Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bargain from a net auction

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Bargain from a net auction
      #233903 - 10/08/13 04:44 AM

Sometimes you may have luck at internet auctions, just as buckstix had recently, see:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post233888
All it takes is a seller with inferior knowledge, a very rare item nobody knows, an erroneous description and substandard auction photos.
I had such luck some years ago, though on a much lower level than buckstix. A gunsmith from southern Germany offered on EGUN a "very early Mannlicher-Schoenauer, serial number 299, altered to .30-06, with claw-mounted old 4x Kahles scope, seems to have seen little use, some dings and scratches on stock from storage." On the one small auction photo I noticed some "earmarks", an unusual (for a M-Sch) 3-leaf "express sight" and a foreend slightly shorter in front of the sling stirrup than usual on M-Sch rifles. The starting price of the auction was Euro 300.-, about US $ 390.-. A few minutes before the auction ended there were no bids at all, so I placed one and won the auction at the starting price. This is what I got:

It is a M1924, virtually unknown in Germany as it was made for export to the USA where it is known as the "Sequoia model" for the name of the importing company. According to legend the Steyr factory had a contract with Sequoia for 1000 such rifles, but the deal fell through some time. So few serial numbers above 300 are known among M-Sch collectors. According to about 1930 German mail order catalogs remaining stocks were offered on the European market, together with the M1925 "High Velocity" model, but at a 10% discount for the then foreign to Europeans .30-06 chambering. As the M1925 was offered first in 7x64 and 8x60 Magnum, the inscription on the receiver ring of these left over rifles was altered from "M1924" to " Kal. 7.62x63", the metric designation for the .30-06. So the inscription only was altered, not the caliber. #299 came with a then factory optional Kahles, Vienna, "Heliavier" scope on Vienna style "Schnäpper" mounts. Scope and mount are numbered to the rifle.
I posted this rifle before, but repost it because user buckstix had similar luck with a double rifle at $ 2000.- and Nordmann doubted anything good may be had for little money from the net.

--------------------
German foresters: We like sustainability! For merely 300 years by 2013.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Bargain from a net auction [Re: kuduae]
      #233952 - 10/08/13 08:52 PM

such believing in "great names" is laughable in the end and consistently you have to buy a piece of s..t also if H&H engrave the name in it.
the truth about it is that a gun is not a good one because of the firm who make it but some firms making good guns from time to time and the gun in question is maybe one of them. we have seen here some examples of post WW 2 british gunmaking that had speak a lot about the doomsday time it was for them.
it becomes realy funny when you talking bad about a belgian no name double BECAUSE you dont know how much no name belgian stuff was baptised and sold in the british guntrade.

summer time is a good time for making god deals in auctions, last week there was a MS in 7x64 with scope on claw mount in perfect condition ending for 400 on egun

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Edited by lancaster (10/08/13 08:53 PM)

Nordmann
.300 member

Reged: 05/07/13
Loc: Denmark
Re: Bargain from a net auction [Re: lancaster]
      #233976 - 11/08/13 02:07 AM

Lancaster, I would pretty much guarantee that you cannot find one gun that was put out by Hartmann & Weiss that could be classified as a piece of s..t!

--------------------
James Etherington-Thorpe - a man's reputation can be known by his words. Read Mr Thorpe's comments and judge his character by his own words and attitudes.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Bargain from a net auction [Re: Nordmann]
      #233985 - 11/08/13 03:45 AM

probably not yet but this means nothing to me!
bring hartmann&weiss in a situation similar to the british guntrade after WW 2 when everything was brocken down piece by piece in a country with no money around anymore. than let them try to survive...
dont say this in an arrogant manner because this its what the world can become without warning. a new gunlaw can bring such a situation overnight.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Bargain from a net auction [Re: lancaster]
      #233990 - 11/08/13 05:13 AM

Anyway, for $390 that is a lot of gun for the money and would make the base for a great custom rifle , best, Mike

Nordmann
.300 member

Reged: 05/07/13
Loc: Denmark
Re: Bargain from a net auction [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #233992 - 11/08/13 06:12 AM

Lancaster ....Are you a doomsday prep'er by any chance?

--------------------
James Etherington-Thorpe - a man's reputation can be known by his words. Read Mr Thorpe's comments and judge his character by his own words and attitudes.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bargain from a net auction [Re: Nordmann]
      #234024 - 11/08/13 04:00 PM

Lancaster,

A good buy you made there. $1600 plus in Australia.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3480

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com