Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sporting Clays Anybody?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Sporting Clays Anybody?
      #233032 - 28/07/13 12:25 AM

Hi guys - didn't find anything on the subject - anybody into Sporting Clays here?

Coming from the Trap line - started Sporting this year.

I am shooting Browning Ultra Trap Plus
30" barrels - Fixed (3/4 an Full) Chokes - I compensate with different shot shells

Fiocchi Official Trap #8 24g for general use
Cheddite Mach 3 - Free Shot # 8 1/2 24g for close shots (sub 25m)
Fiocchi TT One #7 1/2 28g for long stuff, quartering rabbit etc...
For trainings - Cheddite Universal Trap #8 and # 7 1/2 24g
Experiment with others

Wil be shooting at Alpe-Adria GP F.I.T.A.S.C. Sporting on August 17th and 18th. in Tolmezzo (Italy) 200 birds in 2 days...my first Int. shoot.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: 93mouse]
      #233034 - 28/07/13 01:03 AM

The boys 'n girls shoot Sporting Clays every Thursday evening here at the club.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: DarylS]
      #233038 - 28/07/13 02:38 AM

July and August calendars are typically inundated with corporate shoots in South Texas, many of which are now more in the style of sporting clays as opposed to the skeet shoots of the past.

Next week is week 4 (of 5) for the San Antonio Gun Club Birdhunter's Warm-Up League. Every Wednesday evening we shoot 50 rounds in simulated hunting scenarios. Food and beverages follow afterwards.

I'll take some photos and post them next week.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: Cazadero]
      #233047 - 28/07/13 09:39 AM

I'll be shooting in the U.S. Western Open next week and the Washington State Championship a couple of weeks later. It would be fun to shoot at the Nationals in October but don't have the money for it this year. I've only recently joined the NSCA so I'm just starting my climb up the classification ladder.

Rigby350
.300 member

Reged: 11/11/08
Loc: NSW,Australia
Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #233064 - 28/07/13 08:15 PM

I have been shooting sporting clays for the last three years, shoot ISSF trap for 10 years before that and DTL before that. Sporting Clays is a great discipline, the variety of targets keeps you constantly interested and is great practice for those days out in the field. Next few months we have the state and national championships coming up so lots of practice. Anyone looking for a great day out Sporting Clays is the answer.

StephenCoker
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/11
Loc: AR, United States of America
Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: Rigby350]
      #233142 - 30/07/13 07:26 AM

Sounds like there are a few of us here! I shot competitively for a few years. I absolutely love the sport. It never got old for me. I quickly noticed it had many positive impacts to other sports due to training you to really learn how to look at an object in motion and slow it down from this orange blur, to this highly detailed target that just floats out there for you! I noticed my traditional bowhunting skills, and my action pistol shooting skills went through the roof when I shot sporting clays competitively. I also I found I picked game animals out from their background much more quickly.

I've shot a lot of guns. I had a Blaser F3 I was very fond of, but I also like the K-80s. A 32", trim, 20 bore Perazzi was equally nice in a completely different way. I have decided, that I will use a vintage gun when I return to the sport. It just makes me happy to do so, and that is what I hunt with. And like a good friend and mentor once told me, "...unlike others, never let using traditional equipment be an excuse for missing"! My profile/avatar picture shows me shooting a 16b Dickson round action at an event.

--------------------
www.stephencokerandco.com
Uniquely superlative rifles in the Scottish tradition.

StephenCoker
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/11
Loc: AR, United States of America
Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: StephenCoker]
      #233143 - 30/07/13 07:38 AM

I am jealous of you European's trap ranges though. We call it international, or Olympic trap here in the US to differentiate it from the standard trap. There are so few of those ranges here in the US. I had the opportunity to shoot at a privately owned one a couple of hours from my house. The gentleman who owned it's daughter is an Olympic competitor. It was a very humbling experience, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wish we had more of them in the US.

--------------------
www.stephencokerandco.com
Uniquely superlative rifles in the Scottish tradition.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#233570 - 05/08/13 03:08 PM

I just got back home from four days at the U.S. Western Open. Great time, I shot 700 targets over the four days and did very well in my class (earned punches up to the next level). Some really great shooters were there, Zachary Kienbaum won it and Theo Ribbs and Mike Wilgus were runner ups for HOA honors.

What is there to say about the host range, Top Gun? It's the Pebble Beach of sporting clays, if you want to shoot the best range you need to come to the next U.S. Western Open (Top Gun is a private range).

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
      #233713 - 07/08/13 05:40 PM

When I lived on the East Coast and had oodles of sporting clays courses in a 1-2 hour driving range my wife and I shot almost every weekend. Warm up on a skeet field (not actually shooting a round, just working on some target presentations), and then doing a couple of rounds of sporting clays.

