Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Vektor Mauser Action Opinions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Vektor Mauser Action Opinions
      #232752 - 21/07/13 10:22 AM

My friend Yochanan has recently bought two of these and the gentleman who sold these to him has a few more for sale. I am considering buying one. I have the highest regard for both these mens' opinions, but am wondering if anyone here has any experiences with these actions / rifles built with them. Any inputs would be appreciated, especially since it will take some paperwork and associated red tape to import them from Norway into the USA.

Thanks for the opinions in advance, and good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Vektor Mauser Action Opinions [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #232761 - 21/07/13 12:58 PM

Mehul, I have built a 416 rigby on one of these actions. They were manufactured in RSA by Vektor, who was shut down by the government a couple of years ago. It is a much sought after action. The last lot that was available was bought up by someone in Norway.

The only problem is that if you need spares it must be made, like a broken firing pin. No spares are available, but it is a good reliable action of very high quality.

With a little bit of luck I will get my 416 Rigby this week.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: Vektor Mauser Action Opinions [Re: SAHUNT]
      #232767 - 21/07/13 03:48 PM

Hi Jaco.

Can the k.... government shut down a private company?.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Vektor Mauser Action Opinions [Re: rigbymauser]
      #232768 - 21/07/13 04:08 PM

Good opinions from those who got hold of some here
in Australia.

If you managed to grab two for yourself,
good on you as they are scarce.

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: Vektor Mauser Action Opinions [Re: 500Nitro]
      #232773 - 21/07/13 07:34 PM

Quote:

They were manufactured in RSA by Vektor, who was shut down by the government a couple of years ago. It is a much sought after action. The last lot that was available was bought up by someone in Norway.

It was this quy (linked below).

http://www.arms-ammo.no/

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #232778 - 21/07/13 09:00 PM

Quote:

Mehul, I have built a 416 rigby on one of these actions. They were manufactured in RSA by Vektor, who was shut down by the government a couple of years ago. It is a much sought after action. The last lot that was available was bought up by someone in Norway.

The only problem is that if you need spares it must be made, like a broken firing pin. No spares are available, but it is a good reliable action of very high quality.

With a little bit of luck I will get my 416 Rigby this week.

Jaco,
If I remember correctly the firing pin is the same as the original Magnum mauser, although I have read somewhere the Vektor pin is made from stainless. From what I know there been a few modifications to the Vektor compared the original magnum mauser(barrel thread is slightly longer, recoil lug is moved forward so there is more wood between recoil lug and magazine, bolt is of slightly larger diameter, better steel than the old actions) Actions are very "mauser compatible" so whatever spared needed for the actions would not be hard to find, not much that can break on a mauser action to start with Casey Lewis who managed the project is a serious mauser collector. Rumour has it that the team used some original magnum mauser actions from Casey's collection to measure and design the Vektor.

I got two actions, at the moment, and may have to get a third - hopefully it will cure my headache...

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

jvw
.300 member

Reged: 15/05/08
Loc: Australia
Re: Vektor Mauser Action Opinions [Re: Yochanan]
      #232791 - 22/07/13 03:12 AM

The project wasn't shut down by the government here in SA, they were shut down because they couldn't turn a profit.

I will not name any names but the long and the short of it was that the project started off with six employees (lean and mean) and ended up with almost 40. The fact that you're a so-called "Mauser expert and collector" does not really make you an expert, even if you can fly a Mirage and lie and steal like a teeth puller. On the engineering side Vektor was also terribly let down - at the end the guy who was in charge felt the need to engage the services of one Arthur B Alphin to "teach" them how to glass-bed rifles (in exchange for a not-so-inconsiderable fee). Needless to say, it was an unmitigated disaster. there were people in the know in SA who knew (much) better but they were never properly listened to.

The Vektor Magnum Mauser project died as a result of piss poor management, not a black African government (bad as that may be). Anyone who insists on the contrary (tempting as it may be) simply does not know the real history of the project. That, and some people masquerading as Mauser experts (Mauser thieves would be closer to the truth) and Mauser engineers (substitute total Mauser and management novices in this regard) are really to blame. Vektor had a standing order for 200 actions a year from the British gun trade in the late 1990's and the prima donna's in charge scoffed at the idea at the time.

Piss poor management sunk the Vektor Magnum Mauser action. As simple as that.

When all is said and done, however, the Vektor is a very, very fine platform for anything worthy of a Magnum Mauser action. It will not let you down.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Vektor Mauser Action Opinions [Re: jvw]
      #232793 - 22/07/13 04:45 AM

"Vektor had a standing order for 200 actions a year from the British gun trade in the late 1990's and the prima donna's in charge scoffed at the idea at the time."

Jesus, at the right price you would hav esold that many in Aus a year.

I know people here were screaming for them but just couldn't get them.

A well priced Magnum Mauser action, especially one designed
for the cartridges and also available in left hand, all they had to do was get orders, press the machine button and they would have sold them all.

500Nitro
.450 member

Re: Vektor Mauser Action Opinions [Re: 500Nitro]
      #232794 - 22/07/13 05:34 AM

I hate to think how many Magnum Mauser actions they could
have sold in the US.

SAHUNT
Sponsor

Reged: 27/12/04
Loc: Centurion, RSA
Re: Vektor Mauser Action Opinions [Re: rigbymauser]
      #232804 - 22/07/13 04:50 PM

Quote:

Hi Jaco.

Can the k.... government shut down a private company?.

Vektor was part of the Denel group. The government funded Denel(Armskor)to develop weapons for the SADF during the apartheid years. When the ANC took over there was no need for a lot of the companies in the Denel group, which was subsequently closed down.

Most of the companies in the Denel group also did business with the private sector to help offset the cost to the government. It was not a private co, it was a state owned co.
jvw explains the rest of the reasons, if you don't bring in the money there is no reason to keep it going. Sad but true. The people who is lucky enough to have one, have a very good action.

--------------------
Life is how you pass the time between hunting trips.
Sometimes I do not express myself properly in the English language, please forgive me, I am just a boertjie.
Jaco Human
jacohu@mweb.co.za
SA Hunting Experience

Edited by SAHUNT (22/07/13 04:57 PM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #232805 - 22/07/13 05:18 PM

It is a shame Vektor went bust. I had heard good things about their actions.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5639

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com