Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: synthetic stock rifle users

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
CZ_hunter
.275 member

Reged: 08/07/13
Loc: Prague, Czech Republic
synthetic stock rifle users
      #239774 - 26/12/13 09:22 AM

Did synthetic stock rifles become an important part of your equipment? Why so?

For me aesthetics and warmness of the wood are playing an important role. And the wooden stock can be much better customized to the perfect fit. Beside this weather conditions here in central Europe are more or less predictable. I would say the same applies for African hunting. Thus none of my rifles bear a synthetic stock.

However I can imagine there are some extremes areas or conditions that might be considered such as in Alaska, Cameroon (rainforest hunt), Siberia, and probably all mountain hunting.

What are your experiences and thoughts?

CZ

--------------------
CZ

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: synthetic stock rifle users [Re: CZ_hunter]
      #239776 - 26/12/13 09:59 AM

CZ,
None of my rifles have synthetic stocks, I just do not like the looks or feel of them.
I do have 1 shotgun with a synthetic stock, it is a Mossberg 500 pump 12 gauge that I use for rough weather duck hunting when I do not wish to take out one of my nice sxs guns.
Synthetic stocks do not have the looks or warmth of walnut or curly maple (on M/L long rifles).

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: synthetic stock rifle users [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #239779 - 26/12/13 01:35 PM

I have two bolt rifles with a synthetic stocks.
One a precision .30 caliber rifle, the other similar in half inch bore. The .30 in an HS stock, the other is McMillan.
They are very stable from -10f to 110f here in northern NV
Predictable and reliable.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: synthetic stock rifle users [Re: tinker]
      #239781 - 26/12/13 05:13 PM

I have 2 stocks in synthetic stocks a Ram line in 9.3x2 and a .30 Pygmy in a Butler Creek stock along with a .10-22 in the .920" bl. channel Butler creek sporting stock.

I shoot the plastic stocks, but prefer properly bedded Walnut, if anyone is asking.

I've owned and shot quit ea bi tin a short while, a stainless barreled and action'd Savage Weather Warrior .375H&H and that is absolutely the best hunting rifle I've ever had for severe weather. A close friend needed it more than I did, so I traded it to him for a .577 Musketoon. All the rest pof my rifles having chrome moly barrels and standard steel Mauser actions as well as walnut stocks, are not in the same ball park for hunting in extreme weather conditions.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: synthetic stock rifle users [Re: DarylS]
      #239792 - 27/12/13 08:46 AM

I have a few of each and both types have their qualities and i`m not one to shit can someone for their choice of either as in some that say " theres only X type for me".
I`m happy to use whats in hand at the time and when I hunt interstate or overseas its a matter of accepting the hosts syn or wood..they both work.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: synthetic stock rifle users [Re: gryphon]
      #239797 - 27/12/13 01:24 PM

Quote:

I have a few of each and both types have their qualities and i`m not one to shit can someone for their choice of either as in some that say " theres only X type for me".
I`m happy to use whats in hand at the time and when I hunt interstate or overseas its a matter of accepting the hosts syn or wood..they both work.

Couldn't agree more...I have used and still use both but for where I hunt I prefer synthetic..agre they generally are not as nice to look at but to me it seems they hold up better in adverse weather conditions, plain rides, horseback hunts, and general abuse..plus, I don't care if I ding the stock of a sythetic..but it gives my heart pains when I see the first gouch in a really nice expensive wood stock..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2182

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com