodd Hughes and many others like my old master Lenard Brownell…my aim is to try to improve each of my work because I think I can do it better.
All the best.

Ok, now I understand yours attitude better as I´m a kind of craftsman too.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: 93x64mm]
      #241816 - 06/02/14 02:29 AM

Quote:

Well Dons, if you don't like that piece of kit matey then buy one for the hell of it & send it through to me - I've already made room in the gunsafe for it.
93x64mm

+1

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Ripp]
      #241820 - 06/02/14 04:04 AM

Mr.DORLEAC's comments are very true and have nothing to do with French arrogance. In recent correspondence Mr. Dorelac referred me to two local gunsmiths "You have in US and Canada top end gunsmith machinists who are able to make that kind of job.
I think that Ralf Martini in Cranbrook, Canada or D'Arcy Echols in Milville, UT, USA will do a better work than us (!)"
Arrogance? I think NOT!

At US $13,558 I would expect more for my dollar! A fore end tip, a cheek piece and a means of attaching a scope (on the less expensive rifle) A Ruger Express rifle in 416 Rigby is a much better value for the money!

Edited by FrankFarmer (06/02/14 04:06 AM)

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #241826 - 06/02/14 06:31 AM

I have to agree with the gentlemen above.

I sum up the rifle this way;
It's a very nice $2,200 rifle with a $13,558 price tag.

Maybe it's a $2200 rifle with $11,358 added for the brand name.

Looks as if they are following PT Barnum in his business plan.
He is quoted as saying "It is morally wrong to allow a fool to keep his money"

Huvius
.416 member

Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: szihn]
      #241832 - 06/02/14 10:27 AM

Quote:

I sum up the rifle this way;
It's a very nice $2,200 rifle with a $13,558 price tag.

Maybe it's a $2200 rifle with $11,358 added for the brand name.

I wouldn't say that...
It does have a magnum length square bridge Mauser action after all.
I would be more interested in it if they had made it as an exact duplicate of a pre-war Rigby 416 and there is no real reason why they couldn't have done just that.
Exact copy of the stock, exact barrel contour, exactly the same checkering and engraving as well as the expected fit and finish of a Rigby would have then added up to something special and maybe worth the asking price.

--------------------

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
      #241834 - 06/02/14 10:44 AM

Huvius
Well summed up.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: Claydog]
      #241837 - 06/02/14 11:22 AM

As I have handled several very old, original .416 Rigby rifles, besides more .350s and .275s, those guys did a pretty good job copying an really old Rigby .416 rifle. Those also came without cheekpiece or foreend tip (I have yet to see a genuine prewar Rigby with these features), with a closer pistol grip and a longer, fatter foreend than their No.4 .350s. They also had such a short rear sight rib, a barrel tapering to the front sling loop, the sling loop band set against a barrel step. Those old .416 Rigby No.5 rifles were not slim or elegant, but very substantial, if not to say clumsy. Just the "new" barrel is 2" shorter. Here is the page of Rigby's 1924 catalog that shows most of the features you complained about:

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: kuduae]
      #241842 - 06/02/14 05:40 PM

Quote:

As I have handled several very old, original .416 Rigby rifles, besides more .350s and .275s, those guys did a pretty good job copying an really old Rigby .416 rifle. Those also came without cheekpiece or foreend tip (I have yet to see a genuine prewar Rigby with these features), with a closer pistol grip and a longer, fatter foreend than their No.4 .350s. They also had such a short rear sight rib, a barrel tapering to the front sling loop, the sling loop band set against a barrel step. Those old .416 Rigby No.5 rifles were not slim or elegant, but very substantial, if not to say clumsy. Just the "new" barrel is 2" shorter. Here is the page of Rigby's 1924 catalog that shows most of the features you complained about:

Quote:

John Rigby & Co: This is the original shape, it was copied exactly.

