Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New InterBond .416?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
BigRx
.224 member

Reged: 26/12/04
Loc: Idaho
New InterBond .416?
      #23497 - 05/01/05 03:41 AM

Hornady has brought out a bonded core 400 grain round nose in .416 caliber called InterBond.

Has anyone had the opportunity to try these and form an opinion as to performance compared to say, the Woodleigh 400gr or 410gr?

Thanks, BigRx

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: New InterBond .416? [Re: BigRx]
      #23499 - 05/01/05 05:11 AM

From cabelas:

Hornady .416 Caliber Rifle Bullets
In .416 caliber, Hornady offers a 400-grain round nose and 400-grain full metal jacket round nose featuring the exclusive InterLock ring to ensure perfect expansion without jacket/core separation, making an excellent hunting bullet.

About $27.00 for 50

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: New InterBond .416? [Re: bonanza]
      #23500 - 05/01/05 05:38 AM

bonanza,

The new Hornady .416 round nose is an Interbond as opposed to the older InterLock.

BigRx is asking about the new Interbond bullet.

-Bob F.

vapodog
.300 member

Reged: 28/12/04
Loc: Nebraska USA
Re: New InterBond .416? [Re: BFaucett]
      #23503 - 05/01/05 05:57 AM

In reply to:

The new Hornady .416 round nose is an Interbond as opposed to the older InterLoc

This is correct...Old Stevo has opted to convert his interlock to a bonded bullet and it's possible that all the retailers don't have them yet.

The bonded bullet is about .55 each as opposed the their FMJ at .60 and IMO that's a fairly cheap bullet to shoot.

They are new and I'd want to see the results on a few things like Eland, Zebra, bison, or even holstein before I turned one to something that bites back.

If that cheapass Hornady would make a .423 diameter bullet I'd have tested it by now.

--------------------

Will
.333 member

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Kansas
Re: New InterBond .416? [Re: vapodog]
      #23527 - 05/01/05 08:21 PM

Anyone that gets sucked into the 404 Jeffery craze deserves a lack of bullets!!

Hell, buy a lathe and make your own.

--------------------

Once you have been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

vapodog
.300 member

Re: New InterBond .416? [Re: Will]
      #23577 - 06/01/05 08:16 PM

In reply to:

Anyone that gets sucked into the 404 Jeffery craze deserves a lack of bullets!!

This is a clear case of Jeffy envy. Take two solids and come back tomorrow morning.
Vapodoc

--------------------

Siskiyous6
.275 member

Reged: 21/11/04
Loc: Del Norte COunty, CA
Re: New InterBond .416? [Re: vapodog]
      #23729 - 08/01/05 04:38 PM

The Hornady 416's are certainly accurate in my gun. I hope I can find an interbond load that prints to the same point at 100 as the FMJ. It was easy enough with the interlocks.

Does anyone else adjust their fmj's or solids to hit to the same POI as their softs? Actually besides Woodleigh, Northfork, and Hornady does anyone else make both a soft and a "solid"?

We 416 shooters have been blessed with new bullet offerings. The Nosler in particular with its great B.C. looks like a great choice. I still have a pile of Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Speer 350's in addition to my Hornady's.

I have so many types because the gun is new and I wanted to see what would be accurate, but they all are minute of tennis ball for the most part.

What recoil? http://www.cafepress.com/416rigby

--------------------
Pass it on!

458RugerNo1
.224 member

Reged: 04/03/04
Loc: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, ...
      #24541 - 19/01/05 01:09 PM

I've noticed that Hornady seems to be transitioning their hunting bullets to INTERBOND, which I think is an excellent idea. The .458" 500gr RN is also now an Interbond too, a fantastic move as I'm sure the bullet now will hold together just a bit better if not alot better than the interlock design did.

Now can we hope the 300gr Hornady RN will be next for the Interbond line???

--------------------
God Bless old Elmer Keith!

vapodog
.300 member

Re: New InterBond .416? [Re: 458RugerNo1]
      #24543 - 19/01/05 01:50 PM

458Ruger#1
In reply to:

I've noticed that Hornady seems to be transitioning their hunting bullets to INTERBOND, which I think is an excellent idea.

With the large number of hunters moving to "better" bullets and discovering that they're really not that much more expensive as long as most of the "off hand" practice can be done with regular bullets, it's surprising that the transition is taking so long.

Hornady and Nosler both started introducing bonded bullets at about the same time and Speer has had their Grand Slam offering out for many years. I personally don't want to hunt with less bullet than is reasonably available and just have to wonder.....WHERE IS SIERRA IN THIS?

