Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip.
      #237846 - 15/11/13 07:50 PM

Now that I have been back from Zimbabwe for several weeks I guess it is time I posted a hunt report. I went to Zim to hunt a Bull Cape Buffalo and Tuskless Cow Elephant. After doing a fair bit of research and corresponding with, or talking to people who have hunted various parts of Africa I made my decision on where to go and who to hunt with. I selected Martin Pieters Safaris in Zimbabwe to go with. My PH was Lindon Stanton. Martin and his staff are friendly and very helpful. They cheerfully answered all of my questions.

Lin picked me at the Bulawayo Airport and drove me into the Bulawayo Club. There are other places to stay in Bulawayo but I wanted to take a step back in time. The polished floor boards creak, and there is no air conditioners, thankfully. The walls of the main entry are covered with European style mounts of many different animals and the bar. Let’s just say great restraint was needed not indulge too much.

Part of bar at Bulawayo Club Note the Ele feet.

Lin picked me up early the following morning and we commenced a five hour drive to Ume Camp on the shores of Lake Kariba in the Omay concession. The country side is a lot like inland Australia if you replace our short spindly scrub with Jess or thorn trees. They have a few Eucalyptus trees as well and certainly more water. The other thing of note was that both pedestrians and livestock do not seem to wander across the road in front of traffic. I told Lin my criteria for a Buff were he needed to be old with a good solid boss. I didn't care about size.

On the way into camp we come across a small herd of Elephants, Duiker, several tribes of Baboons and squirrels. I had just settled in my cabin, was about to crack the first tinnie when the camp was invaded by a tribe of monkeys. They were moved on fairly quickly with the help of a shotgun .My cabin had its own shower, toilet and over looked the lake. At this time I was the only guest in the camp. Plenty of croc and hippo activity in the lake and Elephants could be seen on the shores but inside the Matusadona National Park. Hippos conducting a bit of a quarrel or some loving 40mts from your open grass and timber hut in the middle of the night can be a bit strange to start with.

View from my first room at UME

Day one of the hunt started with a 0430hrs get up for a 0500hrs departure as did most other days. We started out on the river bed of the Ume River and then climbed a ridge line to scour a small range. We checked every spring on that range but no fresh sign. By the time we stopped for lunch we had walked 16km and it was over 40C in the shade. In the afternoon the trackers checked several areas with no luck. Over the preceding days we checked different areas including the Della Valley, 2 hours from camp. Several times we picked up Dugga boy tracks but lost them due to failing light and in the morning those tracks had mingled in with a herd.

Hippo tracks in the Ume River. 416 Rigby in the track.

Day 2 had other hunters arrive in camp and me move to a hut that was not self-contained like the first. That was given to a lady who was 73 years old and only needed a bull Elephant to complete her big Five. She was traveling with her nephew and her SA PH-Aart, their Zim PH was Pierre. Both are good blokes. Aart especially so. He carried a CZ550 in 416 Rigby-same as yours truly- as his stopping rifle and hunts mainly the big 7. Also a Mexican Hunter -Oscar -and his agent arrived, he was after Buff, Bull Elephant and plains game.

On the morning of day 3 we actually surprised 2 bulls who were still heading to bed down, or should I say they surprised us. Our trackers, Nkuluteko and Jablulani (JB) were looking to see if the spoor they had picked up earlier had crossed an opening. When they looked up one of the bulls stuck his head around a rock then took off. No problem, let them settle and come back in the afternoon for them. In the mean time we located a small herd of Elephants in some Jess. Big blighters and only 20 metres from us, a bit awesome that. We backed out and called Pierre. We assisted with relocating the herd and the stalk in the Jess but the bull was gone. We headed back to our two bulls. Twice they heard us; it was like walking on cornflakes under foot. We were able to get a look at one of the Bulls but not the second fella. Third time they smelt us and bolted. 10kms later we lost them due to failing light. In the morning we found their tracks had joined with a herd.

This is a sun rise.

Over the course of the next few days we scouted several herd of Elephant while looking for Buff. We checked these herds of Ele looking for my Tuskless cow and only finding Bulls or Cows with Tusks or calf at heel. On day 4 we took the boat and scouted the shore line. We found a decent size herd of Ele so we landed on the shore to check the herd. While on the out skirt of the herd two young Ele saw us and did a practice mock charge from 60 metres. They covered all of 5 meters in the charge. Walking slowly and very quietly Lin and I entered the herd looking for a Tuskless Cow. I have to say that being close to a large Ele in the wild is amazing but being inside a herd of these animals is breath taking. Maybe I should have been scared but fear was the last thing on my mind. While being totally captivated by the experience I was also aware of where individual Ele were. This is one experience I will never forget.

