Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Heym 88B History

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Heym 88B History
      #240601 - 14/01/14 02:05 PM

I have been searching the Internet for information as to when Heym introduced their modern double rifles, the 88, the 88B, the 88B Safari, and the 88B PH, the side lock versions of each, but I have had little success.... Does anyone know when Heym introduced each model, is there a list of s/n ranges for each model that identifies the year of manufacture?

I know that these guns are "modern" guns, but I would find it helpful to know if I'm looking at a gun made 30 years ago vs one made last year. Obviously condition is key when one assesses value on used rifles of this genre, but I would very much like to understand how old these modern sporting arms might be.

Does anyone know of any source for this type of information other than contacting Heym directly and providing serial numbers with a polite inquiry as to date of manufacture?

Edited by Postman (16/01/14 01:19 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Heym 88B History [Re: Postman]
      #240628 - 14/01/14 08:19 PM

I have to do a bit of research to find out the year of introduction. For a German rifle made post-1940 you don't need the serial number for dating, as the date, month and year, is part of the proofmarks. The proof date may be coded at the request of the maker. If coded, the letters A -K (J is not used) stand for the digits 0 - 9. So June 1990 may either be marked as 6.90 or 6KA or GKA.

Postman
.375 member

Re: Heym 88B History [Re: kuduae]
      #240667 - 15/01/14 12:36 PM

I just examined my 88B PH, and it bears no such proof marks. It has a s/n and a couple of sparse
modern nitro proof marks and that's it. There's not so much to go on other than the s/n on this modern piece.

kuduae
.400 member

#240685 - 15/01/14 09:38 PM

Quote:

I just examined my 88B PH, and it bears no such proof marks. It has a s/n and a couple of sparse
modern nitro proof marks and that's it

Very unlikely, as the German law clearly prescribes these markings: Maker, cartridge name, serial number. Then the proofhouse has to add these three markings: eagle/N for nitro proof, proofhouse identification mark and proof date. Usually you find these marks on the barrel flats under the barrels. Of course, you have to take the barrels off the action. Please, post a photo of the "sparse modern nitro proof marks".

Postman
.375 member

#240724 - 16/01/14 01:16 PM

So I had another really close look at the flats using a jeweller's /watchmaker's magnifying optical visor. There is what appears to be an eagle with spindly dangling feet, then there is a mark 8BB and then what appears to be a coat of arms with a foot print in it and a diagonal line within the coat of arms running perpendicular to and through the footprint. Then there is the marking .500 NE 3" as well as DE followed by a 6 digit serial number.

On initial inspection, I saw the 8BB to be 88B as in the model of the rifle. My eyes just aren't what they used to be. By contrast the other flat is clearly and much more deeply stamped HEYM 88 B. GERMANY.

So, I suppose that 8BB translates to August 11 as in the year 2011.

Jaguarhunter
.300 member

Reged: 23/04/11
Loc: Germany
      #240733 - 16/01/14 04:57 PM

Hi friends,

here I send you an Statement of an good "friend of Heym" Mister T.T. witch helped Heym a lot in the 1980thys and still now too.

It is an part of an long story, but it is exactly what you ask for:

In the early 80s, around 1981 or 82, I learned that Mr. B. had started up an operation in Illinois producing large bore double rifle brass, bullets, and loaded ammunition. One of the first cartridges he decided to make and load was the .470 NE. At that point, I contacted J. and got some samples of his brass and ammo. I contacted P. and told him we needed to get cracking with a double rifle to handle this ammo.
He agreed and got the ball rolling in Germany. I visited the plant when we had something to work with and worked out most of the necessary metalwork details with H., and the stocking details with Herr R. (sp) and Her H. (sp), Heym's two stockmakers at the time.
The first two rifles that were sent to the USA were a boxlock chambered for the .458 Winchester, and a sidelock chambered for the .470NE. I tried to avoid taking orders for rimless cartridges, although we did build a few. P. decided for liability issue reasons, not to produce the big bore guns in sidelock versions. He was concerned about having to replace a bunch of broken stocks.

That, in a nutshell, was how the 88B Safari came into being. As double rifles go, it was an inexpensive rifle, I believe the first ones built sold for $7,600. That price didn't last long though as it pretty quickly escalated up to around 10,000, still inexpensive for a quality double.

I can't remember what year we took the first 88B to SCI, but 1983 must be correct...

Jaguarhunter
.300 member

Reged: 23/04/11
Loc: Germany
Re: Heym 88B History [Re: Jaguarhunter]
      #240734 - 16/01/14 04:59 PM

I can offer you some older articles (test articles from various hunting and gun magazines) about Heym double rifle in english and german, from the beginning of the 1980thys...
...if that can help you.
If you have interessed, please send me an mail.

kuduae
.400 member

#240736 - 16/01/14 08:33 PM

Quote:

So, I suppose that 8BB translates to August 11 as in the year 2011.

Yes, you are right, your rifle was proofed August 2011 by the Suhl proofhouse. That shield with a "sole", actually a miner's trough, and a pick is the mark of the Suhl proofhouse.

Postman
.375 member

#240737 - 16/01/14 10:15 PM

Many thanks to all for sharing your knowledge!

Hopefully the good folk at the Suhl proof house won't be offended by my interpretation of their proof stamp. I often find it difficult to make out the precise patterns that are impressed into hard gun steel. :-)

kuduae
.400 member

#240757 - 17/01/14 12:15 AM

Quote:

Hopefully the good folk at the Suhl proof house won't be offended by my interpretation of their proof stamp.

Never mind! As nobody knows the real meaning of that symbol in the Suhl city coat of arms, it is commonly called the "Suhler Schuhsohle" = Suhl shoe sole.

This is what your "eagle with spindly dangling feet" should look like. It's the German Nitro proof stamp.

Postman
.375 member

#240789 - 17/01/14 11:04 AM

Yes, those are the proof stamps. I don't feel so bad now calling it a foot !!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7232

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com