Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Northern Territory BGR Inaugural Shoot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Organisations & Associations >> Big Game Rifle Club of Aust

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Northern Territory BGR Inaugural Shoot
      #238566 - 02/12/13 11:44 PM

Gentlemen (and Ladies):
The Northern Territory Big Game Rifle Club is a reality at last, operating as a discipline of the SSAA Darwin Branch.

We have been meaning to do this for a long time, and have already hosted two Australian National BGR Championships in Darwin during the past decade, the most recent in July of this year.

The Inaugural NT BGR club shoot was held on Sunday 1st December at the Mickett Creek SSAA Range, followed by a BBQ lunch of buffalo-burgers and chilli-buff snags. Roll-up was pretty good considering the prediction of storms, and the short notice postponement from the previous weekend due to the first cyclone of the season heading straight for Darwin! The contested events were Classic Light Nitro, Group 1 Nitro, Group 2 Nitro, and Charging Animal- Territory Style. The latter involves engaging a 75m life-size buffalo or boar target with two shots, then moving ~15m to the next position with action open for 2 shots at a 50m animal target, then another ~15m to engage a 25m target with the final 2 shots. Recorded score is total minus time in seconds! The Charging Animal is a good spectator event, and no surprise that 1st and 2nd place were taken out with British double rifles!

The Alex Henry double 8-bore was on display at the shoot: what a beast! Hopefully loaded cartridges will be available at the January shoot! Members' rifles included a sprinkling of Lee Speeds, Jefferys and Mannlichers amongst the custom Mausers, Weatherbys, and Ruger Safari bolt-rifles, and doubles by Jeffery, Weston, Westley Richards, Rigby, Army & Navy, Paton, and Holland & Holland (Royal SLE, of course!) were present on the line.

A programmed monthly get-together is planned for the NT BGRC at this stage, and the Club has already acquired a CZ-550 in .416 Rigby and a Baikal .30-06 double rifle for use as club guns. A Sabatti .450 NE double is on its way as well, so potential members lacking personal funds for a big-bore rifle will still be able to participate in the appropriate events for the cost of reloading components only. The construction of an adjustable stand-up rest for sighting-in the big-kickers and regulating doubles is also planned for the use of members and guests in the new year.

Anyone in Darwin or regional NT who would like to join the Big Game Rifle cognoscenti should register their interest with the interim committee: ntbiggamerifle(at)gmail.com

Participants in the Inaugural Northern Territory Big Game Rifle shoot held in Darwin yesterday.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Northern Territory BGR Inaugural Shoot [Re: Marrakai]
      #238570 - 03/12/13 01:14 AM

Well done to Marrakai and the NT Lads.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Northern Territory BGR Inaugural Shoot [Re: NitroX]
      #238585 - 03/12/13 07:05 AM

Well done fellas - hope to get there one day & loose of a few with you guys.
That's what I really like about this discipline is that everyone is willing to help the others out!
Loaned my 9.3 out after a mate had a problem with his rifle that would have put him out of the comp & got beaten soundly with my own rifle....oh well such is life!
Cheers
93x64mm

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Northern Territory BGR Inaugural Shoot [Re: 93x64mm]
      #238589 - 03/12/13 07:45 AM

Well done all.

"Loaned my 9.3 out after a mate had a problem with his rifle that would have put him out of the comp & got beaten soundly with my own rifle....oh well such is life!"

That is the BGRC way, always has been for the last 25 years.

Even people who aren't that good shots will beat the owner
of a gun they have borrowed.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Northern Territory BGR Inaugural Shoot [Re: 500Nitro]
      #238591 - 03/12/13 07:54 AM

Excellent now the geek-fest begins!
Have good fun and let us know how it grows.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Northern Territory BGR Inaugural Shoot [Re: tinker]
      #238600 - 03/12/13 10:29 AM

Hey Nige how come you don't attend the BGRC events,you have all the guns?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Northern Territory BGR Inaugural Shoot [Re: 93x64mm]
      #238608 - 03/12/13 12:18 PM

Quote:

Well done fellas - hope to get there one day & loose of a few with you guys.
That's what I really like about this discipline is that everyone is willing to help the others out!
Loaned my 9.3 out after a mate had a problem with his rifle that would have put him out of the comp & got beaten soundly with my own rifle....oh well such is life!
Cheers
93x64mm

Ha ha, at least the brazing on the front sight did not fail and cause it to fall off on his rifle like it did with my .375 M98 for the last four or five shots of the rapid fire event. Ever try to shoot with no front sight! At least it was right in front of the target.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5953

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com