On Day 5 the lads found a lone Bull Ele on a peninsular jutting into the lake. Lin called up Pierre. When they arrived we followed them in. Most of us stayed on a ridge with the Bull in sight- about 150mts away. The Bull made those stalking up on him and walked over the small hillock he was on. That was last anybody saw of him. He did not pass between the observers and the lake. 2 lots of trackers, 2 game scouts and 3 PH's lost his tracks and searched the whole peninsular. The bull had not come past the vehicles or entered the water. Seems Dumbo is alive and well.
That afternoon we picked up some promising Buff tracks not far from camp, but luck was not with us. Oscar was onto them earlier in the day and had taken a good Bull.

Well Day six and we headed for the Della valley again. The first time we were in the Della we tracked a herd of Buff and then stalked up on them. No luck as the herd was made of cows. Not long after we entered the valley Lin picked up some Elephant about one and a half KMs away. They were in the open resting on a downward spine of a rocky hill. The only way we could approach was by climbing the hill on the opposite side and approaching from above. The ground was open shale country with rocky crevices that we used to get to the hills. I might add it was 43C in the shade and we were not in the shade. When above the Elephants and 30 to 40 metres was as close as we could get, Lin told me where to aim for a brain shot on a small, dry tuskless cow. One 400grain Woodleigh Hydro dropped her on the spot. Now some fun started. The whole herd charged up hill. Lin yelled to me to cover the downed Elephant. This I was doing but also watching the herd. Lin was waving his arms and yelling at the herd. I figured if the herd came past the last 15mt mark from us I would be covering them and wishing I was wearing brown Corduroy Trousers. They stopped about 15mts from us-where the hills incline increased sharply. Eventually they moved off. I went down to the cow, she was still making gurgling noises and the odd twitch in a hind leg, so I put a finishing shot through the top of her head.

My small Cow Elephant

Our driver, Vumani, went off and brought back some villagers while Nkuluteko, JB and our Game Scout started to skin the Ele. The knives they were using had seen better days. I had my Clive’s knife with me and this is sharp. I gave it to the lads and they certainly made better time skinning the Ele. It was not to long before local villagers were there caving up the Ele. I figure that Elephant probably feed 2 villages for the better part of a week.
Latter this day Lin found a herd of Buff on the shore line of the lake. We were in close but the only old bull was the better part of 800mts away and there was no way we would get close before it was dark.

The last hunting day-had a spare day as a relaxing day up my sleeve- we were back near the Della Valley and tracked a couple of Dugga boys into the Della. Once again failing light beat us. The plan was to return in the morning pick up the tracks. Lin called on the radio for the Vumani to bring the Toyota (Tojo) to a place about 2km from us. Vumani reported seeing a herd of Buff on his way to pick us up. A quick trip in the Tojo and a short walk put us within a 70meters of the herd.
We spent 30 mins glassing the herd from several different positions and could only make out young bulls. We stepped out into the open and the herd just looked at us for a couple of minutes then took off. When they did two old bulls came out of some very thick scrub. Lin said run so we were off after them. After about 150mts we stopped and up went the shooting sticks. The herd had stopped with one of the old boys looking at us. Lin said shoot, but the Bull moved before I could. The second old bloke moved from behind the first and was looking straight at us. From 70mts I put a Hydro in his stretched out neck, through the top of his heart. This with less than 5mins of shooting light left. He ran, we ran but Lin and the trackers stopped after 20 meters, the bull covered about 50 mts and piled up. They had to point him out to me; I thought I had lost him. Lin told me he was confident at the shot as the bull reacted as they do when heart shot.

My old Buff

The Bull had grey on his face and I am told this means he is at least 12 years old, an old bugger for Buff. His horns were regressing and they are thick and solid bosses with plenty of character. This is what I was after. I was one stuffed –in Aussie terms, Buggered- but happy hunter. I used a 400 grain Woodleigh Hydro from my 416 Rigby on the Buff and it was found in his lions. Can’t complain about the Hydros performance.

The Hydro from the Buff.

My last day at Ume camp was spent fishing in the morning and as usual I caught nothing but still had a great time. The afternoon was spent helping Pierre and Aart recover a Bull Hippo. That is another story in itself.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip. [Re: Rule303]
      #237867 - 16/11/13 07:20 AM

Rule303,
Glad to hear your African adventure was a success.
I have been waiting to read the stories.
Grat pictures also.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Re: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip. [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #237869 - 16/11/13 08:40 AM

Great stuff 303,
One day I'll get there, and if I have half the fun you had, I will have had a great time.
Well done

Best
Alex

--------------------

Details matter!

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip. [Re: alexbeer]
      #237870 - 16/11/13 09:09 AM

Congratulations 303 on a good hunt.

