Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: Claydog]
      #241560 - 01/02/14 03:02 PM

Quote:

It has always been my belief any wounded game should be finished at the first opportunity, not at the best camera opportunity. That is the difference I see between ms and other hunters. Ivan Carter does take chances, but from what I have seen once something is wounded it is dispatched at the first opportunity. I don't see waiting until a wounded animal has enough and decides to charge as showing it respect.

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Liberals, stealing firearms since '96.
Steal one firearm, you're a thief. Steal a million, you're a Prime Minister.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TOBY458
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/14
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #241575 - 02/02/14 04:11 AM

I totally agree that you should make every effort to kill a wounded animal asap. So in effect Mark usually kills the animal quicker than a lot of other PH's due to the fact that he immediately follows up on the wounded game. Most PH's that I've seen on movies, TV, ect. usually sit back and wait for awhile before they track the animal. So in my opinion, this lets the animal suffer even longer. So, like most subjects, there are two side to this one as well. Neither one is really wrong, just different approaches to a sport that we all love.

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: TOBY458]
      #241644 - 03/02/14 03:44 PM

I met him once. He was an obnoxious jerk.

And I've met too many gentlemen and ladies in the hunting community to recommend spending time or (God forbid) money with any self-promoting blowhards.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: Cazadero]
      #241823 - 06/02/14 05:12 AM

Quote:

I met him once. He was an obnoxious jerk.

And I've met too many gentlemen and ladies in the hunting community to recommend spending time or (God forbid) money with any self-promoting blowhards.

Interesting. I spoke with Mark yesterday afternoon at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA. He engaged me and my friend for almost an hour. He was as personable and professional as ever. We discussed the comments on this thread, and he said that "I know, and accept the fact that I have my detractors, but, not one single client has ever, ever complained to me....either during, or after, their hunt with me. I challenge those who speak ill of me to find anyone who had a complaint about myself, or my safari company, after hunting with me." So, there you are.

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #241836 - 06/02/14 11:13 AM

Well if you talk to him again, tell him I'm still waiting for my movies I ordered last week!
I have also talked to him on the phone, and he was always polite.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #241844 - 06/02/14 05:52 PM

Mark Sullivan, always a vigourous discussion topic.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #241937 - 07/02/14 05:49 PM

Quote:

I challenge those who speak ill of me to find anyone who had a complaint about myself, or my safari company, after hunting with me."

I never said anything about his methods or his company. Thats a completely different subject. The whole "let's let this animal choose how he is to die…" bit speaks more about him and his hunting ethic than anything I could possibly say.

I just said that I met him once and was unimpressed.

ruffcountry
.300 member

Reged: 06/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: twobobbwana]
      #241939 - 07/02/14 05:55 PM

Quote:

If I had the money, and he had the space on his calendar, I'd book with him in a heartbeat.......for as long as I could afford to hunt with him.

He's opinionated............but who among us isn't........ but it's opinion/knowledge from experience.

Remember "it ain't brag if you can do it !!". The movies prove that he can do it.

Anybody who knocks him for his up close and personal antics with buffalo etc had better chime in on Ivan Carter and Buzz Charlton as well.

But I would also book with these gents if I had the money and they had the time.

It's your money. You've seen the movies and read the books. It's your call.

Temper your decision with the knowledge that, it would appear that, nobody who has hunted with Mark Sullivan is posting on these websites criticising him.

I can stand to be corrected if I am in error.

+1

--------------------
Double Rifle Shooters Society

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#241967 - 08/02/14 06:19 AM

Quote:

Well if you talk to him again, tell him I'm still waiting for my movies I ordered last week!
I have also talked to him on the phone, and he was always polite.

You may have to wait a bit longer. As I said, he's currently at the sportsman's show in Harrisburg, PA through this Sunday. He'll be heading home after the show, and I'm sure he'll get the order out.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: NitroX]
      #241969 - 08/02/14 06:41 AM

Quote:

Toby,

On most forums you would get loads of posts attacking the man, all by people that have just watched his videos.

Never hunted with the man myself. Did meet him at the Heym Challenge Shoot last year in Germany.

As for him as a PH, all the people that I have talked to, or have written about their hunts were happy about it.

By the way John, when I mentioned this forum to Mark, he said to say hello to you, and mentioned his talking with you for a bit at the shoot.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: ruffcountry]
      #241978 - 08/02/14 09:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

He's opinionated............but who among us isn't........ but it's opinion/knowledge from experience.

Temper your decision with the knowledge that, it would appear that, nobody who has hunted with Mark Sullivan is posting on these websites criticising him.

I can stand to be corrected if I am in error.

