Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed Action Bedding

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Nailcreek
.300 member

Reged: 13/08/08
Loc: Saukville, WI, USA
Lee Speed Action Bedding
      #236932 - 20/10/13 02:09 PM

While I understand that the stock military SMLE tends to shoot better with up pressure at the muzzle, I am curious as to what was done to Lee Speeds, without the long fore end allowing for that up pressure on the barrel? Or was it a moot issue given the barrel profile was heavier than the standard military SMLE?

The reason for asking is that I've a sporter SMLE that I'm restocking with older Fajen wood set, putting proper draws in as well as installing a new ebony fore-end tip. The Fajen butt stock has the comb taken down and the checkpiece carved a bit more period correct.

The rifle's had a Lyman ramp front sight installed, with the standard rear sight removed when I purchased it. My plan is to install an express sight (either SARCO or NECG), effectively making it into a reasonable poor man's copy of a Lee Speed.

It's kind of a quick project to have some fun with that doesn't break the bank.

Anyway, has anyone have experience with bedding the receiver and knox form - and will that make a difference? Suggestions?

--------------------
Veni, Vedici, Veggie ... I came, I saw, I had a salad.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: Lee Speed Action Bedding [Re: Nailcreek]
      #236936 - 20/10/13 11:53 PM

In my experience, bedding issues are evidenced by "wandering zero". I struggled with this until I realized that the knox form must be independent of the forend. Now when I bed a Lee, I try to get good contact with the metal from the forend screw and forward, and back on the flats of the bottom of the receiver. I also bed the knox form, and then scrape it until I have a sight line. It does not have to be a big gap; a very small one of just a few thousands will do. This prevents the forend from pressing against the knox form and applying variable pressure onto the barrel.

Although I haven't tried it, I think that tying the forend to the barrel with a barrel band or even a cross pin would be beneficial. As I see it, the forend of a Lee rifle should be just a place to rest the hand. I would be happy to entertain other ideas if anyone has them.

Nailcreek
.300 member

Re: Lee Speed Action Bedding [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #236947 - 21/10/13 06:46 AM

Pictures ... in process

--------------------

Nailcreek
.300 member

Re: Lee Speed Action Bedding [Re: Nailcreek]
      #236979 - 22/10/13 02:19 PM

From Beaton Firearms in Australia - Facebook does have it's uses!

"They both like a little up pressure, but it's more important to regulate on the No.4. When they have full wood and bands you need to play around with this.

Regardless, your rifle is sporterised. Bed the rifle just around the front of the action, where the front action screw is. Don't bed the barrel initially - only do that if you can't get it to shoot. Check to make sure the recoil face in the back of the forestock contacts the action correctly and there is no movement. Make sure not to change the relationship between the floor plate and action or you will have feeding issues. Make sure the butt stock is tight and the screw square BEFORE working in the Foreend.

After this, if you can't get it to shoot, bed the first 1/2" of the Knox."

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2881

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com