Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
TOBY458
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/14
Loc: Georgia, USA
TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING
      #241557 - 01/02/14 12:56 PM

Anyone here ever done a tuskless ele hunt? I think I've seen combo buffalo and tuskless hunts. I think that would be an exciting hunt! I'm not that concerned with plains game. If I go to Africa, I want dangerous game...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: TOBY458]
      #241596 - 02/02/14 05:25 PM

Yes quite a few members have. I saw this a day ago but thought to leave others reply first. So I'm surprised no one has yet replied?

I hunted two tuskless cow elephants in the Northern Omay concession. On a cow tusker permit. One was completely free as a true cull, its trunk having been cut off in a poachers snare. I had the option to also take a cape buffalo bull but seeing I still had a cow permit, we kept on, on that until filled. Normally the PH said it takes a day or two to fill, but it took us about six days to fill as the elephant were unexpectedly quiet with little movement on the dirt roads. Usually elephant are found by driving the roads looking for tracks and then followed up. Of course we looked over several herds before and after the first cull, and it was all great fun, and some memorable moments, especially when the elephants were unaware of us, we were sitting watching them on a cliff until they cut our scent and all immediately raced away downwind.

Most exciting was being chased away from the first downed cow, four or fives times by the herd, dust in the air a hundred feet, trees being broken down, trumpeting, and backing away from the herd double rifle raised just in case.

Another time being in the middle of a herd, with swirling winds, the elephants unable to identify where we were. They would race off in a direction to stop to listen and smell, then do it again as the wind swirled. Until they broke off into lots of confused groups with elephants running about everywhere. Very exciting and probably a considerable element of danger, but never a very close encounter that time.

Another time being told to race around a tree and shoot the cow waiting to ambush anyone coming around the tree. I rounded it cautiously as the cow would have been all of eight feet away when I got around the tree, facing me, ready to squash what was following it. I was happy when she took fright and ran away instead before I got around the tree as eight feet away from a facing elephant is a little too close!

Hunting a buffalo herd, with three elephant bulls just in front of us, maybe twenty yards ahead, unaware of us, we had to keep stopping to let the feeding bulls move on, before following the buffalo herd. None of the buffalo were mature enough hard bossed bulls so this one and only encounter with buffalo meant no horns to bring home. The main hunting area was higher up over the escarpment in the Omay hills. The better elephant area was down on the Valley flats near Lake Kariba.

So I think you can guess from my comments, I find cow elephant hunting in the herds quite exciting and definitely worth doing. I long to do it again and also hunt cape buffalo again.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: NitroX]
      #241619 - 03/02/14 04:21 AM

That sounds exciting! I have made up my mind to make Africa happen for me, at whatever cost it takes. Is it your opinion that a combo hunt would be hard to fill both tags on? I see that you say that the best elephant and buffalo spots are not in the same areas. Buffalo is definitely the most important animal on my list, but an elephant would really make the trip complete. I doubt I'll ever be able to afford a second trip, so I might as well make it count.

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #241622 - 03/02/14 04:55 AM

Toby458 - I'm selling guns, cars, wife to raise money to go to Zim this year or next to hunt a non-trophy elephant. I've already taken a elephant in Botswana back in 1998, and I want to hunt one again.

Two things:

1. I'm going to use my S&W 500 with Cor-Bon 440 gr hard cast.

2. If any of you want to make a two-hunter safari, let me know. I'm pretty sure the entire hunt can be done for $10k each including Atlanta - Jo'berg. Of course, could be more if there's other game on your mind. I want another warthog, A gemsbok, and a zebra.

I know where to go, have made contact, and will hit up a few others at SCI this coming week. I live in Las Vegas and have a press pass, so I'll be there every day. I'm also a part-time gun writer and will shoot photos and although I can't guarantee publication, I probably can get you in a magazine article. I can't shoot animals and photograph at the same time.

Picture yourself with large rifle in hand, facing 3,000 lb of highly-indignant elephant at 20 yards. The steely determination; the strong grip on the double rifle; the desire to pee your pants … who wouldn't want to go?

Also, I'd like to have someone around when I tap off the 500 just in case ...

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: poprivit]
      #241624 - 03/02/14 05:16 AM

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: EricD]
      #241628 - 03/02/14 05:58 AM

Thanks for all the info! A Cape Buffalo is first on my list, but I'd like to fit in other game as well. And an Elephant sounds like a perfect addition. Does a cow elephant count as a big 5 animal? Or does it have to be a bull? I too am into large bore handgun hunting. I have a FA 454 casull myself. But I doubt I would take it over a rifle on such a once in a lifetime hunt. Although it does sound fun. In watching Buzz Charleton's movie Hunting The African Elephant, it does look like the tuskless hunt is an exciting adventure!

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #241642 - 03/02/14 03:31 PM

Sorry I didn't see this post. I've never hunted elephant before, but I have encountered them many time when tracking buffalo in Zimbabwe. The herds are very unpredictable and we always backed away before things had a chance to get hairy.

