Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dam Barra's

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Fishing

Pages: 1
Rhodes
.275 member

Reged: 20/09/11
Loc: NQ, Australia
Dam Barra's
      #234372 - 17/08/13 08:26 PM

Here's a couple of the barra's we've pulled from the impoundments around here. Some people say the barra's in the dam's are big and lazy and can't get out of the water when they jump. Don't believe them for a minute. I've had one clear the water by 8 feet on a jump. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. She weighed in at 51lb before release. True, some of the fish you hook trolling can be like winding in a wet potatoe sack. If you can find them up in the timber however, they fight like black bass.

Rhodes

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Dam Barra's [Re: Rhodes]
      #234373 - 17/08/13 09:37 PM

Stone the crows, they are massive, where is that ?? best, Mike

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Dam Barra's [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #234375 - 17/08/13 09:50 PM

Awesome, thanks for posting.

Rhodes
.275 member

Re: Dam Barra's [Re: 500Nitro]
      #234376 - 17/08/13 10:23 PM

Caught in North Queensland

Some are from Tinaroo dam which is inland from Cairns

Some are from Faust dam which is near the Whitsundays / proserpine area.

Lots more but you get the idea.

I have a pic of one of us holding a fish and if you look at the sounder screen in the corner of the picture it shows probably a dozen big fish sitting under the boat. If I can find it I'll post it.

Cheers
Rhodes

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #234389 - 18/08/13 02:11 AM

Congratulations on some big barras.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Dam Barra's [Re: NitroX]
      #234403 - 18/08/13 06:03 AM

What kit do you use?
Lures, Bait, Real, Rod And Line?

Rhodes
.275 member

Re: Dam Barra's [Re: ozhunter]
      #234425 - 18/08/13 07:17 PM

oz

Pretty much whatever will stop them up in the timber and I'm not trying to be vague. We started using our saltwater barra lurecasting gear, heavy graphite baitcasters, ABU 6500C and 30lb braid but couldn't stop them. Kept busting the line so we spooled up with 50lb braid and wrecked a couple of reels. Also the rods while good for lurecasting, just weren't enough for fighting heavy fish, they would just bend like spaggetti. Next we tried our saltwater barra trolling outfits, stiffer rods and ABU 7000LD and spooled em up with 50lb braid and kept wrecking reels. We tried the smallest Shimano TLD's but no good. I'm brand loyal to ABU but they couldn't handle lockup duty with 50lb braid, the shafts flex and the gearing gets damaged, 30lb is their limit. We ended up over engineering and grabbed a couple of cheap penn stroker rods rated 30-50lb, 5'6" long, a bit like a pool cue with a light tip and Shimano tekota reels loaded with 50lb braid. We fully expected these to get broken as well but they have stood the test of time so far. This outfit is too heavy to comfortably lure with but it's what we ended up with to stop them once hooked. It's a dedicated dam outfit that I wouldn't use anywhere else. I know guy's that persevere with the small shimano culcutta's loaded with 50lb and heavy baitcasters but I don't know how they do it. We still hook fish we can't stop. Imagine a submerged tree, the fish are deep in the branches. Lures, pretty much anything that you can cast that will crash dive as deep as you can get them, use your imagination here, but you have to upgrade split rings and hooks to the strongest you can find. And have a tackle back or a long pole handy as you will hook a lot of branches.

Trolling is a bit easier out in the open water and I just use my saltwater barra trolling outfit. I like a fairly stiff rod for trolling deep divers as anything with a light tip will bend too much and it's a chore to hang onto. ABU 7000 and 30lb braid. Although a regular baitcasting outfit would do the job as barra are clean fighters in the open. Good standby lures are 6 inch scorpions and barra baits in a range of depths down to 20+ and 25+ ft. Lots of lures work it's more about finding at what depth the fish are holding and getting down to them.

We don't troll for them much, preferring to get amongst them in the timber. It's the difference between walking up to an elephant in the open and braining him with a 275 or grabbing your heavy double and stalking him in the thick stuff. One minute you're standing there shooting the breeze with your mate, working your lures through some structure, the next minute you're bent double with an express train peeling 50lb braid against a locked drag and both thumbs clamped on the spool like it's not even there and your mate is bent double laughing at you.