+1

Very well said...it seems lots of people sling shit at a bloke that does it repeatedly on a weekly(?) basis rather than look at themselves in comparison.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #241980 - 08/02/14 11:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Toby,

On most forums you would get loads of posts attacking the man, all by people that have just watched his videos.

Never hunted with the man myself. Did meet him at the Heym Challenge Shoot last year in Germany.

As for him as a PH, all the people that I have talked to, or have written about their hunts were happy about it.

By the way John, when I mentioned this forum to Mark, he said to say hello to you, and mentioned his talking with you for a bit at the shoot.

The old saying of "where there's smoke there's fire" probably holds true here. There are comments on this forum and others from people who have met MS and they have not liked what they found. For someone meeting him in person to say he was an "opinionated jerk" would make me sit up and think.

Of course who would pay big money to attend a Rolling Stones concert or dress up in their finery and attend a night at the opera and then come away saying they were disappointed or did not like the band or opera singer, what would you expect to hear from those that attended either?

And yes in answer to an earlier question from NitroX, of course anyone is allowed to make negative comments about a poor safari but in general where you read these they are concerning more obscure operators with poor research and preparation by the hunter. Like the original poster here, most would ask about and go with a more well known safari operator and if they have made their mind up that that will be Mark Sullivan then they are very unlikely to come back and state on a forum that they were disappointed. Not human nature.

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: eagle27]
      #241983 - 08/02/14 01:06 PM

I spoke with Mark yesterday actually. He was at the hunting show in PA. He took the time to talk to me about a safari, and he was, like he has been in the past, a perfectly nice guy on the phone. I am going to get safari pricing from him when he returns home. I will keep you all updated as to the decision I make. I'm starting to get excited about this trip actually becoming a reality, rather than just a dream. As I may have said before, I had a hunt booked with him several years ago, but talked myself out of it, due to being afraid to spend that much money. Now I have reached the age of 43, and I'm starting to see life a little differently. It's like the old saying goes....Get busy living, or get busy dying.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#241991 - 08/02/14 04:24 PM

Quote:

The old saying of "where there's smoke there's fire" probably holds true here.

People that repeat the opinions of others who repeat the opinions of others who also did not actually ever hunt with the guy. Maybe it is not fire but just loads of hot air coming from lots of people on all sides talking bullshit. Certainly Mark puts out a lot of hot air too.

Quote:

And yes in answer to an earlier question from NitroX, of course anyone is allowed to make negative comments about a poor safari but in general where you read these they are concerning more obscure operators with poor research and preparation by the hunter. Like the original poster here, most would ask about and go with a more well known safari operator and if they have made their mind up that that will be Mark Sullivan then they are very unlikely to come back and state on a forum that they were disappointed. Not human nature.

You have a very low opinion of your fellow humans. That none of these guys who are paying a substantial amount for a safari would criticise if the safari was not up to expectations. I think some of these silver spoon guys would criticise for not having enough ice for their cold drinks at night.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #242021 - 09/02/14 07:01 AM

To answer the question,

I know someone who hunted with MS,

General Jorge Jimenez in the US Navy

his email : generaljjr@aol.com

He was very pleased with his safari.

Another is Buzz Charlton's attorney in the USA, his first name is Keily or something like that? On MS or CMS videos, it's a guy strange looking because of his stiff neck. He can't turn his head and has to turn his body. He ruined his vertebraes playing American football.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (09/02/14 07:04 AM)

Nitro_Andreas
.224 member

Reged: 07/11/11
Loc: Norway
Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: larcher]
      #242035 - 09/02/14 07:56 AM

Say what you want abort Mark sullivan, But when it comes to double rifles and sticky situations There is no man i would rather have next too me.

I would say There is no PH in The world that have owned more and have more experience
About double rifles then him. I think he was the same age as me when he bought his first double.
Around 25-28 years old. Think it was a 475 No 2 NE

Anyway, The way he Hunts hippo, is really amazing. And they are never wounded when they charge, and they are Often killed in a second. Humane hunt, in my eyes. He never makes the animals suffer either.

I think he is great, and if i had a change to hunt with him, i would.
And make him bring The 600NE, if he still has it.

Has anyone seen The 2new movies he made?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#242049 - 09/02/14 12:42 PM

Quote:

To answer the question,

I know someone who hunted with MS,

General Jorge Jimenez in the US Navy

his email : generaljjr@aol.com

He was very pleased with his safari.

Another is Buzz Charlton's attorney in the USA, his first name is Keily or something like that? On MS or CMS videos, it's a guy strange looking because of his stiff neck. He can't turn his head and has to turn his body. He ruined his vertebraes playing American football.

I had forgotten Jorge who is also a member here on NE. Have sent him an email of the thread.