Rigby350
.300 member

Reged: 11/11/08
Loc: NSW,Australia
Re: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip. [Re: Claydog]
      #237876 - 16/11/13 03:44 PM

Rule303, Sounds like a great hunt well done, I'm heading over to Zim in 2014 for tuskless and buff, looking forward to it.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip. [Re: Rigby350]
      #237883 - 16/11/13 07:12 PM

Congratulations Greg. Well done mate.

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip. [Re: tophet1]
      #237884 - 16/11/13 09:34 PM

Thanks Fellas.

I'll get some more photos up tomorrow and way less war and peace.

Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
      #237889 - 17/11/13 05:12 AM

Unlike "War and Peace", the tome you scribed never gets boring!
Again, well done and thanks for sharing the indepth details.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip. [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #237916 - 17/11/13 10:11 PM

More pictures of my trip. I am not a great photographer and only used a Panasonic DMC-FT2 camera. It is one of those that is water proof to 10mts and shock proof. It has taken its share of underwater pics in the past.
The main stair case in the Bulawayo Club. Reeks of the old colonia days.

The front of the Bulawayo Club.

This Elephant was untouchable yet so close. I was in the Bed of the Ume River and it was in the Matusadona National Park.

Hyena footprint in Ume River

This is about 50mts from a spring in the Della Valley. Notice who knife edge the end of the greenry is. Not only did we track and get in close to a herd of Buff in the Valley but also Zebra.

Nkuluteko, self and JB

JB puting my Clives Knife to good use. Bit of a shameless plug here. I have known Clive, who pops up now and again on NitroX for 7 years. I have had this knife for 6 and it has done a lot of easy and hard work. It fits my hand very well and the shape just works for me.

I'll get some more pics of the Buff and camp up in the my next post.

Rule303
.416 member

#237920 - 17/11/13 10:41 PM

I'll up size the pics in this post. Hit quick reply in the last so did not get to preview the post.

A few more of the Buff. Yes I am very happy with this trophy.

His Horn Boss

Lin and self. The tape over the rifle muzzel certainly prevented rubbish getting into the bore.

The crew

Now for a slight change of pace. Lin with a medium sized Catfish from the Lake.

The camp greets you.

to sum up I had a great time. Lin is a top PH who knows his game. All the Staff at the camp were very professional. They must of become tired of me saying " My legs aren't painted on" every time they offered to get me another drink.

This is just my opinion after only one trip so make of it what you will. Bull Buffalo in the Omay North are not plentifull but they are there. You just have to work hard to get one or get lucky. I would say that if you want a 40" Buff then the Omay North is not for you. However if you want an Bull Ele of good size or Bull Hippo with a big skull and large teeth then the North is a place to go.

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #237928 - 18/11/13 01:43 AM

Congratulations on a fantastic hunt! Glad to see that time travel is indeed possible.

I'd also be happy with that buff as would most. You could shoot a 40-incher behind a fence just about any day and it wouldn't mean a damn thing. It's the hard work and the wildness of the country and quarry that makes the difference.

I've never been to Bulawayo since we have always gone in through Vic Falls but I'll need to make a point of it next time. And I always love to see Lake Kariba.

Hope we all get back there soon - and be sure and post pics when you get everything home.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip. [Re: Cazadero]
      #238017 - 20/11/13 02:41 AM

Great hunt report, story and photos. Thanks for posting.

Good to hear Martin Pieters Safaris and PH Lindon Stanton did well.

The Bulawayo Club looks like a nice place to stay. Don't think I have been there.

I think I have stayed in that very same open sided cabin, after having to stay an extra night after a wheel fell off our Landcruiser on the way out. I was hunting with a different outfitter in the same area.

Quote:

their Zim PH was Pierre

If you remember what was Pierre's last name?

Sounds like you did lots of kms walking after the buff.

Great fun going into the herds and being close to eles isn't it?

Pretty lucky to take the bull at last light on the last hunting day. He looks a lot like mine from Matetsi too. Congratulations on the cow ele and buff bull.

Well done!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

messmate
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/10
Loc: Great Divide. Victoria. Austra...
      #238070 - 20/11/13 08:21 PM

Enjoyed reading your hunt...nice old buff and you got him at a good age too.
Well done mate.

Sville
.400 member

Reged: 23/03/10
Loc: Sweden
Re: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip. [Re: messmate]
      #238072 - 20/11/13 08:31 PM

Great story, I enjoy looking at the pics! Looks like it was worth the Money! /Staffan

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Zim Buff and Cow Elephant trip. [Re: Sville]
      #238255 - 24/11/13 03:39 AM

Excellent story and photos. Glad you had such a great time. Congratulations.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5507

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com