One more tip. Get some pigskin leather riggers gloves. Cut the four fingers off (keep these) but leave the thumb on. Wear this on your right hand, it stops the smell of burning flesh. When you wear the thumb out throw the glove away. Take one of the leather fingers you cut off and kept, slip this over your thumb and tape it on with electrical tape and you're good to go again.

Pretty much all the dam's are stocked with barra's now days. It's just a matter of finding where the fish are holding in the dam and at what depth as they move around with the seasons and changing water level. Working out their feeding cycle and then getting something down to them that they will eat on the day.

Cheers
Rhodes

Edited by Rhodes (18/08/13 07:19 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #234436 - 19/08/13 03:06 AM

Short for their weight - & chunky like bass!

Any salties in there ?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Dam Barra's [Re: DarylS]
      #234443 - 19/08/13 08:01 AM

Rhodes, say Gday to Gibbo for me.
Bloody nice Barra - spotted the obvious Tinaroo & Faust dam photos!
Looks like you lads have been cleaning up with the heavy gear & yep you'll need it with those bad boys. I had a mate's dad snag a black bream out of the Faust dam, biggest & heaviest I've ever seen! Unfortunately we never had a tape to measure him (well over a foot long) or scales to weigh the fat sucker - yep he was fat alright, living on all the fresh water crayfish there! He hardly fought a bit. My youngest lad got a nice one just on the foot long & boy it was a fighter - not often you seen a black bream jump, but this bloke did a few times; good eating too!
Hope you haven't been neglecting the shooting also; & yes I have to ask - has Gibbo dusted off his 9.3x74 yet and actually used it?
Sorry mate haven't been out to the range for quite some time due to family commitments.
Good to see you lads having a win!
Cheers
Baz

PS:- Yes folks they even get a lot bigger than those ones - if you want to do some game fishing, hook a barra & hang on! No salties in Tinaroo or Faust, be careful in & around the Burdekin dam - some very big 'lizards' live there!

Rhodes
.275 member

Re: Dam Barra's [Re: 93x64mm]
      #234452 - 19/08/13 02:05 PM

G'day barry

We're playing with a little Merkel at the moment, when we have time. I hear you have a name change coming, 404J isn't it?

Daryl, if you mean croc's they have warning signs posted at the boat ramps but I doubt there are any in the dam. Just a precaution I'd say because we're in the tropics.

Cheers
Rhodes

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #234464 - 20/08/13 02:58 AM

Can you imagine one on a 9wt fly rod (have to be in the open)

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Dam Barra's [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #234471 - 20/08/13 06:22 AM

Rhodes,
if you need a deckie then give us a bell!
I am an RO at the range now so if you need a bit of quiet time with the Merkel then let us know.
Monday's best for me - if you lads can squeeze a bit of time off work.
Cheers
Baz

PS:- right about the .404J, hopefully this week the dies come - mating of elephants it's been; a lot of roaring & screaming in high places!

Rhodes
.275 member

Re: Dam Barra's [Re: 93x64mm]
      #234480 - 20/08/13 01:04 PM

No worries Barry. We'll have to catch up so you can show off your new toy ;-)

Mike, I know just the spot. Easy to hook and nice clean fight. We've spoken about that very thing but never got back to try it. Believe me when I say this. When they are feeding they hit hard and fast. You would be doing a dance to clear the decks and get the line out :-)

Rhodes
.275 member

#238882 - 07/12/13 12:14 AM

Stumbled across the pic I was looking for today and a few missing video's. Have a look at the sounder screen and what's under the boat while we're letting this one go.

And here's a teaser vid of another one.

Edited by Rhodes (07/12/13 12:17 AM)

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #238937 - 07/12/13 01:07 PM

Those are some impressive fish!

Good going!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Dam Barra's [Re: AkMike]
      #244124 - 21/03/14 06:20 PM

Rhodes,
Thanks for the run down on the methods and I do understand your use of the Elephant hunting example

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5439

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com