Wherever and whenever you go, make sure you are specific with your outfitter about what you expect to do. When it comes to Buffalo try not to hunt herds. You'll like all the hard work and excitement that goes into getting really close to a couple of old dugga boys.

And if you really want to hunt dangerous game, go somewhere like Zim, Mozambique, or Tanzania and hunt where there's no fences.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: Cazadero]
      #241649 - 03/02/14 06:02 PM

A very good combination for a Safari! The lower Zambezi is a great destination for such.
Ideal areas include Rifa Safari Area, Sapi SA, Chewore SA and Dande SA.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: ozhunter]
      #241667 - 04/02/14 02:54 AM

Toby
I have hunted tuskless in Zim and consider it one of the most incredible hunts I have ever done.. heart pounding excitement...go---you will have a blast..pun intended..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: Ripp]
      #241669 - 04/02/14 03:42 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Do you all have any suggestions for the best PHs to choose for a combo hunt for buffalo and ele?

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
      #241706 - 04/02/14 03:25 PM

Quote:

Toby458 - I'm selling guns, cars, wife to raise money to go to Zim this year or next to hunt a non-trophy elephant. I've already taken a elephant in Botswana back in 1998, and I want to hunt one again.

Two things:

1. I'm going to use my S&W 500 with Cor-Bon 440 gr hard cast.

You're much braver than me to be going after an elephant with a handgun, even that handgun. Cape buffalo is a dream of mine, as for elephant I don't have any real interest in shooting one of my own, but would love to be involved in an elephant hunt-I'd gladly be your backup if I had the money.

One question-by "non trophy" do you mean you don't bring anything home, or just that there's no ivory? I'd think any legal elephant would be a worthy trophy, and if I had a bull in my room I'd definitely want a cow as well.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #241708 - 04/02/14 03:37 PM

Quote:

Is it your opinion that a combo hunt would be hard to fill both tags on?

No. But no guarantees on any free range wild hunt. A short buffalo hunt of five to seven days is a "SHORT" hunt with limited days already.

Quote:

I see that you say that the best elephant and buffalo spots are not in the same areas.

Merely different terrain in the same concession.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: NitroX]
      #241716 - 04/02/14 06:52 PM

Toby the Buff and tuskless cow hunt was my first and so only hunt in Affrica. Hope to change that. I was in Zim with martin Pieters Safaris late last year. A great but hard hunt. Getting in close to or in amongst a herd of Ele is awesome. Will never forget it.

Go for it and dont be put off. Ozhunter knows a fair bit about hunting Africa so his advice is worth listening to.

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: Rule303]
      #241737 - 05/02/14 02:29 AM

Thanks again for all the info! I will be doing some research and I'll let you all know when and where I decide to go.

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
      #241741 - 05/02/14 03:13 AM

Non-trophy means nothing can be exported. I only bring back photos.

In 2006 I took a large, old stink bull giraffe with the S&W 500. Worked a treat. A friend of mine drove a hard-cast lead bullet completely through an elephant skull. (Elephant wasn't using it anymore.)

I'm not worried about results. I'm not smart enough to worry, or brave enough to be scared. However, I am dumb enough to do the hunt. I WILL have someone with a large elephant attitude-adjustment device next to me.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #241767 - 05/02/14 09:02 AM

IMHO--if you are going that far I would not got less than 10 days of hunting..and prefer more around 14...would be better...

I feel 7 is too short..and you never know what can happen..I sat once for 3 days just of my guns to show up..all the while paying $1450 per day fees..

An awesome feeling...not...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: Ripp]
      #241789 - 05/02/14 04:24 PM

Quote:

IMHO--if you are going that far I would not got less than 10 days of hunting..and prefer more around 14...would be better...

Agree 100%.

10 days is a minimum for traveling so far. 14 is better.

18 - 20 is ideal.

Shackleton
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/07
Loc: Iowa
      #242384 - 14/02/14 02:40 PM

Quote:

Non-trophy means nothing can be exported. I only bring back photos.

In 2006 I took a large, old stink bull giraffe with the S&W 500. Worked a treat. A friend of mine drove a hard-cast lead bullet completely through an elephant skull. (Elephant wasn't using it anymore.)

I'm not worried about results. I'm not smart enough to worry, or brave enough to be scared. However, I am dumb enough to do the hunt. I WILL have someone with a large elephant attitude-adjustment device next to me.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

--------------------
"I do not kill with my gun, he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart."--Stephen King

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: Cazadero]
      #242388 - 14/02/14 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Agree 100%.

10 days is a minimum for traveling so far. 14 is better.

18 - 20 is ideal.

agreed

ejsxs
.224 member

Reged: 29/03/08
Loc: NA
Re: TUSKLESS ELEPHANT HUNTING [Re: ozhunter]
      #250934 - 23/07/14 11:49 AM

So, not even possible to bring its tanned hide?

EJSXS

Edited by ejsxs (24/07/14 04:45 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4690

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com