Do they think they can survive without an offering in the premium line?..I've seen their adds claiming their gameking to be fully equivalent to the bonded bullets and Sierra ain't gonna pull my leg...not this time...These guys better wake up or the world is gonna pass them bye!!!

This mentality is the old "my product is good enough" thinking that has been used by International Harvestor, Minneapolis Moline, Studebaker, Redfield,.....etc...

Hornady is going the right direction but they still don't convince me that they're offering the dangerous game bullets I'll buy for my next hunt.

My hat is off to Northfork, Barnes, Nosler, Swift, Woodleigh, and Speer for offering us a choice of extremely fine bullets for hunting things over 200 pounds.

--------------------

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
      #24544 - 19/01/05 01:55 PM

458RugerNo1,

Graf's has the .375" 300gr RN Interbond listed on their web site but it's listed as not in stock at the moment. That implies, at least to me, that the bullets have a part number and will be be manufactured but that Graf's just hasn't received any yet.

See:
http://www.grafs.com/shopProducts.cfm/categoryID/53/noSearchText/1

MidwayUSA also has them listed but it's listed as "Coming soon".

See:
http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/434193

I've had very good luck, accuracy wise, with the .375" 300gr Hornady RN Interlock so I'm looking forwad to the Interbond being available.

-Bob F.

Hauptjäger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Hilo, Hawaii
      #24859 - 22/01/05 05:13 PM

Ok all I’m going to sound like a dumb @#% however as I am looking for .375 bullets for reloading I see Hornady is cheep however I do not know what the difference in Interbond or InterLock is. Can some one explain? Also, what would you recommend in a .375 to use on sheep “cull hunt”?

--------------------
To a point you can never have too much horsepower!

Hauptjager

BigRx
.224 member

Re: New InterBond .416? [Re: Hauptjäger]
      #24903 - 23/01/05 03:55 AM

Hauptjager,

The Interlock Hornady's have a locking ring formed inside the jacket towards the base that holds the core from slippage (usually) as the bullet mushrooms. The InterBond on the other hand has the core bonded or soldered to the jacket. Done correctly this is by far the best.

I have a box of the new .416 InterBonds and they look might stout! Jacket material is a brass or bronze alloy and thick! Almost 1/16" thick! My only test so far has been in some gnarly green Cottonwood which likes to pull jackets off. The bronze beauty retained 90% of its 400 grains.

I would use a Woodleigh 270 grain Weld Core Protected Point .375 for your sheep if it were me doing it. This is a bonded core bullet as well that will open well and stay together well and shoot well all in one package. I really like the .416 340 grain Woodleigh Protected Point as well.

BigRx

Hauptjäger
.275 member

#24956 - 23/01/05 04:18 PM

BigRx
Thanks for the info! It seems a little more clear now. I have one other question about Hornady bullets. I just got the 2005 Midsouth Catalog, and they show Hornasay bullets in .375 with and with out “Cannelure” What is Cannelure and why would I want it?

I like the idea of using the Woodleigh, however, time is short, for ordering and working up a new load. What would you recommend in a “factory load? Or should I just spend the time to make a good Woodleigh load?

--------------------

Hauptjager

BigRx
.224 member

#24989 - 24/01/05 03:17 AM

Hauptjager,

The cannelure is a knurled or sometimes machined groove into the bullet jacket. Its main purpose is for crimping the bullet into a loaded round.

If time was short and I was after thin-skinned game as you say; and if the range may be out a ways; I'd probably opt for a 270gr factory load. The Winchester power Point has worked alright for me but it opens quick up close. Hornady also makes a factory 270gr load with their Spire point which should be fine as well. This bullet opens quickly as well.
Although I haven't tried them, Federal has a premium load called "Vital Shok" (I believe) that is loaded with a Nosler 260 grain Accrabond. While I haven't shot these, I would trust the bullet from the comments of friends that have.

BigRx

Hauptjäger
.275 member

#25033 - 24/01/05 04:30 PM

BigRx
Thank you on both accounts! I have been using the Remington 270gr cor-lot’s and for all the paper that I’ve killed they seem fine. Although I have “felt” some load differences. Would the Hornady 270gr Spire points carry better at ranges out to 250 yards? The hunt is a Cull hunt, and the National Parks people just want as many kills as I can give them. What a way to brake in a rifle!