Quote:

John Rigby & Co:

yes there are some improvements such as:
- Plasma Nitride metal finish
- Higher comb for stock fit
- Modern trigger
- Improved safety
- Easy to regulate iron sights
- Modern steel etc

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#241843 - 06/02/14 05:50 PM

I think some of the comments on this thread have been a bit un-realistic or even a bit more than that.

Anyone who can buy a new Magnum length actioned modern Mauser 98 actioned rifle in .416 Rigby for the price mentioned (ie "$2200"), please show some examples of rifles available for sale at that very low price! Even CZ .416's cost about twice that. Quite a ludicrous statement.

"Buy a Ruger intead" ... well that poster is welcome, as I wouldn't buy a Ruger at all. Obviously far different tastes involved there!

The price while high - UK £7,787 / US $13,558 / €9,270 inc VAT and Grade 5 wood - is not unrealistic when compared to other European quality M98 bolt action rifle makers.

At am guessing on gun forums back in 1905 - maybe the round table at the gun club = similar comments were made, "Hell I would buy a no name easily forgotten Mauser 98 rifle for £7 intead of that ridiculous Rigby for £12! How can they justify such a price!!!"

Yet the same rifles are held in esteem today.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
      #241887 - 07/02/14 05:54 AM

LOL!
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn49/Frankfarmer_photo/British/2601.jpg?t=1391710992

Huvius
.416 member

#241889 - 07/02/14 06:40 AM

Quote:

Just the "new" barrel is 2" shorter. Here is the page of Rigby's 1924 catalog that shows most of the features you complained about:

The new barrel is a full 4" shorter! That, I think, is the biggest aesthetic detraction.

John, you are probably right about the men debating the value of the original Rigbys in period, just as we do today. There is a lot more competition in that market today than pre-war and the high end buyer has a greater expectation in regard to fit and finish than the man looking for a working rifle in the '20s.
I am probably being too harsh on the guns but I do, however, fear that these new Rigby Big Game rifles are not living up to the name (not as bad as CalRigby of course) and the few guys I know whom have handled them were not impressed. Particular comment was made regarding how they "felt", and this from gents with considerable vintage rifle experience.
Just look at the Rigby that Schwandt sold a while ago. What a beauty that one is!
http://www.schwandtclassicarms.com/magnificent_original_rigby_416_b.htm

Why they didn't just copy one of these exactly is beyond me.

--------------------

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #241910 - 07/02/14 09:44 AM

Quote:

At am guessing on gun forums back in 1905 - maybe the round table at the gun club = similar comments were made, "Hell I would buy a no name easily forgotten Mauser 98 rifle for £7 intead of that ridiculous Rigby for £12! How can they justify such a price!!!"

Yet the same rifles are held in esteem today.

Better yet: Going by the Manton, Calcutta 1925 catalog a .275 Rigby No.2 rifle was Rs. 750.-, while a .275 B Mauser, barreled action at least made by the same people on the same machines, using the same ammo, was offered at a mere Rs. 175.-. That's a 328% increase for the Rigby name and finish.
Compare this with current prices: Frankonia lists the CZ 550 Safari Classic at € 3299.-, while the Rigby is listed above at € 9270.-. That's a mere 181 % increase for a true Magnum Mauser action and the Rigby name.

Edited by kuduae (07/02/14 10:39 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: J. Rigby & Co with Mauser creates – The Big Game Rifle [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #241914 - 07/02/14 02:00 PM

Quote:

LOL!
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn49/Frankfarmer_photo/British/2601.jpg?t=1391710992

That's a good looking buffalo, Frank.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#241915 - 07/02/14 02:06 PM

Huvius,

Yes the barrel is too short for me too. Maybe they will offer a choice of barrel length. I think 26" is too long for a rifle in the high grass but a .375 and .416 is better with 24". However I have to say my current .375 has only a 21 or 22" barrel.

As to handling, I guess one only knows when a rifle is in your hands.

BTW NE is not receiving any benefit/payment etc out of these posts, they were posted out of interest for members only.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 103539

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com