Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Capreolus
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/13
Loc: UK
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #232808 - 22/07/13 09:02 PM

I have just ordered Ellis Browns book and eagerly await its arrival.
Perhaps then some of my questions will be a little better informed.
The Game Fair was great fun with some very interesting things on show.
The first was an "India" .700 Nitro Express by William Evans, bejewelled, gillded and encrusted within an inch of its life, which however was eclipsed by one of their most delicate .243 sxs you could ever imagine.
A real show stopper for me was the Chapuis 9,3 x74R sxs built on a 28 gauge frame that was as light and responsive as a conductors baton.
Finally there was an old Spanish 20 bore sxs with semi-pistol grip, cheek piece, fences, Greener cross bolt. Disc set strikers and provision for sling swivels on the under-rib (£250 on the price ticket).
I thought I would check with the book before trying to buy the gun. The gunshop is reasonably close and might offer a bit of a deal.
I should have taken some photos but we were a bit busy on the stand with most of the enquiries being about driven boar hunts in Croatia.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: Capreolus]
      #232814 - 23/07/13 04:03 AM

You said, "Finally there was an old Spanish 20 bore sxs with semi-pistol grip, cheek piece, fences, Greener cross bolt. Disc set strikers and provision for sling swivels on the under-rib (£250 on the price ticket).
I thought I would check with the book before trying to buy the gun."
If you are considering this for 9.3x74R conversion, I would feel more comfortable about it if it were proofed for a magnum 20 gauge, which it may be, you didn't say, based on what I previously had told you about my Francotte conversion and similar conversions that I have made. However, such a conversion may very well work on a non magnum 20 gauge, but that is unproven ground, in my experience, as I have never done that, and I know nobody who has.
Bear in mind, that this Chapuis 9.3, on a 28 gauge frame, is on a modern day frame made from high strength modern alloy steel, generally many times stronger than common mild steel frames used in the past for classic double guns/rifles, so one cannot directly compare modern high strength alloy steel frames to old classic frames of the past. Many guys overlook this very important issue, since they know no better. Such ignorance can lead to broken frames, during proofing, or worse.

Capreolus
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/13
Loc: UK
Re: Calibres for a .410 double rifle conversion [Re: doubleriflejack]
      #232823 - 23/07/13 08:09 AM

Let me just reassure you that all potential double rifle projects are on hold until I have at least read the book!

In regard to the Chapuis - I was captivated by it's balance, pointability and responsiveness, what it would be like to shoot I don't know. The salesman however assured me that recoil was not an issue and that the £4.5k would be money well spent!

Does anyone have a really good accountant who doesn't ask questions about the amount of "Projection Equipment" I invest in each year?! I think I may be able to invest in one more "Distance Learning Tool" this financial period.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9314

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com