Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Question on how cut stock affects value

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
twalker
.224 member

Reged: 23/07/10
Loc: Southern California, USA
Question on how cut stock affects value
      #235456 - 11/09/13 10:19 AM

Guys, this may well be a lame question, but I've got someone interested in my full stock rifle and was wondering how the cut stock and plugged hole in the stock affects its market value.

Let me know if this is inappropriate here.

http://s698.photobucket.com/user/tlwalker53/library/1903%20Mannlicher%20Schoenauer

Thanks,

Terry

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Question on how cut stock affects value [Re: twalker]
      #235459 - 11/09/13 12:56 PM

Looks like there is some more issues for those buyers who are "pure" collectors i.e. the finishing of the stock do not look factory made original and neither the lyman type peep sight. So how much those means in $$ depends on buyerīs personal demands.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

twalker
.224 member

Re: Question on how cut stock affects value [Re: Igorrock]
      #235466 - 11/09/13 02:33 PM

You bring up a good point, the first version Lyman no. 36 is rather hard to come by. I've still got the original bolt release that the Lyman replaced. Otherwise, the stock finish looks pretty old but I don't have any other mannlicher prewar to compare it to. I notice a couple of checkering overruns that you would think wouldn't be on a rifle of this quality. Do you think it possible that the stock is a replacement? This one was imported through Von Lengerke & Atoine, Chicago. Unsure of when because there's a Germany stamp on the butt stock but the barrel proof is from 1920. Thanks for the thoughts,

Terry

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #235479 - 11/09/13 04:17 PM

I think it will make a dandy hunting M-S. As for collectors I don't know nor values. I would personally pay somewhat less than for one completely original.

As for the plug in the butt, it would make a nice place to put a brass initials insert perhaps. Does it go all the way through?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Igorrock
.400 member

Re: Question on how cut stock affects value [Re: NitroX]
      #235484 - 11/09/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

As for the plug in the butt, it would make a nice place to put a brass initials insert perhaps.

+1

Quote:

Do you think it possible that the stock is a replacement?

No, I donīt think so, model and dimensions looks so exact original. But maybe itīs refinished and re-checkered....

--------------------

twalker
.224 member

Re: Question on how cut stock affects value [Re: NitroX]
      #235519 - 11/09/13 10:45 PM

Quote:

Does it go all the way through?

It was just deep enough for someone to set an old quarter into the stock. I'd joked with a friend about having a small inset engraved with "kindness" to cover the plug... Kill them with kindness.

Thanks guys. The guy looking at it is talking about the expense of setting it right by restocking and finding an original buttplate.

Igorrock
.400 member

#235537 - 12/09/13 06:33 AM

Quote:

The guy looking at it is talking about the expense of setting it right by restocking and finding an original buttplate.

How about a leather covered recoil pad. It would be an easy way to get good looking and correct era budpad.

--------------------

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #235541 - 12/09/13 08:37 AM

I've seen MS rifles with a compass inletted into the stock. I think I heard that Griffin and Howe sometimes did that with 6.5x54r MS rifles.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

twalker
.224 member

Re: Question on how cut stock affects value [Re: Rell]
      #235543 - 12/09/13 09:16 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I really don't want to let it go for the price that this gentleman is trying to talk me down to, so I might just keep it and eventually replace the pad and spacers with a leather covered one. Just curious, does anyone know where I could find a period correct compass about the size of a quarter?

Igorrock
.400 member

#235550 - 12/09/13 03:37 PM

I have seen some old USA-made military field-glasses whose case has small compass.

--------------------

twalker
.224 member

#235551 - 12/09/13 03:53 PM

Thanks again for all of the great information. I'll keep an eye out for those. Also thought of giving Griffin & Howe a call in the morning. Already spoke with them to see if they had any record of this rifle, but their records didn't show it. The man I spoke with said it could have been imported before they started keeping the records in late 1920 or it could have been part of a larger shipment that wasn't recorded individually.

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
      #235720 - 17/09/13 03:27 PM

I'd avoid the compass thing. That gets the same cross looks on a classic rifle such as this as a white line spacer butt plate and a zebra wood forend tip.
I'd have a splice of wood added to cover it and match the grain.
Someone like Mark Larson can make it disappear into the original wood for you
http://www.marklarsongunart.com/

I don't know what the length of pull is on the rifle, but it looks quite long. If it doesn't really need all that, perhaps a standard M/S steel butt plate could be refitted to the wood w/little loss of LOP from what the original was.

If the stock would be too short w/an original plate on the existing wood and the repaired hole still bothering you, a decent stock guy can do a butt stock splice to the rifle.
A new piece of wood is added to the existing stock. The splice usually made at the rear border of the pistol grip checkering pattern. It's done quite often to save older guns that have had alterations or damage to the butt stocks but the forward portion including the inletting is fine.

Matching up a piece of wood to suit, the new butt portion is shaped to the same dimentions as the original. Only now there's no hole in the right side and the LOP can be adjusted to what you want and the steel M/S added at the same time.
Just some thoughts.

Much too nice of a rifle to let go for a pittance. The buyer may have a butt stock splice job in mind for it. Saves a lot of money and time over a complete re-stock as you can imagine.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4460

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com