Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Gas checks?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Cast Bullets

Pages: 1
416rigby
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/05
Loc: Port Angeles, Washington USA
Gas checks?
      #234061 - 12/08/13 03:47 AM

I'm trying to find a cast bullet load for my 416 Rigby in a Ruger No. 1 for inexpensive, low recoil plinking. It shoots jacketed and solid's MOA. I don't cast my own bullets. I tried some 350gr RCBS that are made for GC's but they came without them, so I tried them plain. Accuracy was awful. Could this be the culprit or does it make that much of a difference? I have a lot of experience with cast bullets in my revolvers and they come already GC'd and they work great.

Thanks,
Rick

--------------------
"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun"

U.S. Coast Guard, retired

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Gas checks? [Re: 416rigby]
      #234066 - 12/08/13 04:46 AM

I could never get good results with my own cast 400gr bullets in my .404 but as soon as I put a shoulder on the base and crimped and sized on a 44 cal gas check I got great results with good grouping. For a low recoil accurate and cheap load I use 350gr or 400gr cast with 22.5grs Unique. I haven't gone up in powder charge yet with this load, originally tried a load of 22.5grs Red Dot with the 350gr cast as recommended by another 404 user so just duplicated this with the slower Unique to get things started. POI is not far off full power loads.

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
Re: Gas checks? [Re: eagle27]
      #234067 - 12/08/13 04:49 AM

Rick:
I've never shot a gas check bullet without the gas check, but I would imagine results would not be good. The base of the bullet is very important to accuracy and I'm sure that step down in the bullet base would effect it.
Bob

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
Re: Gas checks? [Re: aromakr]
      #234070 - 12/08/13 05:33 AM

I have messed around with unchecked GC bullets in the 375 X 2½. At velocities below 1500 fps the unchecked bullets would shoot moderately well but at higher velocities the gas checks appeared to be a must. Even at low velocity they shot better with the checks in place.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Gas checks? [Re: Oldbrit]
      #234073 - 12/08/13 08:18 AM

I have cast my own .416 Rigby 'Boolitts'. Always used a GC.

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Loc: UK
Re: Gas checks? [Re: tophet1]
      #234105 - 12/08/13 06:16 PM

I was thinking about this overnight. As you don't cast, presumably you don't have a lubrisizer so you can't even buy gas checks and put them on the bullets yourself. I checked the Lee catalogue and they don't do one of their standard bullet sizers in the right dimensions either, although they will make you one I believe.

Your best bet is to find someone with a lubrisizer, borrow it and buy the right dies (not hugely expensive) so you can gas check the bullets yourself. Otherwise you could sell the bullets to someone else and start again. Sorry but that's not much comfcort to you.

416rigby
.300 member

Reged: 16/11/05
Loc: Port Angeles, Washington USA
Re: Gas checks? [Re: Oldbrit]
      #234274 - 15/08/13 02:29 AM

Thanks, gents. I thought maybe not having the GC installed was part of the problem. I think I'm going to try some of the LBT's from Cast Performance, since they come ready to go and I've had great results with them in my .454 Casull and .475 Linebaugh revolvers. I probably don't have time to get into casting my own, I have too many hobbies as it is. Here's a link to Cast Performance. Great bullets if you haven't tried them.

http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/in...695o03abf043x10

Thanks again,
Rick

--------------------
"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun"

U.S. Coast Guard, retired

eljefedouble
.300 member

Reged: 23/04/06
Loc: Vic, Australia
Re: Gas checks? [Re: 416rigby]
      #240824 - 18/01/14 05:56 PM

I make my own GC, pan lube and , voila.
I have only been casting for about a year, takes no special skill to make a simple GC maker; so you can whack them out of Cola cans.

--------------------
"it dont mean a thing, if it aint got no zing"
"Toa bunduki mkubwa"

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Gas checks? [Re: eljefedouble]
      #240853 - 19/01/14 11:35 AM

416rigby
I would go with the bought cast projectiles with a gas check, but size them down to +0.001" your groove dia with a push through LEE sizer, much faster than casting etc yourself & less overall effort for you.
The Red Dot load that Eagle27 talks about is a hidden gem, about 1400fps & very accurate too!
Only problem is it shoots 7" high from my normal full loads - but that's just my rifle.
I'm working on a new replacement front sight for the light loads & a QD mount for a small Red dot sight, hope lovey don't find out or my goose is cooked - budget a bit tight at present, had the replace all the tyres on the truck this month!
I had my own CZ .404 bore checked (.423" groove - ordered off CBE a mould & sizing die 0.424" to suit), this calibre is a bit harder to get over our way. More time & effort to do so for me but I enjoy the challenges of reloading!
My ultimate aim in reloading.....loading BP in a double rifle!
Worth it in the long run getting these old / oddball cartridges going again!
All the best
93x64mm

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4227

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com