Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What is the slickest feeding bolt action rifle cartridge?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: What is the slickest feeding bolt action rifle cartridge? [Re: Rule303]
      #235803 - 19/09/13 09:11 PM

The advice you got wasn't correct. At 40,000psi (or more) taper isn't going to make a difference at the time of firing. Pressure acts in all directions and there's more area (ie force) pushing the case against the chamber so it can't drive any harder against the bolt than what the pressure is doing anyway. What causes case stretching is excessive headspace.

How it works (it was explained to me on the ParrallaxBill forum, with animated images) is that if there is too much headspace, the firing pin will push the case forward in the chamber. When the powder ignites, the pressure forces the case against the chamber wall. The case head is solid and can't grip the chamber wall so it is pushed back against the bolt face - the case stretches where the solid head joins the case body. This is the part of the case where head separations can eventually occur.

What 500Nitro said is correct - if you neck size only, the rest of the case becomes the defacto headspacing surface. Normally rimmed and belted cases will headspace on the rim or belt, but you can make it headspace on the case shoulder on a bottleneck case, or even the case body in an otherwise straight walled (tapered) case. And you do this by neck sizing only.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #235804 - 19/09/13 11:41 PM

I had a ZKK602 in .358 Norma and it as a very smooth feeder - slow, fast or whatever - then re-barreled it with a ZKK 602 .375 take-off barrel ( a guy bought the .375 just to build a .505 Barnes Supreme) and the .375 fed very nicely as well - fast, slow or whatever.

Same with the .375 Weather Warrior Savage in .375. Funny, my only .375 now is a .375/06IMP on a Mark 10 Mauser - it feeds beautifully and now I prefer it to all my previous .375's.

I had a .264 Win Mag. on a Post 64 M70 - fed well, then rebarreled it to .458 Alaskan (.450 Alaskan rebated rim to .532") and had it feeding very well - slicker than the Mausers. I had a J.P.? Sauer '06 once that fed very smoothly - slick would be the proper word.

I guess it's all about what you get hung up about or demand from the gun - if they feed perfectly, creepingly slow, medium or fast, that's good enough for me.

It's a tool, make it work.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #235806 - 19/09/13 11:59 PM

Rule

Belted cases like the 375H&H were designed to head space off the belt ?

Then the case expands.

IF you neck size only and do it so you head space off the shoulder which means the cartridge is a tight fit when chambering, then from my understanding it shouldn't stretch as much.

I can get plenty of reloads out of the 375H&H case if I an careful.

Jorge_in_Oz
.224 member

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: What is the slickest feeding bolt action rifle cartridge? [Re: mauserand9mm]
      #236811 - 17/10/13 12:55 PM

Quote:

Talking about smooth rifle actions, I'd have to add the old ex-military Vergueiro. I've got one in original condition in 8x57. The tight bolt/action clearances, short bolt handle and bolt handle closing ahead of the rear action ring (ie split receiver) all contribute to the smoothness.

I'd second that I have owned two sporters and a full wood original. I still have a scoped sporter in 8x57.

Cheers

Jorge

--------------------
“The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!”

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #236815 - 17/10/13 02:24 PM

Tinker wins. 6.5 MS

Once you've had one in your hands you'll understand.

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
Re: What is the slickest feeding bolt action rifle cartridge? [Re: tophet1]
      #236910 - 20/10/13 02:45 AM

Of the cartridges I have direct experience with, I would also rate the 6.5x54 in the MS number 1. The 300 H&H and 375 H&H in Model 70s are also great. Another is the 404 Jeffery (talk about a slick design). I also have to mention a cartridge and rifle designed together for slick reliable function, the 348 winchester and the model 71.

You may notice a pattern here. Most of these cartridges have been criticized by modern gun "experts" as outdated and needing to be "improved". In the old days reliable functioning under adverse conditions was the primary design objective, not wringing out the last bit of velocity. Arguments about back thrust or case stretching don't really apply if one is not overloading the cartridge looking for more speed.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12011

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com