Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: chapuis utility grade?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
chapuis utility grade?
      #24013 - 13/01/05 09:17 AM

Does any one have or know about the chapuis double rifle in 9.3x74r utility grade. What is the fit and finish like, is it much lower then a PH 1? It seems like a good priece for a medium bore, around 6k USD.

If anyone has a picture I'd like to see it.

Thanks

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: chapuis utility grade? [Re: Rell]
      #24028 - 13/01/05 01:17 PM

I've had one for about 3 years now. They are strong guns, handle well, and are generally well regulated.

As many of the readers of my posts have read, Chapuis sometimes as quality control issues. So you might want to have a gunsmith open the action and check it out if its a used gun (though $6k seems high for a used one). Also check to see what load its been regulated with. Most for the European market are regulated with 232 norma, and most Americans like it with a 286gr bullet.

The fit and finish of the UGEXs I've seen (including mine) is good, but not as nice as the PHs. The PH (and brouse etc) also come with some extras (extra folding leaves etc), nicer engraving etc. Though most I've seen were for the European market, so I'm not sure if the ones here in the US (Champlain, Chaddicks etc) are any different so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I am still working on putting pictures of my guns up, but will try...

Hope this helps!

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

JudgeG
.224 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Loc: Georgia Coast
      #24029 - 13/01/05 01:25 PM

Here is one for sale on Guns America:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976425486.htm

The seller had it at the Dallas Safari Club show this year (and last year). It seemed to be a really nice rifle. It has an interesting (and not very traditional) rear sight that is fiber optic.

I'll bet that you can get it (and it's new) for somewhat less than the listed price.

A friend has one and claims it to be more accurate than most over-the-counter bolt guns.

--------------------
JudgeG
Old and getting older, I hope. But once I was young.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: chapuis utility grade? [Re: JudgeG]
      #24030 - 13/01/05 01:58 PM

Funny thing, the price on that double is $5975, but the price on the tag on the trigger guard is $5195! I' offer $5K flat for it!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Chasseur
.375 member

Re: chapuis utility grade? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #24048 - 14/01/05 01:07 AM

Dugaboy is right on the money. A new UGEX should be right at $5,000 in the US (though they go for less in Europe).

--------------------
-Machiavelli

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
      #24050 - 14/01/05 01:15 AM

NE450#2 has a Chapuis 9.3X74R and I know he is very pleased with his rifle.

I'm sure he'd post , however he's off hunting hogs with his PH in North Texas.

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #24053 - 14/01/05 02:34 AM

Had UGEX for several years. VERY accurate with all factory ammo, RWS,NORMA,SELLIER&BELLOIT and all my handloads with Nosler partitions and Woodleigh softs and solids. Put Ruger bases on and used 1.5x5 Leupold. My favorite of all the doubles I've had over the years. Wish I had not sold it. It did kick with authority though. It was extremely light weight. Marvelous handling. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

new_guy
Sponsor

Reged: 10/08/04
Loc: Texas
      #24054 - 14/01/05 02:40 AM

FYI -
The "Utility Grade" is what Chaddick's used to call the "Brousse." So they are the same gun. The difference between the Brousse and the "PH1" is the engraving and maybe a better grade of wood. But the Brousse is available in any grade wood, so I'd say that comes down to your personal likes & dislikes of an individual piece.

The Brousse has mostly roll-stamp or impressed type engraving, where the PH1 is hand engraved. Other than that, they're identical. Fit, Finish, regulation, etc... they're the same. "PH1" was never a Chapuis designation for the grade... It's a Chaddick's designation for a hand-engraved Brousse.

As to the price... I strongly suggest you call these guys. I've purchased from them (saved over $2K from Chaddicks) and believe you will be well pleased in the price of a new one as compared to the used one you're looking at.

Heirloom Armes

His name is Dale Nygaard

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

zimhunter
.333 member

Re: chapuis utility grade? [Re: new_guy]
      #24073 - 14/01/05 08:09 AM

Don't know what Chaddicks called it but mine was marked by Chapuis UGEX which my understanding stood for "utility grade express". I think you will also find the UGEX is a single underlug and the PH is a double underlug. It was roll engraved. Mine had upgraded wood and was really quite nice, although I really never liked the rear sight.

Rusty
.333 member

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Re: chapuis utility grade? [Re: zimhunter]
      #24074 - 14/01/05 08:11 AM

Check this link out. . .
GunsAmerica-Chapuis NIB

What a deal!

--------------------
Rusty
We band of brothers!

DRSS

zimhunter
.333 member

#24075 - 14/01/05 08:24 AM

I just checked Chapuis website and they show the UGEX as a classic model. Their specs say DOUBLE underhooks but mine was single underlug. That was about 9 or 10 years ago. I sold it last year. 9.3x 74R is upper end of the UGEX grade. The next is the professional series that goes into the BIG bores. The UGEX is made in extractor models (as mine was) or ejector models. The only options are straight gripand single trigger.

