Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkel Doubles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroNut
.224 member

Reged: 05/10/10
Loc: Parkes, NSW, Australia
Merkel Doubles
      #237872 - 16/11/13 11:43 AM

Does anyone know of any African PH's using a 140AE or 160AE Merkel double gun? Many seem to use Krieghoffs and Heyms but I've never seen a PH use a Merkel??

NitroNut

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: NitroNut]
      #237887 - 17/11/13 12:49 AM

I don't know any personally but I can't think of any reason why not and note that a couple of my African friends would love one but the realities of finance get in the way.

The Merkels have all of the features required of DG double rifle.

Out of the modern crop of double rifles, can't think of one that is a whole lot better in terms of hunting related features.

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: gwh]
      #237888 - 17/11/13 01:09 AM

Not African - but Peter Mayall here has been carrying one in 470 for many years.

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

NitroNut
.224 member

Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #237899 - 17/11/13 11:56 AM

He must be happy with it if he's had for some time? Is his an ejector or extractor gun?

Obviously he is happy with .470 Nitro....Does he reload his ammo or only shoot factories?

NitroNut

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #237917 - 17/11/13 10:21 PM

One of my Phs now uses my old Merkel.
Also Peter Chipman of Zambia uses one after a run in with a Lion.
Jumbo Moore, Director of www.kambakosafaris.com uses one in left-hand.
All in 470

NitroNut
.224 member

Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: ozhunter]
      #237965 - 18/11/13 02:47 PM

Nice. Thanks OzHunter.

NitroNut

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #237989 - 19/11/13 12:56 PM

Quote:

He must be happy with it if he's had for some time? Is his an ejector or extractor gun?

Obviously he is happy with .470 Nitro....Does he reload his ammo or only shoot factories?

NitroNut

Either cant remember or dont know. Are you on [blank]? He is a member there... 'peterm' - send him a PM.

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #237990 - 19/11/13 02:51 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know of any African PH's using a 140AE or 160AE Merkel double gun? Many seem to use Krieghoffs and Heyms but I've never seen a PH use a Merkel??

NitroNut

I've heard of several over the years. One of them had his new at HHK in the Matetsi when I hunted there in 2002 and was happy with it. The main dislike I had to his, was it did not have a wide shallow V in the rear sight, instead had the small square rear notch. I don't temember his name at the moment or the model, but it was the basic model in .470 and all that is required for a PH for a back up rifle. This guy has moved on since to another company - Brent or Brett ?

Some PHs might prefer a Krieghoff for the good reason it can be carried with chambers loaded and uncocked.

Heym is good and marketing the PHs using their rifles and so it works in both directions, clients see the quality Heym rifles and buy them too. Plus the Heym's are generally a superior double rifle to the other two brands mentioned, so if the PH can afford a Heym it makes sense. Plus Heym introduced a DR with less frills and a lower price which is more affordable to PHs, the "PH" model.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: NitroX]
      #237995 - 19/11/13 04:06 PM

Quote:

I've heard of several over the years. One of them had his new at HHK in the Matetsi when I hunted there in 2002 and was happy with it. The main dislike I had to his, was it did not have a wide shallow V in the rear sight, instead had the small square rear notch. I don't temember his name at the moment or the model, but it was the basic model in .470 and all that is required for a PH for a back up rifle. This guy has moved on since to another company - Brent or Brett ?

The PH is Brent Hein and I assume this is still the same rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #238054 - 20/11/13 02:02 PM

Quote:

The main dislike I had to his, was it did not have a wide shallow V in the rear sight, instead had the small square rear notch.

The one I had in my hands a couple of months ago had a standing leaf with shallow vee, and the first flip-up leaf was for the same distance (~100m?) but with the square notch IIRC.
So you could flip up the first leaf for greater perceived accuracy for a precision shot if you had time.
Additional leaves were for greater distances as per traditional leaf sights.
Think I got that right! That particular rifle is owned and shot regularly by one of the posters above, who may care to comment futher...

