Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Customised H&H 240 Apex

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
375Brno
.333 member

Reged: 18/10/05
Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Customised H&H 240 Apex
      #235845 - 20/09/13 01:25 PM

This was one of those Friday afternoon decisions. Had enough of work so just before I log off let’s check some gun sites to see what is for sale.

After seeing lots of photos and having a good discussion with the owner I was paying a deposit. That initial research revealed a 240 H&H that had been extensively customized by Geoff Wilkins who was one of Australia’s better known engravers who unfortunately passed away a number of years ago. From what I could tell and see it had a new stock, the bottom metal and trigger guard (probably new) had been extensively engraved, and the barrel had been re-finished. A week or two later and it was in my hands and the next challenge was to get it to shoot eg. what load to use, cannot get .245 projectiles so probably need to bump .243, etc. Fortunately I have a mate in Brisbane who has extensive knowledge of Brit guns and he also owns a 240 take-down. As soon as he saw the gun the bump dies were put away and out came the Borescope. What that revealed was a fairly pristine barrel. Next step was the Cerrosafe and that revealed a .242 bore. So given margins of error it looks as if it has had a new .243 barrel fitted. I contacted H&H and they assured me that given the building tolerances and proofing requirements it was not possible for a 240 Apex to be built with that barrel bore. I know we have posts on here where others have commented that some 240 Apex’s had varying barrels. H&H also advised a build date of 1953 however no other details were written up in the ledger. They also noted that they would not have engraved the barrel “Holland’s” although this is a name they call themselves internally. I think what they are saying here is that the barrel would say “Holland & Holland”. See my last picture of another 240 from another site – it also says “Holland’s” so I believe they are wrong here. From what I can see the front and rear sights look correct so they would have been transplanted. I would have thought that the butt trap would be more of a continental rather than English feature.

Even after a lot of internet checks I cannot find out much about Geoff Wilkins. I contacted a well-known Australian stockmaker who had heard of the gun and he believes that Geoff also did the woodwork. The original owner said that it had been sitting in his safe unused for years. I have only managed to get it to the range once and an initial load of 46 gn of AR2213sc behind a 100 gn .243 projectile saw me average 2,815 fps. I believe that the .240 Apex was coming out of a 28 inch barrel at approx. 2,900 fps. My load showed some promise so when I have more time I will play around with it and the OAL. It is not scoped and my eyes are not what they were so we will see however a near new barrel should produce good results.

As has been said before this can be a tough crowd however I am putting up this post more out of general interest and also to get some feedback (good or bad / love or hate). Also if you have any information about Geoff Wilkins or knew of this gun please feel free to say so. Any other comments are appreciated. I am happy with this gun so I am not looking for vindication. I would like to think that a good example of a 240 Apex was not hacked about to produce this gun. In other words maybe the stock was crappy or split and the barrel was buggered.

Rick

The barrel markings on the other 240. See next post

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Customised H&H 240 Apex [Re: 375Brno]
      #235846 - 20/09/13 01:27 PM

Very nice indeed.

375Brno
.333 member

Re: Customised H&H 240 Apex [Re: 500Nitro]
      #235847 - 20/09/13 01:32 PM

Having trouble with the other photo. Will try again later.
Rick

underlever
.300 member

Reged: 01/02/07
Loc: N.S.W Australia
Re: Customised H&H 240 Apex [Re: 375Brno]
      #235850 - 20/09/13 05:50 PM

To have some of Jeff's work is worth whatever you paid for the rifle. The engraving is 100% his and his stock work was fantastic. I remember when this first came up for sale, and really thought long and hard about buying it. I wanted it for what it is now, not what it started out as.
The thing is a treasure and congratulate you on your purchase.

Ron

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Customised H&H 240 Apex [Re: underlever]
      #235872 - 21/09/13 12:55 AM

Very nice rifle. Are you going to do something with the wood bedind the bud plate ?

By the way; here is a rifle which looks like being a brother of yours:

http://www.africahunting.com/up-375/3102-240-apex-h-h.html

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Customised H&H 240 Apex *DELETED* [Re: Igorrock]
      #235909 - 22/09/13 03:37 AM

Post deleted by Caprivi

Very nice rifle Rick.
I have had 2 Apex's as well as a .244, along with being associated with another Apex. All of them said "Holland's" on the chamber as yours does. That said a 300 and a 375 of former ownership where marked the same way.
See the picture in Igorrocks post.

As to the .242 bore, I would assume you mean groove size, as alluding to the thought of a .243" barrel. My .244 had a for real .245" groove diameter, but both Apex's plus 1 other where all .242"ish to .243". Another .244 I know of (built 4 days and 2 serial numbers from mine has a .244" groove diameter. One would assume that in 1959, exacting tolerances of the rifled tube where a bit of a variable.

All said and wrapped up, all of these rifle shot wonderfully with the Nosler Partition bullet as well as the "softer" standard cup/core bullets as produced by Sierra, ICI, Hornady and the like.
As an aside I have used 50grs H4831sc (your AR2213sc) with the 95/100gr Nosler for 3000fps

Edited by Caprivi (22/09/13 01:26 PM)

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Customised H&H 240 Apex [Re: Caprivi]
      #235910 - 22/09/13 03:57 AM

Quite a few of the 240's I knew of had bores of .245 and .246
as we came up with a way of nickel plating 243 bullets.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Customised H&H 240 Apex [Re: 500Nitro]
      #235914 - 22/09/13 04:37 AM

I seem to remember that Wilkins was a hunting mate of Col Alisons,CA would be contactable through the Hunt mag he writes for.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

375Brno
.333 member

Re: Customised H&H 240 Apex [Re: gryphon]
      #235933 - 22/09/13 04:57 PM

Underlever
Your post best summarises what I thought at the time. Basically you do not get too many chances at something like this.

Igorrock
At this stage I will leave the butt trap alone. Not sure about the future.

Caprivi & Gryphon
Thanks for the advice and updates here. It is nice to know some other load parameters. I have heard from another source that Roger Keagle (a knifemaker I believe) may also have known Jeff.
Yes my mistake I did mean groove size.

Rick

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5583

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com