--------------------

Hauptjager

BigRx
.224 member

#25089 - 25/01/05 02:51 AM

Hauptjager,

While I have not shot the Remington load, Core-Lokt has always done well for me. I doubt if the 270 Rem and the 270 Hornady would be much different at 250 if the point of impact was the same when sighting in. 375's I've had shoot most 270gr well and to the same point of impact as well as the 285gr Speer Grand Slam......... Each gun is to its own however and you'll have to shoot paper first with everything you want to try.

With the opportunity you have for multiple kills I'd try everything you could on them! Then you will have first hand experience how this or that performs which is really the best instructor of all.......

Have good success! BigRx

Hauptjäger
.275 member

#25140 - 25/01/05 04:09 PM

In reply to:

With the opportunity you have for multiple kills I'd try everything you could on them! Then you will have first hand experience how this or that performs which is really the best instructor of all.......

So true! I don’t know why I didn’t think of hunt like that. Now I have a research project to report back on.

--------------------

Hauptjager

450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
      #25389 - 29/01/05 03:57 PM

I ended up with the Interbond purely by accident. I use the Hornady's for my big bore practice ammo as it's much more "economical" than Swift A-Frames. But to my disapointment my beloved Swift's would not make my desired velocity due to Deeper seating of the Swift's and the 21" barrel on my new Lott. To my surprise my "practice" ammo reached my desired velocity of 2225fps without the dreaded powder compaction so common in Lott's... Well to get to the end of this long explanation, I fired the new Interbonds into a dirt bank and retrieved two bullets. I know this is not the most sceintific of tests, but the jackets peeled back like Barnes-X and the bonded lead stayed with the jackets all the way... My next buffalo with the Interbonds will be the true test.. BTW, factory Hornady Lott ammo velocity was 2210fps in my shorty gun..450D

RobertD
.275 member

Reged: 16/11/03
Loc: East Bay, CA, USA
Re: New InterBond .416? [Re: 450Dakota]
      #26105 - 11/02/05 02:05 PM

I have been shooting Hornady's in all my guns at 35 caliber and up. I didn't plan it, it just turned out that way. I got good accurate loads, so I stuck with them.

I just purchased 3 boxes of the new 416 400g Interbonds for my Rigby. I don't know if the old ones had problems, but I do know I have to work up a new load for these. Too bad, my old load was great.

Yeah, I have to wonder about Sierra. It isn't that their bullets are bad, as they seem to be quite accurate. But, why hunt with cup and lead bullets when you can shoot a bonded bullet for about the same price?

For paper though, I shoot what is cheap and similar trajectory to my hunting bullet. Example is 140g Sierras and 140g Partitions in my 7x57.

RobertD

--------------------
NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
SCI Golden Gate Member

"Time is never found, if you want time for something, you have to make it."

BigRx
.224 member

Re: New InterBond .416? [Re: 450Dakota]
      #26220 - 13/02/05 02:40 AM

Like you 450Dakota, my testing of the new InterBond has so far been only simulations.
But to answer my own question on these new .416 Hornadys for general info for everyone else; this is what I've learned.
The jacket on the new .416 400gr Hornady InterBond is a thick bronze/brass material. The bullets are extremely uniform, especially for a big bullet. Variation is only a couple tenths of a grain. Accuracy is superb for me, minute of angle and better as a norm.
Wet phone books show like performance to 400gr Woodleighs, with each performing great in the 1800 to 2200fps range. (of interest to me) The InterBond will open to a frontal area of one inch or slightly more, creating a long "trauma" area in the wet paper. The petals fold back with six folds flower-like and would strike one to think they were bear claws except for the bronze look. The lightest bullet in all the paper tests was still at 94%. I shot some into some stringy hardwood and even here the lightest went 90% retaining weight. This was an abusive test! Heat from stopping the big slug in this "imitation buffalo" material even soldered some of the lead to the bullet's shank from the heat developed!
So simulations are good. I hope someone reports back on real game performance as will I when it takes place.

Best, BigRx

450Dakota
.300 member

Reged: 18/03/04
Loc: California, USA
      #26226 - 13/02/05 08:44 AM

BigRX.. I fully agree with you. To tell the truth I have never been too big a Hornady fan, but I think they have a real winner with the new Interbonds. I'm looking forward to more Interbond introductions, hopefully in 9.3 286gr. as the Woodleigh supply is both sketchy and expensive.... Your testing goes far in giving me extra confidence in giving them a try on my next buff hunt..450Dakota

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5859

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com