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: Marrakai]
      #238059 - 20/11/13 04:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The main dislike I had to his, was it did not have a wide shallow V in the rear sight, instead had the small square rear notch.

The one I had in my hands a couple of months ago had a standing leaf with shallow vee, and the first flip-up leaf was for the same distance (~100m?) but with the square notch IIRC.
So you could flip up the first leaf for greater perceived accuracy for a precision shot if you had time.
Think I got that right! That particular rifle is owned and shot regularly by one of the posters above, who may care to comment futher...

Tony, you are right. The model I saw in Brent's hands was a standard model. The standard model had a small square notch on his rear sight. The shallow V was I believe a special order modification. I think the standard rifle only had one leaf as well, but I forget.

Also no idea of what the current issue rifles are as things can change over time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (20/11/13 04:50 PM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #238069 - 20/11/13 07:00 PM

Mine had the standard Recknagel square type which was quickly swapped with a Recknagel V type.

gwh
.333 member

Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: Marrakai]
      #238081 - 20/11/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

On the money there. Shallow V with 50 and 100m leafs with the smaller u notch. The shallow V and 50m folding leaf shoot to the same point of impact. I have found it a very practical set up thus far.

--------------------

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

HendrikNZ
.275 member

Reged: 20/12/10
Loc: New Zealand
Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: gwh]
      #238123 - 21/11/13 01:45 PM

Here is a closeup of the rearsight on my Merkel 470NE

Edited by CptCurl (24/11/13 11:02 PM)

gwh
.333 member

Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: HendrikNZ]
      #238143 - 21/11/13 06:49 PM

Mines slightly different but same in principle

--------------------

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #239157 - 12/12/13 02:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The PH is Brent Hein and I assume this is still the same rifle.

John, If that is a Merkel, it is a very old one! It doesn't have the cocking indicators or the bolster from the bottom of the fence extending under the barrel butts. Also the screw through the stock just above the front trigger. That looks like some old Britt rifle, but I couldn't say which make! I don't think it is a Merkel though!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

TOBY458
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/14
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #241283 - 27/01/14 02:27 PM

I was speaking with Champlin and they said to forget the Merkel and stay with a Heym Or Chapuis in that price range. I'm not sure why, but they seemed to indicate that the quality isn't as good on the Merkel. Who knows?

gwh
.333 member

Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: TOBY458]
      #241287 - 27/01/14 03:54 PM

I haven't played with the Heym, but have compared a modern Merkel against a modern Chapuisse - both very nice although the Merkel felt more solid (in fairness, the Merkel was in 470 and the Chapuisse in 450/400, that may have accounted for the difference on weight alone).

Aside from aesthetics, which are a personal preference, there isn't much to split them on quality wise.

The Chapuisse had a big gap between the triggers which made the right barrel a bit of a stretch - the Merkel has an articulated trigger which is nice and close - again, a preference issue as opposed to any real difference.

I'd be interested to hear what the supposed issues are with the Merkels.

--------------------

WildCattle
.275 member

Reged: 22/03/06
Loc: Northern California
      #241313 - 28/01/14 03:05 AM

I bet the double in the pic is a John Wilkes.
WC-

TOBY458
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/14
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Merkel Doubles [Re: WildCattle]
      #241327 - 28/01/14 04:49 AM

I'm not sure what Champlin had against the Merkel, but he mentioned that they work on them all, Heym and Champuis are the only two modern doubles that he recommends. It could simply be that they don't sell Merkel, but he does sell a lot of used guns too. So I would think he must have some reason for his opinion. I'm currently in the market for a double myself. So, that's the reason i was asking him. As far as I've heard, he's the guy to ask.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #241352 - 28/01/14 01:18 PM

There are a heck of a lot of people who have enjoyed good success with the Merkel rifles. That firm has been in business a loooong time.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9652

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com