Chasseur
.375 member

#24091 - 14/01/05 10:56 AM

At least in Chapuis' actual catalog the "brouse" and "utility grade" are not the same gun. "Utility grade" express, or UGEX, is their classic redesign of the SxS double rifle (Orion is their O/U) that they came out with way back in the 1970s. It is chambered in the classic european metric cartridges: 7x65r, 8x57jrs, 9.3x74r, and 30r blaser (well I wouldn't call the 30 blaser classic ). The brouse is their basic model african SxS double rifle in 470, 375, 416. Their are diffecenes (folding leaves, lateral reienforcements on the action, recoil pad, etc). The higher level versions of the african rifle are the Jungle and Savane models. As was mentioned earlier the "PH" is Chaddicks.

Now as many have said before, Chaddicks did "change" and rename the Chapuis offerings when they sold them over here (look at how they used to limit the shotgun offerings to a standard model, when Chapuis come with many options), so maybe they marketed the UGEX as a brouse or vice-versas.

--------------------
-Machiavelli

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: chapuis utility grade? [Re: Chasseur]
      #24123 - 14/01/05 05:26 PM

I have had a Chapuis Utility Grade SxS in 9,3x74R for about 6.5 years. I bought it at Chaddicks. It is color case hardened. The only difference between a $5000 Chapuis and a $20,000 Chapuis is the engraving and the wood, the mechanics are the same. Some models can be had as an extractor or an ejector. All SxS Chapuis have the double parallel under lug locking system. Under lugs are not the same as the locking bolt.
The Chapuis has a very wide locking bolt.
I have shot several thousand rounds through my 9,3.
I have hunted with it in Texas, Montana, Idaho, Canada, and Africa. I have 2 scopes in QD rings sighted in and ready to go. It shoots very well, from field positions I can shoot it on game as well as any bolt action. I have taken game with it out to a little past 300 yards.
It is my favorite hunting rifle under 40 cal.
I can highly recommend it.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #24145 - 15/01/05 12:57 AM

If it can help :

Link to chapuis

Chapuis prices

everything about hunting in France and abroad
sangliers.net

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: chapuis utility grade? [Re: larcher]
      #24148 - 15/01/05 01:33 AM

I just bought one in 470 and am pleased with it. Very stout action.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

new_guy
Sponsor

#24150 - 15/01/05 02:24 AM

Sorry, I should have been more specific... I was referring to the Chaddick-imposed renaming system as it applied to the Chapuis Safari Grade rifles (300, 375, 416, 470).

My point was that if you purchased a "Utility Grade" in one of those calibers from Chaddick's prior to the last year (at which time he seemed to start calling them the Brousse) - it was a brousse that you got.

To the point of rell's question - i've never seen any quality difference in "fit & finish" from any of the chapuis. Better engraving availaible? Yes. Better wood available? Yes.

Is the blueing or the wood to metal fit or wood finish any better on the higher grades? No, not in my opinion. They all seem to be finished about the same. Which is "good enough" for their price points.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

Chasseur
.375 member

#24159 - 15/01/05 05:26 AM

Good points new guy (sorry for the mixup). I wondered the same thing when I bought mine.

I'm not sure about the line of guns that gets imported to the US, but Chapuis in their European line offers the option for "artisanal" version of their guns, not just better wood, engraving and sideplate, which are supposed to have high levels of hand finishing on them. I've heard back and forth about whether this means anything practical advantages. But I don't know myself.

Just some thoughts

--------------------
-Machiavelli

new_guy
Sponsor

#24165 - 15/01/05 08:16 AM

you're right about the extras for Chapuis... from Moustached side clips to about any grade of engraving. they do offer a lot of options. It just seems that no one in the US (the importers) bring them in.

Those extras add up quickly, and it appears that once you get into those options (and their prices) the doors to other guns open up and the chapuis begins to look less atratcive as compared to it's more expensive counterparts.

For my money, the Chapuis in the low, to middle grades represents a great buy in a "shooting" double rifle. That's really thier Sweet Spot. Get into the higher grades and you can probably spend the same money on some better guns.

PS - I've owned 3 of them.

--------------------
www.heymUSA.com

zimhunter
.333 member

#24169 - 15/01/05 10:13 AM

The more I read the more confused I become. Does anyone know if Chapuis made a single underlug SxS in the past and if so when. I bought mine used and the person I bought it from said he ordered it new. It came with snap caps made from cut off RWS brass that I believe were made by gunsmith at Importer. If memory serves me it was engraved on rib under forearm "Champlins Firearms" in script. I removed the scope base filler blocks from rib and replaced with custom Ruger blocks using same screw holes. Had to use high rings though cause you couldn't get to lever with low rings. Thoroughly likable rifle. I really miss it. Shot wonderfully. But there was this Heym 375 I just had to have.

