Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: S&W .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model #1103

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
S&W .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model #1103
      #237566 - 08/11/13 01:42 PM

I've been wanting to share some photos of a nice Triple Lock I got several months ago. It's not a safe queen, but it has some great kharma.

Bearing serial number 1103, this guy left Springfield, MA in June, 1910.

You can see it has very little finish left, but what's there is original. The nice thing is that there has been absolutely no abuse. Everything points to loving care throughout a long working career. All numbers match, though there is no visible number on the stocks, so I can't vouch for them.

There are no nicks, dents, or dings. All lines are sharp and straight, as are the stamps and markings. Mechanically it is like new with perfect lockup and timing. The bore and all chambers are like new. There is no rust or pitting, even under the stocks; and no re-work stamps or stars.

The 5" barrel adds spice and made me know this would be a great shooter.

Now, speaking of a shooter, I can't say I really like the feel of S&W service stocks on a big N frame. So I went to the Ohio Gun Collectors Association in September and kept an eye out for a nice pair of Keith Brown Ropers. Glory be! There they were.

I snapped those babies up so fast it would make you dizzy.

It didn't take a shotgun to perform that wedding; and as far as I'm concerned, they are joined for good.

A couple more snapshots before I quit.

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: S&W .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model #1103 [Re: CptCurl]
      #237568 - 08/11/13 03:01 PM

Curl,
Nice revolver. Finding one of that vintage that has been used a lot but not abused is not that easy.
I agree about the original stocks not being all that good feeling. The new wood looks great and probably feel much better in the hand.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: S&W .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model #1103 [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #237570 - 08/11/13 04:51 PM

Shame to lose those little gold S&W medallions though.
To a collector, they make the early Smith revolvers.

We see a fair few examples of the second model Hand-Ejector here in Australia, mostly with obscure military provenance and chambered for the .455 Eley. Have owned one myself for a couple decades. The "triple-lock" is comparatively rare.

Like them a lot. Congratulations on your fine example Curl, in a very usable chambering!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: S&W .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model #1103 [Re: Marrakai]
      #237582 - 08/11/13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Shame to lose those little gold S&W medallions though.
To a collector, they make the early Smith revolvers.

We see a fair few examples of the second model Hand-Ejector here in Australia, mostly with obscure military provenance and chambered for the .455 Eley. Have owned one myself for a couple decades. The "triple-lock" is comparatively rare.

Like them a lot. Congratulations on your fine example Curl, in a very usable chambering!

Marrakai,

The S&W service grips are not lost. Just in the drawer! The turn of a screw puts them right back where they were.

As for the Second Model you describe, did you see the one I posted here a couple years ago? I think you would appreciate it, properly loaded cartridges and all.

S&W .455 Mk. II Hand Ejector 2nd Model #69234

Cheers, mate.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #237586 - 09/11/13 02:08 AM

Curl:
Properly loaded indeed! Never seen Hornady .455 brass before, didn't know they made it. My mates and I load Fiocchi and Mountain & Sowden cases on this side of the pond, with the proper hollow-base lead bullet of course!

Ashamed to say I must have missed that earlier thread, thanks for the reminder. Excellent photography! The Hand-Ejectors certainly are marvelous revolvers for the shooter/collector.

I only wish my example could match the condition of yours!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: S&W .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model #1103 [Re: Marrakai]
      #237612 - 09/11/13 02:45 PM

I am so jealous I bet you can feel it from where you are sitting.

Wyoming is not THAT far from you.

A10ACN
.300 member

Reged: 30/01/05
Loc: USA
Re: S&W .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model #1103 [Re: szihn]
      #237634 - 09/11/13 06:50 PM

Quote:

I am so jealous I bet you can feel it from where you are sitting.

Wyoming is not THAT far from you.

I bet he can feel mine from over here, across the ocean! Especially with FINDING a set of Keith Brown Ropers just laying around waiting for a proper N frame to be married up with. Some people…..!!!

(Congrats Roscoe! Nice piece and great taste adding the Ropers. Keith does exceptional work.)

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: S&W .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model #1103 [Re: A10ACN]
      #237647 - 09/11/13 11:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.

There are certain aspects of the wear to this gun that really don't show from the photos. One of the main things that catches my eye is that there remains almost perfect original blue in the cylinder flutes and in the flute of the top strap. It's deep and dark blue that contrasts with the otherwise even wear. The same deep dark blue exists on the frame ahead of the cylinder and on the yoke to the other side. You see it running in the protected area behind the recoil shield on either side, especially between the recoil shield and the thumb latch on the left. There's also a lot of deep dark blue on the frame below the cylinder window. These protected areas really tell a story.

I think that the owner was right handed. The right side of the muzzle is rounded slightly from rubbing a leather holster time and time again as the gun was drawn and re-holstered. The left side of the muzzle doesn't show as much wear.

This fellow is 103 years into this world. He's still strong and robust. Indeed, he is ready for another century. The 20th Century was the "New Century" for which he was named, but it's old now as he journeys into the 21st Century. I wish he could talk.

This guy and his siblings brought us the .44 Special cartridge. It's still the best revolver round of all.

Curl

P.S. Jealousy is not really that bad. I don't think it should be classified as one of the seven deadly sins! I feel it often myself.

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
      #237675 - 10/11/13 03:51 PM

The terrific Triple Lock and the (new) Ropers are the finishing touch. Very nice.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2766

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com