If anyone cares to search, among the in-numeral threads and posts on MS there are several members who have hunted with him.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

TOBY458
.300 member

#242094 - 10/02/14 05:22 AM

Thanks for all the responses! I have the two newest movies on the way. I'll give a report when I get them. And, yes I am in discussions with Mark about a safari this year. Looking forward to keeping you updated!

jorge
.275 member

Reged: 13/07/05
Loc: Orange Park, Florida
      #242151 - 11/02/14 01:48 AM

Larcher, allow me to correct you sir but I have not hunted with Mark, rather I do have a couple of friends who have and I've also spoken with Mark on several occasions. Oh, 'General" is my callsign!

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: jorge]
      #242155 - 11/02/14 02:12 AM

NitroX presenting Mark Sullivan at the Heym Challenge in April 2013 with the award for being the topic starter of the most threads on internet hunting forums ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#242169 - 11/02/14 04:04 AM

Quote:

NitroX presenting Mark Sullivan at the Heym Challenge in April 2013 with the award for being the topic starter of the most threads on internet hunting forums ....

Oh, by the way, Mark's shaved his mustache.

TOBY458
.300 member

#242205 - 11/02/14 01:10 PM

When Mark finally retires, I wonder who will take his place? So far I've not seen anyone like him as far as hunting movies are concerned. With the passing of the older generation of people, men are getting softer and less...well.. manly. It seems that a lot of people that I speak with regarding safari hunting are more concerned with what kind of wine or cigars will be in camp. Even Mark Sullivan himself was telling me about the importance of his camps having good internet reception, so the client can tend to business and stay in touch with clients, ect. The sad reality of safari hunting is, and has been, that it is largely a rich man's sport. The average person simply can't afford a good dangerous game hunt, unless he's willing to make a lot of sacrifices to do so. A few people like myself are of course willing to make such a sacrifice, but I'd say that people like myself, and I'm sure a lot of you, are not the norm.
So I believe the safari community largely consists of people who are really not hunters in the truest sense, but only hunt in far away places simply because it is an exclusive sport. The same reason people buy $250,000.00 Mercedes cars when a Toyota would do the same thing at a fraction of the price. It's all about prestige with many of the safari hunters that I've encountered. So naturally they are not thrilled with a man like MS who is in your face with a style of hunting that most haven't the courage to pursue. So no matter your opinion of Mark, you cannot, in good conscience, fault him for being a true hunter. He is just that, in my opinion. Maybe a little over the top sometimes, but still a true hunter. I'm sure John Taylor would approve.

Westley375
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana USA
Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: Claydog]
      #242297 - 13/02/14 07:00 AM

The one thing anybody seems to forget is that people like Mark are promoters/salesman and they are masters of what they do. They are the Mohamed Ali's of their sports and we get sucked into buying whatever they are selling. Without at least a little bit of controversy they blend in to the woodwork and that folks ...doesn't sell anything!!. I'll bet all who attack Mark Sullivan have purchased at least one of his videos and maybe they are pissed off because as smart as they are they got sucked in too. Sadly we always seem to attack those who are successful mostly out of jealousy and we take great delight in watching them fail, I admire Mark for playing the game and wish him a world of success for he is a very very smart Man. Like him or not this cannot be denied.

TOBY458
.300 member

Re: Anyone ever hunted with Mark Sullivan? [Re: Westley375]
      #242304 - 13/02/14 08:36 AM

I'm a musician myself. I'd love to have this much positive AND negative press! All press is good press. I bet this thread alone has made people look into Mark's videos. Maybe I should take the stage when I play, and say, I'M THE GREATEST OF ALL TIMES!!!!

akjeff
.300 member

Reged: 20/01/04
      #242313 - 13/02/14 01:33 PM

"The one thing anybody seems to forget is that people like Mark are promoters/salesman and they are masters of what they do. "

No argument there.

" I'll bet all who attack Mark Sullivan have purchased at least one of his videos and maybe they are pissed off because as smart as they are they got sucked in too."

While I'm certainly not attacking him. My one and only time meeting him(at SCI several years back) left me with the opinion that he's a loud, obnoxious douche, and I would never even consider buying one of his videos, let alone shell out thousands to spend time in camp with a windbag. But that's just me. If some folks are OK with his personality, then hey, have a ball. I just can't take people like that, for more than five minutes. Different strokes for different folks.

"Sadly we always seem to attack those who are successful mostly out of jealousy and we take great delight in watching them fail, I admire Mark for playing the game and wish him a world of success for he is a very very smart Man. Like him or not this cannot be denied."

As I said, I'm not attacking him, nor do I wish for him to fail. On the contrary. He's welcome to enjoy all of the success he can accomplish; it just won't be at my expense.

Jeff

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10647

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com