NE450No2
.375 member

Re: chapuis utility grade? [Re: zimhunter]
      #24171 - 15/01/05 10:43 AM

zimhunter
Do not confuse "double underlugs" with the "locking bolt".
Chapuis double SxS rifles have 2 parallel "hooks",[underlugs] one under each barrel, where typical double rifles have one "hook" in between the barrels. British, and most other doubles have 2 narrow "bites". The Chapuis has one WIDE "bite"[locking bolt]. Chapuis claims their system along with the design of the reciever is much stronger than the typical British style action.
I will say this, I have fired more than 2 thousand rounds through My 450 No2 [British] and my 9,3 Chapuis. Both are still tight on the face.
I have been told by someone who works on EVERY kind of double rifle that Chapuis are the best of the new made doubles, ie they have the least problems.
I consider my 9,3 Chapuis the best hunting rifle on the planet in its power catagory [medium bore].
In big bore doubles [40+ cal] I prefer British, but IF I was buying a new made double it would be a 470 Chapuis.

NE450No2
.375 member

#24173 - 15/01/05 10:53 AM

rell
Get a Chapuis in 9,3x74R, regulated with 286 grain bullets.
You will not regret it.
For all round use you should scope it with quick detachable mounts.
[Actually my Chapuis was regulated with 286 RWS TUG, but it shoots 286, 270 and 232 grain bullets just fine.
For me the 285 Hawk [deer,impala, and pigs with broad side shots], 286 Woodleigh Softs, 286 Nosler Partitions [for EVERYTHING else, except for 286 Woodleigh Solids for buff and elephant in a pinch], are my favorite bullets.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: chapuis utility grade? [Re: NE450No2]
      #24215 - 15/01/05 08:20 PM

In reply to:

Do not confuse "double underlugs" with the "locking bolt".
Chapuis double SxS rifles have 2 parallel "hooks",[underlugs] one under each barrel, where typical double rifles have one "hook" in between the barrels. British, and most other doubles have 2 narrow "bites". The Chapuis has one WIDE "bite"[locking bolt]. Chapuis claims their system along with the design of the reciever is much stronger than the typical British style action.

Where would the Demas doubles fit in? It looks to me like they have 3 underlugs.

Erik

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #24216 - 15/01/05 08:25 PM

BTW : "Chapuis" is an ancient name for Charpentier = Carpenter
"Brousse" means Bush or Outback.

Rell You are asking a pic of a Double Chapuis. Here is my RGEX 9.*74R scoped with a 1.25*4-20 Schmitt & Bender and ultra-low claw mounts.

Almost as nice as JudgeG’s Searcy.
You can see little clearance between the scope and the level, nonetheless, it impeccably works.
Note I display a bottle of wine, just to please a famous John from Wine Country.
You can see 2 pairs of cartridges which don’t match with my 9.3-74R double. The 2 first guessing which calibres they are will be delivered a French bottle of wine.
No malice intended concerning Australian wine, I always keepa couple of Australian wine in my cellar, makes me think it’s getting low.
Good Luck. jb

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

seroadglide
.275 member

Reged: 06/05/04
Loc: West Tenn., USA
      #24225 - 16/01/05 02:34 AM

This is my Chapuis. It is not the utility grade, but i will post it anyway. As best I can tell, it most closely approximates the REX; there are some differences from the features described on the Chapuis site. The date in the case indictes manufacture in 1978.

I had been looking at the Merkels and the various doubles posted on the seller sites. The utility grade mentioned above (on GA) has been listed quite a while. IIRC the original price matched the tag. We have some dealers here that when they have a gun in inventory for a long period, they raise the price listed as the price of replacing that stock goes up.

I purchased the Chapuis out of Texas. THe story I got was that it had come from the estate of a double collector; I guess his wife did not have the same love of doubles that he had. There were several other doubles in the store supposedly from the same source, but most were for a lefty. One barrel is marked with what I assume to be the original owner's last name and Austin, Tx.

As for fit/finish, I have no complaint. I do not have another Chapuis to compare it to directly. It is much better than the Merkels I have seen. I am not bashing them; I have a nice handling 20ga Merkel. I will probably get one eventually as the Price of the Merkels seem very good for a user.

Douglas Mays

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: chapuis utility grade? [Re: larcher]
      #24227 - 16/01/05 03:33 AM

Is the wine a Chateau Margot?

I think I can guess one of the cartridges, right down to the manufacturer and projectile. The other ....

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13795

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com