I am a SxS man through and through and I got a Fabarms Golden Lion 12 gauge specifically for a SxS clays and occasional waterfowl gun. Its not the most elegant gun, but its a double trigger, SxS that is built like a tank!

My wife really got into it: I had her do a gun fitting and got her a little O/U Beretta 20 gauge. She even got to a point where she went bird hunting with me etc.

Now, in Hawaii we only have two sporting clays ranges and they are on other islands than where I live. So I only get to shoot it 2-3 times a year when I go to Lanai to hunt deer. I do miss it. However, we do have excellent wild upland bird hunting so its a good trade off

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: Chasseur]
      #233720 - 07/08/13 07:15 PM

I enjoy sporting clays when I do it. Only rarely and always plan to do it more, when more time is available ...

Used to shoot annually an informal sporting clays shoot on a private ground. A day of skeet shooting, trap shooting, and a sporting clay shoot, an a annual private shoot, invitation only. The owners of the property have trap towers and a skeet range setup. And the sporting range was organised prior to the day each year, with simulated ducks over a dam, rabbits running, pheasants etc.

Followed by a dinner and fun awards in the evening.

It was always a good day.

Unfortunately it hasn't been held for a year or two for personal reasons in the owner's family. And the organiser moving inter-state. Many decades it was run, and I was always disappointed to miss it if appointments collided.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: NitroX]
      #233730 - 08/08/13 12:55 AM

Chasseur,

Interesting that you are in Hawaii. In the last round on Sunday I had two guys that were up from Hawaii on my squad.

Edited by SharpsNitro (08/08/13 05:08 AM)

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #233747 - 08/08/13 04:12 AM

Sharps: small world!

On Oahu (where I live and where Honolulu is) there are a couple of trap and skeet clubs both at the public range and a some at the various military bases. So I imagine the guys probably came from one of these groups. There are two sporting clays ranges, one on Lanai and the other on Maui. The Lanai range does quite a fair number of tournaments and has done some fun celebrity shoots in the past. The shooting instructors there were students of Jack Mitchell and are really good at helping you improve your shooting.

I occasionally shoot in a couple of trap and skeet clubs on island, but we have sort of different views on trap and skeet. The clubs here really like to shoot the games of trap and skeet for score (high gun, etc.) and I tend to shoot various presentations to work on my shooting. I'd rather work on problems on specific target presentations rather than just got around the course shooting all 25 etc. Some of the guys there do not have much patience for someone shooting low gun and not actually shooting a round for score. Just different points of view.

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: Chasseur]
      #233752 - 08/08/13 05:17 AM

I think these guys were from Maui. I don't spend much time on the trap and skeet fields, mostly I'm on the sporting clays range and occasionally shoot a round of 5-Stand or wobble skeet. Outside of registered shoots all the people I shoot sporting with are out to have fun and practice, they are pretty low key during the registered shoots as well. For sporting I shoot a mounted gun because it makes sense, as hunting season gets closer I'll break out my field gun and shoot some low gun. I would like to try FITASC sometime as it's more closely connected to shooting game birds.

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #233832 - 09/08/13 06:34 AM

Alright - great to know about you guys.

Quote:

I quickly noticed it had many positive impacts to other sports due to training you to really learn how to look at an object in motion and slow it down from this orange blur, to this highly detailed target that just floats out there for you! I noticed my traditional bowhunting skills, and my action pistol shooting skills went through the roof when I shot sporting clays competitively. I also I found I picked game animals out from their background much more quickly.

Great points Stephen - I can asure you it works on shooting driven boars and all those "thrown" shots where you don't think of aiming! Further more - all it takes just visualise that orange disk between the charging elephant's ears or on the nose of a buff...instinctively - it works!

I guess it is the closest our Western culture will get to owing its own martial art - it involves everithing there is - sure you learn alot about yourself!

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #235294 - 08/09/13 11:59 AM

August in South Texas means lots of corporate events, fundraising shoots, and the Dove Hunters Summer League.

Beverages are allowed after shooting. In the summer heat these things go down like a prom date.

92 out of 100 at the American Subcontractor's Association Shoot.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: Sporting Clays Anybody? [Re: Cazadero]
      #235392 - 10/09/13 11:09 AM

Well done. Our club has the biggest corporate shoot this year next week, I'll likely help out as a volunteer.

So far, I've designed and set one course (for our July registered shoot) and been responsible for our September shoot last Saturday. It's a lot of work to set a course but somebody has to do it, we are an all volunteer club.

Edited by SharpsNitro (10/09/13 11:10 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7189

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com